British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   IT work in Tauranga (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/work-tauranga-899462/)

amalfi76 Jul 11th 2017 8:32 pm

IT work in Tauranga

I'm currently in the UK and considering a move back to NZ. I already have NZ residency which I obtained when I was living in Auckland a few years ago. Does anyone have any recent experience of finding IT work in Tauranga? I have around 10 years experience in IT, mainly in support. I've contacted a job agency in Tauranga who were helpful but suggested it can be a long process finding IT work there.

escapedtonz Jul 12th 2017 12:48 am

Re: IT work in Tauranga

First of all, what visa do you have as it is printed on the sticker. Read the text carefully and check if there are any conditions.
If you have PRV (Permanent Residency Visa) then all should be well and good and you'll be able to come and go as you please, however if you only had RV (Resident Visa) the travel conditions that are applied to that visa may mean it expired after 2 years and when you left the country.
A friend of mine is an IT technician. Works in Tauranga and found his job easily enough but not really sure if it's still easy in that line of work. There has been a massive influx of people here recently and jobs are pretty difficult to secure as there's so much more competition and it is a relatively small city population 130 000 ish.

carcajou Jul 12th 2017 2:53 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12292214)
First of all, what visa do you have as it is printed on the sticker. Read the text carefully and check if there are any conditions.
If you have PRV (Permanent Residency Visa) then all should be well and good and you'll be able to come and go as you please, however if you only had RV (Resident Visa) the travel conditions that are applied to that visa may mean it expired after 2 years and when you left the country.
A friend of mine is an IT technician. Works in Tauranga and found his job easily enough but not really sure if it's still easy in that line of work. There has been a massive influx of people here recently and jobs are pretty difficult to secure as there's so much more competition and it is a relatively small city population 130 000 ish.

Yes to all of that -

1. Check your visa fine print very carefully
2. In recent times Tauranga/Bay of Plenty has become a "hot destination" due to its geographic location and proximity to Auckland (ie, it is absorbing a lot of the run-off from there).
3. NZ can be an insular place as you would know from having already lived in country. You will probably have to already be "on the ground" to find work.

amalfi76 Jul 13th 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely a PRV (I made sure I had that before I left NZ!).

I fear it might be tough to find work so I'll just have to try to get as much money saved up as possible. Auckland is an option, but it seems to getting harder to live a decent lifestyle there.