British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Work to Residence - Can someone please explain the advantages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/work-residence-can-someone-please-explain-advantages-437844/)

claireh1981 Mar 27th 2007 11:11 am

Work to Residence - Can someone please explain the advantages

I am a teacher, so my profession is on the skills shortgae list. From what i understand I have to apply for a work to residence vis as opposed to a PR. How does this benefit me? As far as I can see applying through the work to residency route means that I have to stay in my job for 2 years, then apply for residency, then wait a further 5 for citizenship.

This seeems rather like I am losing out. Surely it means I would have to leave if anything went wrong with job?, that I owuld have to go through all the paperwork twice, that I will have to wait an extra 2 years for citizenship? It seems like I am being penilised for having a skill NZ want?

I may be totally wrong here, but save the advantage of getting into the country a bit quicker I can't see any benefit whatsoever.

Could someone please enlighten me? :confused:

Lenmil Mar 27th 2007 11:49 am

Re: Work to Residence - Can someone please explain the advantages

Originally Posted by claireh1981 (Post 4566804)
I am a teacher, so my profession is on the skills shortgae list. From what i understand I have to apply for a work to residence vis as opposed to a PR. How does this benefit me? As far as I can see applying through the work to residency route means that I have to stay in my job for 2 years, then apply for residency, then wait a further 5 for citizenship.

This seeems rather like I am losing out. Surely it means I would have to leave if anything went wrong with job?, that I owuld have to go through all the paperwork twice, that I will have to wait an extra 2 years for citizenship? It seems like I am being penilised for having a skill NZ want?

I may be totally wrong here, but save the advantage of getting into the country a bit quicker I can't see any benefit whatsoever.

We did the work to PR as we got turned down for PR in 2003. You should be able to get PR, but the rules do keep changing and that was how we got caught out. But in 2005 while in NZ we applied for PR after 6 months of living and working there. And all was going ok, but we had to leave and give it up. We have since tried again and got PR. If you really want to get in then do what's the best for you. When we originally tried it you only haved to live there 3 years for citizenship, now it is 5. Best of luck.

ceri75 Mar 27th 2007 12:07 pm

Re: Work to Residence - Can someone please explain the advantages

Originally Posted by claireh1981 (Post 4566804)

Hi there... if your skill is on the shortage list , you should have no problem at all applying for PR through the skilled migrant route.