British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Work permit or residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/work-permit-residency-445448/)

Nisey Apr 27th 2007 12:52 pm

Work permit or residency

Ok,

so if all goes well on our reccie and I get a job offer or three, we will need to sort out getting visas etc.

We will want to become residents, so I understand the work to residency route but I'm a bit put off by the idea of multiple applicaions for hubby and the kids.

So my question is, if we apply all together through an EOI and get hauled out the pool (by reckoning I will have 210 points) will they grant a work permit whilst they assess and process the residency application or do you have to wait for the whole process to complete first.

I've tried to ask that as simply as I can but no doubt I'll be confused by the answers.........I can but try

happynz Apr 27th 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Work permit or residency

210 points!? My, but you are a rare bird. Congratulations on being able to tick all those boxes on the right side of the form.
:)
Right, if you find an employer who is able and willing to sponsor you, you bring your documentation to the nearest NZIS office (job offer, proof that the employer has permission to hire foreigner or evidence that a local couldn't be found, proof of relationship between you and your partner, etc. Whilst you are in New Zealand for your nosey around it would be a good idea to ring or go into a NZIS office and ask them what documents are necessary for a work permit). If that's sorted you need to fill out student visa and permits for your kids and a form for your partner (your partner will actually have a better permit as it will not be tied to any sponsoring employer).
If the work permit is less than a year you won't need police clearance forms nor medicals. However, if the work permit is granted for a time exceeding one year you are going to have to get those.

So my question is, if we apply all together through an EOI and get hauled out the pool (by reckoning I will have 210 points) will they grant a work permit whilst they assess and process the residency application or do you have to wait for the whole process to complete first.
I don't see any problem with it. I think the NZIS is savvy enough to know that life goes on whilst applications are being processed. If you keep the offices apprised of what your situation is I'm sure you'll be fine.

preetsangha Apr 27th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Nisey (Post 4705115)
Ok,

I've tried to ask that as simply as I can but no doubt I'll be confused by the answers.........I can but try

My recommenddation is based on the following quote from immi in london "we don't issue work permits while a residency application is in progress" - like I said else where I nearly lost my job offer because originally I was told they could. I was lucky that the residency was expidited, but I'd recommend that get the work permit and get over, then apply for residency it should be much easier that way (well you would think so :-)

Good luck

Leighlou Apr 27th 2007 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by preetsangha (Post 4707972)
My recommenddation is based on the following quote from immi in london "we don't issue work permits while a residency application is in progress" - like I said else where I nearly lost my job offer because originally I was told they could. I was lucky that the residency was expidited, but I'd recommend that get the work permit and get over, then apply for residency it should be much easier that way (well you would think so :-)

Good luck

Hiya Guys,
Hope that you do not mind me butting in, but just wanted to ask, can anyone get a work permit? I thought that this was only available to those under 30, or have I got this wrong?
Thanks, Leighlou.

preetsangha Apr 27th 2007 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4708016)
Hiya Guys,
Hope that you do not mind me butting in, but just wanted to ask, can anyone get a work permit? I thought that this was only available to those under 30, or have I got this wrong?
Thanks, Leighlou.

I was under the impression that work permits were hard unless you were in demand (it, nursing, etc) and already had a job offer or were a youngster

happynz Apr 27th 2007 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4708016)
Hiya Guys,
Thanks, Leighlou.

You are thinking of the Work Holiday Visa. The work visa is another type of visa. I got my first one when I was forty-five years old. Finally pulled finger and got sorted with PR three months shy of my fiftieth birthday.
What can I say, I'm always putting things off.
;)

Leighlou Apr 28th 2007 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 4708135)
You are thinking of the Work Holiday Visa. The work visa is another type of visa. I got my first one when I was forty-five years old. Finally pulled finger and got sorted with PR three months shy of my fiftieth birthday.
What can I say, I'm always putting things off.
;)

Hi HappyNZ, thanks for this. I am a bit confused still though as I had thought that we had got to the point where all doors were closed to us other than coming out to NZ on a tourist visa and trying to get a job with no visa and once have managed to secure a job, apply for a PR that way. We currently only have 105 points and are being realistic about our chances of being selected (being slim to none). Is it possible for us to apply for a 1 year work permit when looking for a job in IT sector? (OH has the relevant work experience but not the degree in this field also required to enable him to claim the points for it). Sorry if I am being thick, but I honestly thought that we could not apply for work permit. :eek:
Thanks, Leighlou.

happynz Apr 28th 2007 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4709954)
Hi HappyNZ, thanks for this. I am a bit confused still though as I had thought that we had got to the point where all doors were closed to us other than coming out to NZ on a tourist visa and trying to get a job with no visa and once have managed to secure a job, apply for a PR that way. We currently only have 105 points and are being realistic about our chances of being selected (being slim to none). Is it possible for us to apply for a 1 year work permit when looking for a job in IT sector? (OH has the relevant work experience but not the degree in this field also required to enable him to claim the points for it). Sorry if I am being thick, but I honestly thought that we could not apply for work permit. :eek:
Thanks, Leighlou.

Yes, it is quite possible to get a work permit. The deal is that the employer must have prior permission to hire foreigners or be able to demonstrate to NZIS that reasonable efforts have been made to hire suitable Kiwis but none have been found. Your partner would then have to show that he has experience in the job and is uniquely qualified to undertake employment in New Zealand. Be sure that all of your partner's relevant work experience is documented.

So yeah. It's possible. Quick example -- our last work permit in 2005 was based on my wife's job as a sewing machinist. My wife is Thai, she can speak English but doesn't really read nor write English, but she has over ten years experience in her craft (documented, which is important). We were issued a work permit for one-and-a-half years. It would have been a three year visa and permit but my wife's passport would have been expired.

So yeah, if you decide to come to New Zealand and apply for work make sure you have every scrap of paper proving your work experience, educational achievements, your identity and proof of relationship.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you and yours.

Leighlou Apr 28th 2007 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 4710075)
Yes, it is quite possible to get a work permit. The deal is that the employer must have prior permission to hire foreigners or be able to demonstrate to NZIS that reasonable efforts have been made to hire suitable Kiwis but none have been found. Your partner would then have to show that he has experience in the job and is uniquely qualified to undertake employment in New Zealand. Be sure that all of your partner's relevant work experience is documented.

So yeah. It's possible. Quick example -- our last work permit in 2005 was based on my wife's job as a sewing machinist. My wife is Thai, she can speak English but doesn't really read nor write English, but she has over ten years experience in her craft (documented, which is important). We were issued a work permit for one-and-a-half years. It would have been a three year visa and permit but my wife's passport would have been expired.

So yeah, if you decide to come to New Zealand and apply for work make sure you have every scrap of paper proving your work experience, educational achievements, your identity and proof of relationship.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you and yours.

Thanks so much for this. V. helpfull. Sorry, but just one last question: Is it possible to apply for a work permit without a job offer, or does the offer have to come first?:confused:
Thanks HappyNZ - Leighlou :thumbup:

happynz Apr 28th 2007 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4711677)
Thanks so much for this. V. helpfull. Sorry, but just one last question: Is it possible to apply for a work permit without a job offer, or does the offer have to come first?:confused:
Thanks HappyNZ - Leighlou :thumbup:

No, you must have a job offer to get a work permit. The employment could be in an area where there is no need to prove that a local Kiwi could be hired, otherwise your prospective employer has to demonstrate that no qualified Kiwi could be found and that you have the skills and experience to do the job.
So, sorry. No job offer, no work permit.

Leighlou Apr 29th 2007 12:12 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 4711734)
No, you must have a job offer to get a work permit. The employment could be in an area where there is no need to prove that a local Kiwi could be hired, otherwise your prospective employer has to demonstrate that no qualified Kiwi could be found and that you have the skills and experience to do the job.
So, sorry. No job offer, no work permit.

Oh! Well, back to the old plan of coming over on a tourist visa:( . I just thought for a bit there, we could get a permit and then find a job, thinking this would make it easier to land a job, :( Och well, if it was all so easy everyone would do it hey!:thumbup:
Thanks for your time though, much appreciated.:thumbsup: