Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work permit questions

Work permit questions

Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough
Default Work permit questions

We are hoping that my OH will shortly be getting a job offer and they will want him to start around June. We haven't submitted an EOI yet as we only have 55 points without a job offer - 105 with a job offer. Is it possible to obtain a work permit and apply for PR simultaneously as PR is likely to take many months to sort out and we could at least have a work permit so he could start work?
If he applies for a work permit for 12 months can we get student visas for kids and import our worldly goods without paying GST? Or is it best to go for a 2 or 3 year visa and go through the police checks/medicals?
Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:34 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Work permit questions

Originally Posted by Dezza
Is it possible to obtain a work permit and apply for PR simultaneously as PR is likely to take many months to sort out and we could at least have a work permit so he could start work?
I suppose you could.

Remember the difference between a visa and a permit. The visa allows you entry into the country for stated reasons and the permit is what you will receive upon arrival and will allow you to undertake the conditions listed on your visa.
If he applies for a work permit for 12 months can we get student visas for kids
Absolutely, if they are of primary or secondary school age (5 to 18).
...and import our worldly goods without paying GST?
I don't know. I came here with a couple of bags and I have no experience in bringing over furniture and the like. Sorry, I'm in no position to comment about that.
...or is it best to go for a 2 or 3 year visa and go through the police checks/medicals?
It looks like you are going to go for residency eventually. My gut instinct says go for the twelve month permit initially and see if New Zealand really is a fit for you and yours. If after six months in it's cool, go ahead and get the ball rolling. If New Zealand isn't for you, you at least won't be out the funds invested in medicals.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks
My humble advice is nothing to be grateful about.

Good luck.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Work permit questions

Thanks for that
Does anyone know whether we will have to pay import taxes on our household goods if we enter NZ with a 1 year work permit?