British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   work permit experiences (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/work-permit-experiences-459054/)

paul walters Jun 17th 2007 10:30 am

work permit experiences

we've had valuations done on the house and are ready to inform the estate agent that we wan't to put it on the market. I'm aiming to come over and find work while on visitors visa, get job offer then apply for a work permit. I just wanted to ask if this is still possible, check that any legislation hasn't been brought in since I last enquired. Has anybody got any experiences to share?

Thanks Paul and family

rockape Jun 17th 2007 11:12 am

Re: work permit experiences

Hi,
I am going over in August as got job offer, and just got all paper wprk sorted.
The only infomation I can advise is get your police clearance certificates done and take as much of your qualification certificates with you.
And anything else you think you need.

Good luck on your job hunting theres plenty out there.

Best Regards

paul walters Jun 17th 2007 12:55 pm

thanks for the reply. are you applying for a work visa after you arrive or have you managed to get residency already?
I've sent for police checks and I've got quite a lot of the paperwork already. I was just wanting to confirm that I could apply for a work permit while on a visitors visa. I'm in the long term skills shortage category.

Thanks Paul.

eileen35 Jun 17th 2007 1:43 pm

Hi Paul,
we are going the same way. My hubbys in construction work,and we are just selling up here and going for it.
I think the work permits take couple month to come through now,and the job has to be proven that no Kiwi wants it first.
Im still finding things out myself though,
What part are yous heading for?
Eileen

paul walters Jun 17th 2007 3:09 pm

Hi Eileen
we're hoping to tour around first and see what areas we like and if there are job vacancies in those areas. Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch will have the most job oppurtunities, but we like the look of Nelson and Hawkes Bay until we get over there we're just guessing.

Regards Paul......

phil01 Jun 17th 2007 11:45 pm

Yes you can do it that way but as mentioned the permits can take a while to come through and you can't work until you have the permit so you need to be prepared for up to 3 months with no income.

paul walters Jun 18th 2007 5:04 am

thanks phil, just wanted to check before putting house on the market.

Regards Paul.

rockape Jun 18th 2007 6:21 am

Hi Paul,
I'm applying for a work visa for 6-12 months and then if I settle into the job will apply for an extention.
As the time will give me a chance to settlin before the OH comes out after 6 months to see how I'm getting on.
regards
Stan

paul walters Jun 29th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4928771)
Yes you can do it that way but as mentioned the permits can take a while to come through and you can't work until you have the permit so you need to be prepared for up to 3 months with no income.

Hi Phil
I've just been checking through all the details again and discovered that my job is not in the long term skill shortage category but in the immediate skill shortage category! Are they strict about this when applying for a work visa?
Will I have to find employment with an accredited employer?
If I secure a job while in NZ can i apply for a SMC residency? as i will have enough points or do I have to return to the UK and go through the process?
Can you ship out your belongings on a work permit or do you have to wait for 2 years until you get PR if getting in via work to residency?

sorry about all the questions but I'm panicking a bit since I discovered what category the telecom jobs are in.

Regards Paul.

Spacecake799 Jun 30th 2007 12:03 am

Originally Posted by paul walters (Post 4987837)
Hi Phil
I've just been checking through all the details again and discovered that my job is not in the long term skill shortage category but in the immediate skill shortage category! Are they strict about this when applying for a work visa?
Will I have to find employment with an accredited employer?
If I secure a job while in NZ can i apply for a SMC residency? as i will have enough points or do I have to return to the UK and go through the process?
Can you ship out your belongings on a work permit or do you have to wait for 2 years until you get PR if getting in via work to residency?

sorry about all the questions but I'm panicking a bit since I discovered what category the telecom jobs are in.

Regards Paul.

Hi Paul,
We arrived as visitors in November. My husband got an IT job quite quickly and we arranged our work permits. As soon as you have done that you can ship your stuff over. Also we applied for residency in Febuary. We had to wait until OH had a job as we didnt have enough points. We were picked immediately, they waited for us to find some extra points and our ITA was submitted in May. Hope this helps.
Carole