Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work/life balance in NZ?

Work/life balance in NZ?

Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all
Default Work/life balance in NZ?

I was wondering if those already living in NZ could give me a few comments?

What is the work ethic like compared to the uk?

What is the average hourly week?

What is the average holiday entitlement?

What are your experiences like compared to the uk?

Thank you
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Work/life balance in NZ?

You work hard while you are at work, but then after work your time is your own. I have noticed much less "staying at the office to be seen to be staying at the office".

40 hours, generally 8:30 to 5 for offices. although of course this varies heaps depending.

Four weeks minimum holdiay leave by law from April 1 2007 (coming into effect from your anniversary date if you are already working). On top of this is 11 public holidays (eg Christmas, Easter etc). So 31 days total from this year.

IMHO there seems to be much less of the beaurocratic nonsense that goes with "this is my job in this box - I can't possibly help you with anything that isn't strictly defined as MY job". But no doubt I will get into trouble for this opinion.

http://www.ers.dol.govt.nz/holidays_..._holidays.html
http://www.dol.govt.nz/
Old Dec 30th 2006, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perdana
I was wondering if those already living in NZ could give me a few comments? Thank you
I've been in NZ 6 months and have had 2 jobs, with different experiences.
1. Nurse on a hospital ward
2. Practice nurse in community

1. Uptight, all on power struggles.
2. More relaxed attitude

1. 39hrs ++ expected to stay back.
2. 40hrs, leave on time

1. 4 wks + public hols
2. 4 wks + public hols

1. Why do they want to be heroes. Unhelpful & unfriendly, work is their life, their way is best.
2. People go to work only to get a wage at the end, work is not their life. Very friendly and know how to laugh, open to ideas.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

Thank you both for that, really helpful, I know its hard to think of work on New Years Eve!!! Many to you!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:57 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

What is the work ethic like compared to the uk? Work much harder and a lot of little hitlers around

What is the average hourly week? 40 hours officially (8-5) but I'm usually in by 7.30 and hardly ever take a lunch break. On the other hand, I've never been docked any pay if I'm off.

What is the average holiday entitlement? 4 weeks from 1 April 2007.

What are your experiences like compared to the uk? I worked for a couple of companies in London and this job I've got now is quite similar to the first one I worked for. I left
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Batty, really appreciate everyone's opinions.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

What is the work ethic like compared to the uk? Big time stressy, uptight, Hitleresque, power struck, run by MBAs (Manage Bugger All)

What is the average hourly week? 40 + any extra time they require for FREE

What is the average holiday entitlement? 4 weeks + public holidays

What are your experiences like compared to the uk? Laughable