Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work/ life balance?

Work/ life balance?

Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/ life balance?

Originally Posted by davros1984
Bearskin, sightly confused? The vast majority of people I know in Auckland with mortgages are paying in the region of 3-4K a month. There's no getting away from how expensive house prices are here, hence big mortgages. (especially for 1st and 2nd time buyers).

To me its crazy money (hence why I am getting out). By Auckland standards, anything under 2K (if you've bought in the past few years) appears small.
Wouldn't a mortgage payment of $4K take up the whole salary income of someone on a fairly healthy wage? I know you said $3-4K, but at the top end, that would be a colossal % of your family income?
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
Wouldn't a mortgage payment of $4K take up the whole salary income of someone on a fairly healthy wage? I know you said $3-4K, but at the top end, that would be a colossal % of your family income?
I completely agree with you, hence why I keep going on about Auckland house prices and the CoL - its extortionate. And that sort of mortgage repayment isn't even for a fancy house!!!

Whilst we could afford that in our current position, would I want to be paying that each month for the next 30 years? Hell no! Especially as this week it was announced that all of our jobs are at risk over the next 6 months.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with you, hence why I keep going on about Auckland house prices and the CoL - its extortionate. And that sort of mortgage repayment isn't even for a fancy house!!!

Whilst we could afford that in our current position, would I want to be paying that each month for the next 30 years? Hell no! Especially as this week it was announced that all of our jobs are at risk over the next 6 months.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you davros!!!

I think you are right with the monthly 3 to 4k mortgage payments. I found an article from 2010 in which it said that the average mortgage in Auckland was $572pw; average for central Auckland and the North Shore was $680. Given that the prices of houses as someone on this forum put it only can go up same is probably true for mortgage payments.

Last edited by Assanah; Jan 31st 2014 at 6:37 am.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Work life balance has been an issue on my initial arrival. I recently changed jobs so equilibrium is about to be restored. As for costs of stuff, I did a comparison and itemised it on my blog if you want to have a look. Link is below.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've got my fingers that this will be the start of a great year . You've had a rotten time of it.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope so Bevs. It would be difficult for it to be much worse..
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

stumilburn is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that thread certainly opened up a can of worms didn't it!
My intention was to explain my own opinion of work/life balance and explore others. I find it interesting how people's opinions vary so much and that's great! To me too many people are governed by money. Comparing one country to another regards the cost of things is natural but this seems to eat away at some people too much! And especially the big earners that moan about the cost of things. If they are struggling, what about the average person? So its not and shouldn't be about the money- your life I mean.

Adapt more, change jobs, change location. Everyone on here are adventurous people. Never stand still. Keep making the changes that make yourself happy. And obviously that's different for everyone. Its great hearing about others experiences on here. I use these to keep an open mind on a possible move in the future.

All the best... I m off to Utopia... to the pub I mean! Beer, football, rugby. That s enough to keep me happy today.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree. I compare because its the question I get asked most. I am all for happiness and quality if life. So much so I just took a demotion and a pay cut to get the life balance and happiness back.

Money doesn't buy that now does it?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
I agree. I compare because its the question I get asked most. I am all for happiness and quality if life. So much so I just took a demotion and a pay cut to get the life balance and happiness back.

Money doesn't buy that now does it?
Well done you - life is far too short to not enjoy it.

This is why we are going back to the UK. For us, most things are significantly cheaper, which means we don't have to work as hard or as many hours to be able to afford a basic standard of living. Additionally, we are closer to family and friends - for us, we hope this provides with a better quality of life, although the weather will not be as attractive!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Well done you - life is far too short to not enjoy it.

This is why we are going back to the UK. For us, most things are significantly cheaper, which means we don't have to work as hard or as many hours to be able to afford a basic standard of living. Additionally, we are closer to family and friends - for us, we hope this provides with a better quality of life, although the weather will not be as attractive!
With respect Davros your view represents many in your generation. I see it in my own family from those around your age. Getting ahead means working hard and being patient, something that has to be learned this day and age. My generation knew that as it was how our parents had to get ahead. I learned very quickly when living overseas that comparisons with home brought with it a lot of discontent. My advice to anyone who is unable to let that go would be to think very hard about going home as the pain it brings is just not worth it.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
With respect Davros your view represents many in your generation. I see it in my own family from those around your age. Getting ahead means working hard and being patient, something that has to be learned this day and age. My generation knew that as it was how our parents had to get ahead. I learned very quickly when living overseas that comparisons with home brought with it a lot of discontent. My advice to anyone who is unable to let that go would be to think very hard about going home as the pain it brings is just not worth it.
How will patience help his situation, like us Davros can't afford to put down roots in Auckland. We had to move away from there, we had 2 options, back to the UK or try another place in NZ. Many people don't have both options as if your field of work is only in Auckland it's back to the UK and nothing else.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
How will patience help his situation, like us Davros can't afford to put down roots in Auckland. We had to move away from there, we had 2 options, back to the UK or try another place in NZ. Many people don't have both options as if your field of work is only in Auckland it's back to the UK and nothing else.
I know that, I have been there and done that more than once. The only difference is NZ is where we prefer to live which meant we had one less option than you it seems.

It takes a lot of patience to sit tight, go without for 20 - 30 years to pay of a mortgage. But the golden apple that lies at the end makes it worth it.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Unbelievable! Coming most likely from the generation that could buy their first house with a deposit of less than 500 quid.

So as you're so quick to judge, I'll give my 2 cents. I'm 29, I've never taken a gap year, the only time I was off was when I emigrated here (so a whole month). I'm in a senior IT position, the majority of my peers are at least 10 years older than me, I earn a 6-figure salary and lead and manage people who have many years on me and more experience. I leave the house before 7am during the week and don't usually get back till gone 7pm (like tonight). Since 16 I've been focused on IT, I went to Uni, got a good degree in IT (where at least 4 of the 5 days a week - I had full days of lectures, unlike marine biology peers). Since coming to NZ I've been forced to pay off more than half of my student loan (more than what the vast majority appear to do), I've been in full-time work for over 8 years now. During the process I've had to give up rugby, cricket and other hobbies. I've given up a lot of hobbies as my work is ever-controlling. Why do I do this? So I have a chance of affording a house and being able to provide. Even so, in Auckland given the above that is near impossible (well I'd have to keep the above up up for the rest of my working life to even have a slim chance of that - great!).

I have a feeling that previous generations never had so much choice or competition (or the need to save so much), nor did they have to face the 'race to the bottom' as so many of us now do in the globalised world. This is just to be able to provide the norm, especially when I talk to my parents and grand parents generation.

Does the above seem like a good work-life balance? Hence I am moving back to the UK.

Last edited by davros1984; Feb 3rd 2014 at 5:24 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bellasmum;11110098]which meant we had one less option than you it seemsQUOTE]

errr, no. We couldn't ever have afforded to get on the property market up there, you obviously could. And if you think spending 30 years scraping by just to be able to pay off a mortgage on some over priced shed is worth moving to the other side of the world for I've got news for you. It isn't. What a bloody waste of 30 years.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Just my 2 cents worth.
My husband is a New Zealander. His father, after returning from service in the war, was able to secure a very low interest rate loan (as a veteran) and was able to build his home with almost no money down. My husband attended university in New Zealand in the days when it was essentially free. He bought our current house in the early 90s and the value is now more than 8 times what he paid for it. I guess this is where the patience part (aka being a lot older) comes in. Also in his line of work he has the home advantage over migrants, and has had many years to establish a network of contacts.

His father worked hard all his life, my husband works very hard. There is no denying though, they had substantial advantages as to their ability to own a home as compared to the current generation of first time home buyers.

By the way, I have carefully observed how my extended New Zealand family, who don't earn very much, gets by. I won't bore you with details, but I can't imagine anyone who isn't used to such a life could find it bearable, let alone worth migrating for. Let's just say you'd have to learn to live on a miserable and monotonous diet, seriously harden up and supress your desire for physical comfort and forget about your previous notions of hygiene! I guess in a few decades they'll eventually reap the rewards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.