Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work, education & visa advice. Sales manager having decided to try out life abroad

Work, education & visa advice. Sales manager having decided to try out life abroad

Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

kiwipenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work, education & visa advice. Sales manager having decided to try out life abroad

Thanks to everyone for posting, great website! I am looking for advice too but I have opted for detail so I can understand if you choose not to read it!

We returned from NZ last month after a holiday attending my cousin's wedding - he emigrated 5 years ago with his partner, and since we have returned we seem to only talk about one thing. I am 33, my partner of 7 years is 27 and we have an absolutely gorgeous one year old daughter.

For the last 12 years I have been in the leisure industry (caravan holiday parks), starting in sales with one company where I progressed to Sales Manager and then General Manager. In 2009 I was approached by my current employer and accepted a sales management position in a family business in the same industry, on a park that had just been purchased with massive scope for redevelopment - the challenge was very attractive. For comparison advice between the UK and NZ, my current salary in this role is 70-75k inc bonuses. I only give all this detail because the term 'sales manager' often gets used loosely.

I enjoy what I do but for the last year or two I have been considering a change, and as a result I am approx 1/3 through an Open University degree course in Business Management with Accounting. I started this for the personal development and knowledge rather than the qualification.

My partner is a massage therapist and beautician and since our daughter arrived she set up a part time work-from-home company. If we were to emigrate I expect that she would do the same either for herself or for someone else.

I don't want to say I dislike the UK because it is home but we do have an appetite for a family adventure. While we have a nice house and cars, material things are just that. I would rather work to enrich our lives in terms of family and lifestyle rather than feel like a hamster on a wheel. To me our current life in the UK just feels a bit mundane and living abroad has always been a dream of ours.

I have done some research into the options with regard to visas and from what I gather, it looks like I may be offered a visa provided I get a job offer. Without a job offer I suspect we will need to wait until I get my degree – and I will need to finish it rather than just take the modules I want for the knowledge I want to acquire, and even then I think I may need a job offer? My main concern has to be my eligibility in the NZ workplace, and therefore acquiring the associated points to be able to move prior to completing the degree. If all is ok, we’ll be looking to move during the first few months of 2015 and rent initially. We will probably rent our UK house out rather than sell it.

Can anyone advise what the best course of action is for me and my family? While I realise that there is an abundance of info available to read, I wanted to explain our specific circumstances because a thousand heads are better than one.

We are planning to return to NZ for all of January next year to see family, and if we are not in a position to live and work in NZ then the visit will just have to be a holiday, like it was this year!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old May 12th 2014, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

kiwipenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working/education having decided to try out life abroad

Hi,
reading these posts has been fascinating, specially jempen's about how to get a visa with or without a job offer!

We were in NZ for a wedding this year and have decided to move there but we're right at the start - perhaps you guys can also help with some guidance?

I am a sales manager and have been for 12 years, i am 35 years old.
My mrs is a beautician with a level 3 qualificarion, 28 years old, and she wants to be a nurse.
We have an 18 month old daughter.

Based on that limited info, what is the best way to get to NZ? Should I do a degree in business so that my current job carries more clout with immigration? Should I change career? Should the mrs do a degree to qualify as a nurse?

We'd love to be there tomorrow but realistically its going to take years unless I could get a job offer as a sales manager, which sounds improbable as we are in the UK.
If you were in our position, what would be the correct thing to do to get on the right track? (we're both capable of degree education we just havent needed it or fancied it until now..frustratingly I get paid well but in an industry that doesnt exist in NZ and in a career, sales, that wont be recognised as in short supply in NZ)

Thanks!

Last edited by kiwipenguin; May 12th 2014 at 9:29 pm.
Old May 12th 2014, 10:44 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working/education having decided to try out life abroad

Welcome to BE

First to be able to work as a nurse over here you need to of been registered for 3 years. Nursing jobs have had a shake up on the skills list and lots have been removed lately.

There is Procurement Manager on the skills list but not sure if that is the same as a Sales Manager.

Check the lists out http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1
Old May 12th 2014, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work, education & visa advice. Sales manager having decided to try out life abroa

Hi, I cant offer advice on your visa situation but I do have a similar career background to you so I would strongly advise you look at what jobs are available and what they will pay/ if you would be happy in those roles.

I have a degree in corporate communications and 20 years experience at senior management level in sales, sales training, recruitment and corporate development (business management). We came over for my husbands job, but I have found it impossible to get work. Slight caveat in that I can only really work part time, but the jobs in this field are very limited (certainly on South Island). We are currently considering moving to Auckland so that I can return to work. We have found a few comparable full time jobs in Auckland, but I would have to take a significant salary reduction. (I had similar level income to your quote in the UK when I worked full time)
Old May 13th 2014, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Welcome to BE

First to be able to work as a nurse over here you need to of been registered for 3 years. Nursing jobs have had a shake up on the skills list and lots have been removed lately.

There is Procurement Manager on the skills list but not sure if that is the same as a Sales Manager.

Check the lists out http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1
Procurement and sales are on the opposite ends of the business spectrum Mrs F. I only know this because I've lived with a procurement manager for the past 28 years!!!

Kiwipenguin, I think your best bet is to look for a job when you are over next January. Employers are likely to take you more seriously if you are actually in the country. Although my OH got jobs here whilst still in the UK.

We left the UK for similar reasons, wanting to get off the hamster wheel & life feeling rather samey. Guess what, 7+ years in NZ and I feel the same about life here. Infact I feel like I'm just passing time until I die & I'm only 49!!!!So we are looking to spread our wings & head elsewhere.
Old May 13th 2014, 7:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Procurement and sales are on the opposite ends of the business spectrum Mrs F. I only know this because I've lived with a procurement manager for the past 28 years!!!
buying/selling. potato potarto
Old May 13th 2014, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work, education & visa advice. Sales manager having decided to try out life abroa

You may have already approached these companies, but if not....

Top 10 holiday parks are the main holiday park company in New Zealand. www.top10.co.nz
There are small independent holiday parks too in all the main tourist resorts.

In related fields (bach rental) you could try:
www.bookabach.co.nz
www.holidayhouses.co.nz
www.holidayhomes.co.nz

DOC also have basic camping grounds, but are very popular.
www.doc.govt.nz

You could also try holiday booking companies:
www.aatravel.co.nz
www.jasons.co.nz

There are also a huge number of cruises which tour NZ (mostly from Oz of course). You could also investigate Hobbit tourism opportunities.

I'm married to a Kiwi so can't help with visa issues.
Old May 13th 2014, 6:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE

This is the link to the official NZ immi website: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ It's all on there in terms of visas.

Basically there are going to be three main options:

1. Essential skills work visa: this is temporary and is job first, visa application second. If your job is not on any of the skills shortage lists then any employer wishing to offer you a position would have to prove that no NZers were able to do it or have prior approval to hire from overseas from NZIS. If you want to stay permanently then you need residency which means an application via either the SMC or WTR.

2. Work to Residence-WTR: Job first, visa application second. You get issued a 30month work visa and after you have worked in that job for two years then you can apply to become residents. The two relevant streams are Long Term Skills Shortage List which you are not on and Talent[accredited employer]. For the latter you would need a job offer for at least two years from an accredited employer earning >$55,000 pa for a 40hr week. An accredited employer is one that has been pre approved to hire from overseas.

3. Skilled Migrant Category-SMC: This is a residency application and is points based. You need 100 points in order to even start the process, however that does not guarantee success. Currently only those with 140 or more [with or without job offer] and those with 100-135 AND a job offer are being selected to progress further. Most people do need a qualification to apply via this route-it depends on the job description and whether work experience is an acceptable substitute for the formal qualification.

From what you've written you will very likely need a job offer before you can apply for a visa. The SMC is the only visa which does not require one but you need 140 or more in order to stand a chance without one.

Also, there are investment [if you have a BIG lump of cash spare] and business visas if you wish to start your own business.

That's a brief overview. Have a look through that site and come back with any questions you may have. It does sound like finishing your degree would be a good move.

Hope this helps
P