Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work Culture in NZ

Work Culture in NZ

Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Work Culture in NZ

Originally Posted by lisamct
Have to say so far I've found it to be a really positive work culture where I am. I think it's very similar to what I'm used to working as a midwife in the UK.
If anything the team is friendlier, more accepting of the difficulties new staff might have and very sociable and 'bonded' with lots of activities and social events going on pretty regularly. The computer systems at work are a bit dated but no worse than the unit I worked in in the UK 4 years ago and much better than the paperless system (disaster) I left most recently.
Management seem excellent and approachable and have all been keen to insure I'm settling in and have what I need to 'learn' the differences in the job here.

Our team are encouraged to stand up and take initiative in developing new policies/procedures etc and to share innorvations in practice with the rest of the team as well as to strive to improve and enhance our education and practice. I've been encouraged to point out any issues within the unit that I see as a new 'recruit' that could be improved upon and to suggest anything that I've seen work in the past in the UK that might be of use to the unit Im in now.

Sounds idealistic and 'rose tinted' specs I know but that is really the way it is as far as I can see it.
Yeah it does! what sort of reaction have you got when you've suggested doing something in NZ that worked in the UK? that sort of behaviour usually gets poms shunned very quickly. It's early days yet sounds like you're still firmly in the honeymoon stage.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Doesnt everyone hate their job?

Watch the film Office Space - best movie ever!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

mancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tiri
Yeah it does! what sort of reaction have you got when you've suggested doing something in NZ that worked in the UK? that sort of behaviour usually gets poms shunned very quickly. It's early days yet sounds like you're still firmly in the honeymoon stage.
I dont think there is anything worse to kiwis than the "this is how we did it in the uk". Actually.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Dead right, you should see the daggers flashing when you talk about how things are done in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

gocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nice

N.Z. is like a big Amish community in some respects.

everyone is related.

they wear old fashioned clothes.

they insist on using outdated work methods when a more modern example is available.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:32 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gocebe
N.Z. is like a big Amish community in some respects.

everyone is related.

they wear old fashioned clothes.

they insist on using outdated work methods when a more modern example is available.
That would be pretty much a Californians view of Europe
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

gocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
That would be pretty much a Californians view of Europe
not the ones i met in orange county.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:57 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gocebe
not the ones i met in orange county.
Well they let you go
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Dead right, you should see the daggers flashing when you talk about how things are done in the UK.
and your're going to work in Australia???
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Honeymoon stage it may well be but I've actually been asked by my bosses and colleagues to point out anything that I see that I might have ideas of a better way of managing from my UK experiences.
Might help that my managers are from the UK and Australia and the team is very mixed with kiwis, brits, ozzies, africans, fijians etc...

Or maybe its just because we're midwives and not known for matching the 'norm' in most circumstances!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Work Culture in NZ

Originally Posted by mancaucks
I dont think there is anything worse to kiwis than the "this is how we did it in the uk". Actually.
God be careful doing that, you’ll make them angry.

At worst kindly point out that their #8 wire approach could use some improving and gradually move them around with a well reasoned argument. You need to be subtle, sudden change and they’ll think you’ve gone kamikaze or are a heretic. Anything change quicker than glacial is doomed to failure.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you think that is different when Americans working in Europe tell Europeans how it is done in the US? How much better the American way is and how much money they could save? Such things have to be presented in a very subtle and gentle way. You have to be diplomatic.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:56 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Well, you think that is different when Americans working in Europe tell Europeans how it is done in the US? How much better the American way is and how much money they could save? Such things have to be presented in a very subtle and gentle way. You have to be diplomatic.
Ah but we all know things are so much bigger in the good ole US of A...... or so they frequently tell us....
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:03 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

This is just ridiculous. For a start tiri you are clearly in the divorce state of your relationship with NZ....

...but getting back to the point - nobody, nowhere, nohow, likes some smart arse turning up to tell them how to do things. It really doesn't matter where you're from or where you are.

I'm guessing that you don't like me telling you how to post even though I know how to do it better?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisamct
Honeymoon stage it may well be but I've actually been asked by my bosses and colleagues to point out anything that I see that I might have ideas of a better way of managing from my UK experiences.
Might help that my managers are from the UK and Australia and the team is very mixed with kiwis, brits, ozzies, africans, fijians etc...

Or maybe its just because we're midwives and not known for matching the 'norm' in most circumstances!
But I asked what sort of reaction you get when you make the suggestions. Do they nod sagely and say "yes, we need to do this" and then do nothing, or do they actually get on and do something and improve things? It's all well and good saying tell us what's wrong, but acting on it is very different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.