Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Woot! We're all booked up!

Woot! We're all booked up!

Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:05 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Woot! We're all booked up!

We'll be spending the first 3 weeks of April in New Zealand. Expedia was being a bastard and taunted us with only US$1000 each for our return fares. Of course we went to book (it was a day's layover in LA, but who cares if you're saving US$1,500!) and miraculously we couldn't get that price. It had already changed. So we spent about US$1,450 on air fares. Not too shabby really, considering how far we travel and how long we spend in the air.

Watch out New Zealand, here we come!!!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Woot! We're all booked up!

Originally Posted by Maz
We'll be spending the first 3 weeks of April in New Zealand. Expedia was being a bastard and taunted us with only US$1000 each for our return fares. Of course we went to book (it was a day's layover in LA, but who cares if you're saving US$1,500!) and miraculously we couldn't get that price. It had already changed. So we spent about US$1,450 on air fares. Not too shabby really, considering how far we travel and how long we spend in the air.

Watch out New Zealand, here we come!!!
"Be afraid, be VERY afraid!"

Feels GOOD when those flights are FINALLY booked doesnt it!

Nice one Maz!!!

Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:36 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
"Be afraid, be VERY afraid!"

Feels GOOD when those flights are FINALLY booked doesnt it!

Nice one Maz!!!

It feels excellent! I dreamt about NZ for the first time last night. We'd driven from Auckland to Lake Taupo. I was worried about getting the factory settings back on my camera as I'd managed to screw them up somehow. Which actually has happened in real life so I'll need to get that taken care of before we fly over.

Don't tell Buzzy, but we're going with Qantas!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
It feels excellent! I dreamt about NZ for the first time last night. We'd driven from Auckland to Lake Taupo. I was worried about getting the factory settings back on my camera as I'd managed to screw them up somehow. Which actually has happened in real life so I'll need to get that taken care of before we fly over.

Don't tell Buzzy, but we're going with Qantas!
Fantastic! That will soon come round.
Whats up with Qantas? My friend is air crew for them, she does LA to Auckland, she might be serving you drinks!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:44 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Jude J
Fantastic! That will soon come round.
Whats up with Qantas? My friend is air crew for them, she does LA to Auckland, she might be serving you drinks!
Buzzy Bee said in another thread (that naturally I can't find right now, figures) that Qantas sucks. I'd actually never heard that and googled "customer reviews airlines". Qantas got 4 out of 5 stars, so did Air New Zealand. Both my other two options, United Airlines and American Airlines, got 3 out of 5. Air New Zealand was the most expensive, and I've never had a good experience with American. Qantas was cheapest, too, so that sealed the deal.

Yes, we have some planning to do! First off.... what the hell are we going to do with ourselves after landing at 5.10 a.m. on a Monday morning? That's actually quite a concern... we'll head down to Wellington after getting over jetlag, so probably on the Wednesday, then hire a car and pootle around. It's all very exciting!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Buzzy Bee said in another thread (that naturally I can't find right now, figures) that Qantas sucks. I'd actually never heard that and googled "customer reviews airlines". Qantas got 4 out of 5 stars, so did Air New Zealand. Both my other two options, United Airlines and American Airlines, got 3 out of 5. Air New Zealand was the most expensive, and I've never had a good experience with American. Qantas was cheapest, too, so that sealed the deal.

Yes, we have some planning to do! First off.... what the hell are we going to do with ourselves after landing at 5.10 a.m. on a Monday morning? That's actually quite a concern... we'll head down to Wellington after getting over jetlag, so probably on the Wednesday, then hire a car and pootle around. It's all very exciting!
I haven't heard anything bad about them either, but I've not flown with them.
Are you flying or driving to Welly?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:11 pm
Maz

I haven't heard anything bad about them either, but I've not flown with them.
Are you flying or driving to Welly?
Neither. We're taking the Overlander train. It's only $89 or so each, dead cheap, and a great way to sit back and relax, or walk around, too. It takes 12 hours from Auckland to Wellington. We'll hire a car and drive back up to Auckland, taking in more of the east of the island.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
Neither. We're taking the Overlander train. It's only $89 or so each, dead cheap, and a great way to sit back and relax, or walk around, too. It takes 12 hours from Auckland to Wellington. We'll hire a car and drive back up to Auckland, taking in more of the east of the island.
ooohhh I forgot about the train!!! Lucky you, I cant wait to do that, it looks like an awesome journey, and I know the word is over-used here but I only use it if I mean it!
I suppose by the time you've cleared customs etc it will be about 6.30/7am so wont you go straight to a hotel? Do you have one booked? We waited till we were at the airport and booked one there and they came and picked us up.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats on booking your flights Maz
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:14 pm
Maz

ooohhh I forgot about the train!!! Lucky you, I cant wait to do that, it looks like an awesome journey, and I know the word is over-used here but I only use it if I mean it!
I suppose by the time you've cleared customs etc it will be about 6.30/7am so wont you go straight to a hotel? Do you have one booked? We waited till we were at the airport and booked one there and they came and picked us up.
Heh heh... do they overuse "awesome" in NZ as much as in the US? Nope nothing else booked yet! Most hotels don't allow check-in until about 3 pm or so... will have to find a nice friendly one. We intend on finding one that has a shuttle to and from the airport. We won't need a hotel on our return if we don't spend any days in Auckland on the way back, as our flight isn't until 6 pm coming back.

And thank you kwprwn!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:19 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
Heh heh... do they overuse "awesome" in NZ as much as in the US? Nope nothing else booked yet! Most hotels don't allow check-in until about 3 pm or so... will have to find a nice friendly one. We intend on finding one that has a shuttle to and from the airport. We won't need a hotel on our return if we don't spend any days in Auckland on the way back, as our flight isn't until 6 pm coming back.

And thank you kwprwn!
not awesome that much, however "sweet as" nd "a" at the end of every sentance

Adie
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:20 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz

And thank you kwprwn!
Hi Maz,

We did last 2 weeks of April, first week of May this year - and weather was very kind to us. We ended up with too few lightweight clothes and too many Autumnal UK stylie stuff!!

We stayed at the New President in Auckland CBD (might have been Queen St.Don't remember. But great with taxi's and seemed very accommodating.) Rooms- clean, functional, but not luxury. Bet hey, with 4 kids and a view of the Sky Tower lit up at nite - it was cool!! They upgraded us when we stayed on the way back as we phoned wanting a room with a bath. 3 weeks in a campervan, tis funny what you wish for!! We got bath, we got own washing machine, we got 3 double bed suite - for the same price as the family room! Got to be worth a try!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz

And thank you kwprwn!
There is an airport bus to the cbd for cheap ($10 or something like that) or a door to door shuttle service for $25. taxis are expensive, $60 or more.

Even if youre not allowed to get into your room most hotels will let you check in (if your lucky your room might have been free the previous night and ready right away) and leave your bags at reception while you wander off exploring the city for a few hours till your room is ready.

the long wait begins now.....april is still far away....dont get too excited already....

dont try to do too much in three weeks, you could find yourself just hopping around from one place to the next with no time to take it all in...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:08 am
Maz

Wow Caroline, that's an excellent deal! Might have to check them out.

Kiwi, we intend on spending a week in and around Wellington, hopefully relaxing some, too. If our schedule gets too hectic, we're going to leave the car in Welly and just get the train back up to Auckland. If we love it enough to move there, we'll have to save something for our hols when we're there and can't yet afford to go to Oz.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
Wow Caroline, that's an excellent deal! Might have to check them out.

Kiwi, we intend on spending a week in and around Wellington, hopefully relaxing some, too. If our schedule gets too hectic, we're going to leave the car in Welly and just get the train back up to Auckland. If we love it enough to move there, we'll have to save something for our hols when we're there and can't yet afford to go to Oz.

So, Maz, what do you think you are looking for that will be enough to move here? A genuine question by the way! For me it wasn't any one thing, just a special feeling about it that made me feel like I was 'home' that i was meant to be here, cant explain it any better than that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.