British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wooden houses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wooden-houses-525715/)

OneManAndHisDog Mar 31st 2008 9:55 am

Wooden houses

Can anyone bring themselves to live in something that looks like a delapidated shed?

Ted Logan Mar 31st 2008 10:02 am

Re: Wooden houses

Originally Posted by OneManAndHisDog (Post 6135954)
Can anyone bring themselves to live in something that looks like a delapidated shed?

Rather have wood around me than brick when the big one strikes ;)

Though if there's any big bad wolf's around I think I'm knackered :D

BEVS Mar 31st 2008 10:10 am

Can anyone bring themselves to live in something that looks like a dilapidated shed?

Oh dear :unsure: Let the battle about Auckland housing and rentals that allow a dog begin.

It really will not matter whether it's a brick clad or wood clad if and when a 'big one' arrives. It's still a clad.

I s'pose it depends what you are used to dictates what you see as a shed.

Before anyone else rises to the bait & replies to this thread , lets hear it from the man himself, if he will. Then you all at least have a benchmark for the opening comments.

What are you living in and what are you used to OneManAndHisDog please ?

OneManAndHisDog Mar 31st 2008 10:31 am

I'm not sure what you'd classify what I'm currently living in as - it appears like a plaster exterior.

I've traipsed through a number of wooden and breeze-block style homes in the pursuit of finding a house here and was appalled. Most people I work with, unsurprisingly, live in wooden homes and bitch like anything about the damp in the winter. I've so far resisted the temptation to suggest why that may be.

lardyl Mar 31st 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Ted Logan (Post 6135981)
Rather have wood around me than brick when the big one strikes...

of course us Kiwis can teach those under-developed nations still relying on brick, concrete, block, tile and other outmoded constructions a thing or two about living in an earhquake zone.....

after all they are only Americans, Japanese and other nations living in ignorance..........

we grow our own houses and plant them in damp fertile soil from whence we reap all manner of mildew, mould and fungi, cultivating slugs, snails and laughing through weeping windows and frosty breath at the pitiful Pomms in their brick and tile with inefficient central heatingand flashy double glazing.......

as the bloke from Tui says ..... yeah, right.......

OneManAndHisDog Mar 31st 2008 10:52 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6136187)
of course us Kiwis can teach those under-developed nations still relying on brick, concrete, block, tile and other outmoded constructions a thing or two about living in an earhquake zone.....

after all they are only Americans, Japanese and other nations living in ignorance..........

we grow our own houses and plant them in damp fertile soil from whence we reap all manner of mildew, mould and fungi, cultivating slugs, snails and laughing through weeping windows and frosty breath at the pitiful Pomms in their brick and tile with inefficient and flashy central heating.......

yeah, right.......

We then burn wood in our inefficient potboilers and claim somehow we'll magically be the first carbon neutral country in the world.

lardyl Mar 31st 2008 10:57 am

Originally Posted by OneManAndHisDog (Post 6136203)
We then burn wood in our inefficient potboilers and claim somehow we'll magically be the first carbon neutral country in the world.

:lol:
Can't see carbon neutrality hitting the Auckland road network any time soon........:confused:

But at least we grew the wood in the first place !

Our rental is right next to a mightily inefficient one with a person that insists on running the darned wood burner into the spring and covering our washing with soot and making the garden uninihabitable when the wind is in the wrong direction........:mad:

lardyl Mar 31st 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by OneManAndHisDog (Post 6136203)

There's a thought about sheds - we could burn them and put up a tent instead - much less hasstle in an earthquate situation, plus portable in case there is a cyclone or tsunami...........:lol:

happynz Mar 31st 2008 5:10 pm

Look, if you are going to throw a lifetime of money at having a roof over your head this is what you ought to do. Buy the shed, knock it down and build something that you would find acceptable. That would be the logical thing to do unless you prefer being a moaning martyr.

As the sage from Malibu put it, 'Duuuuuuuuuude, like duh!' :)

lardyl Mar 31st 2008 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6137701)
Look, if you are going to throw a lifetime of money at having a roof over your head this is what you ought to do. Buy the shed, knock it down and build something that you would find acceptable. That would be the logical thing to do unless you prefer being a moaning martyr.

As the sage from Malibu put it, 'Duuuuuuuuuude, like duh!' :)

even better buy section and "house" and then sell the shed to a Kiwi for some $$$, before you build, live in a caravan in the meantime and you'll realise what you were missing.......:thumbsup:

happynz Mar 31st 2008 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6138609)
even better buy section and "house" and then sell the shed to a Kiwi for some $$$, before you build, live in a caravan in the meantime and you'll realise what you were missing.......:thumbsup:

Well yeah, there is that...:lol:

dlmckay Mar 31st 2008 10:51 pm

I think it's more the lack of insulation, leading to condensation that makes a house damp - not the fact it's made of wood.

To make a house warm, it needs to have the ground upon which it sits covered with damp proof membrane (or sheets of pvc!), floor/walls/ceiling well covered in thick insulation of your choice.

Brick houses with no insulation are just as damp. There's still plenty of them in the UK, most being let to students ;)

Steve and Julie Mar 31st 2008 11:57 pm

The worst of the worst wooden houses are for sale beside the Blue Chip Stadium. If youve seen them you will know what im talking about. I wouldnt house my mother in law in them so you can imagine how bad they are!!!!!!!!!!!

OneManAndHisDog Apr 1st 2008 12:08 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6138609)

How's about this Des Res then:-

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...htm?key=323401

Nerine Apr 1st 2008 12:21 am

:rofl: Muriwai prices huh?