British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wooden furniture (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wooden-furniture-679090/)

dave77 Jul 31st 2010 8:12 am

Wooden furniture

Without starting to sound like a worryer (may be too late for that!), whats the situation with shipping wooden furniture over in your container?

I've heard that all wood must be sealed or treated. We have a dining room table & chairs, 3 wooden chests of drawers and a small childs bed that we want to bring over. I'm sure that the base of the bed is just untreated pine - does that mean its a no go?

So much to think of!!

mickey_d Jul 31st 2010 8:21 am

Re: Wooden furniture

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8741886)
Without starting to sound like a worryer (may be too late for that!), whats the situation with shipping wooden furniture over in your container?

I've heard that all wood must be sealed or treated. We have a dining room table & chairs, 3 wooden chests of drawers and a small childs bed that we want to bring over. I'm sure that the base of the bed is just untreated pine - does that mean its a no go?

So much to think of!!

As long as it hasn't got pine cones hanging on it you should be OK:rofl:

We brought all our stuff over no probs (we had an untreated pine blanket chest). Wicker/cane furniture is the fussy stuff.

Newfies Jul 31st 2010 10:01 am

All will be fine with indoor furniture, its the outdoor wooden stuff that MAF don't like too much.

We brought everything that we owned plenty of wooden antique furniture some with old wood worm holes in. All went through no problem. We didnt have to seal or treat anything.

We even managed to get a wicker basket through!!!! How I dont know PSS packed everything for us and were good in what we could and couldnt take.

Enjoy the big move x x x

sue1234 Jul 31st 2010 11:45 am

eh Dave your worrying too much:eek:

sirplug Jul 31st 2010 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by sue1234 (Post 8742088)
eh Dave your worrying too much:eek:

Ditto! If it's indoor furniture, it'll be OK

dave77 Jul 31st 2010 5:15 pm

Lol! Thanks peeps, I think you're right Sue I'm worrying too much!

I'm sure all will become clear when the packers come to quote :)

simonsi Aug 1st 2010 6:33 am

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8742536)
I'm sure all will become clear when the packers come to quote :)

I seriously doubt it, we got slightly differing stories from each company....:)

mac917 Aug 1st 2010 6:50 am

It wont be a problem, we brought loads of wood, wicker and even some willow sticks that I have in a tall pot. As long as you declare the stuff that may cause a problem you will be ok. We brought all our wooden patio furniture, we didnt treat it just steam cleaned it ( even brought the bbq ?????)

We had a 40 ft container full and they only confiscated some pine cones off a xmas dec.