Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

woodburners - help please

woodburners - help please

Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default woodburners - help please

Hi there
we've bought a house with a wood burner. we're gonna look to get it changed but in the mean time can I have your help with what wood to buy, in what quantities, what kind of price should i be looking at and how long can I reasonably expect quantities to last. Also - we're in christchurch so anyone got any recommendations on suppliers.

with a view to changing the woodburner - your thoughts please on ways to go - heat pump, gas, etc etc - can't do massive outlay but probably about $3 - $4k - things to consider on what type of heating / where to have it placed / economical useage etc - basically I need to know how to stay warm cheaply - oh by the way the house already has some gas in terms of heating the hot water.

Cheers for your guidance
Vicki
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:50 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: woodburners - help please

Vicki I personally would keep the wood burner but maybe add onto it re heating the other rooms. They give out a brilliant heat in the Winter and are so low maintenance.

As for what type of wood to buy all I know is Pine burns too fast so gum or stuff like that. We never actually bought any wood hubby went round the building sites at weekends and picked up the scraps. That lasted us the whole winter and not once where we cold.

I really miss our w

ps also make sure any wood you get is dry wood. Dont be a dafty like me and think that it meant bone dry haha... it just means all the sap etc has been dried out. Idiot me thought that meant the wood was dry.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Steer clear of builders wood as this will have been treated and can give off noxious fumes.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish
ps also make sure any wood you get is dry wood. Dont be a dafty like me and think that it meant bone dry haha... it just means all the sap etc has been dried out. Idiot me thought that meant the wood was dry.
Thanks for the advice guys
lol scottish - thanks for that - i've seen ads for dry wood and thought the same as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others....our wood burner gives off a fantastic heat in the winter. Keep it!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Thanks for the advice guys
lol scottish - thanks for that - i've seen ads for dry wood and thought the same as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant speak for NZ, but here in Canada, Dry (seasoned) hardwood is the way to go.(at least one season old) if you have a woodburner. Great thing about woodstoves is they still work when the power is out We have one for suplimental heat to keep the oil bill down and provide an emergency backup.

Softwood like pine will burn fast and relatively hot, but mostly that heat then just goes up the chimney faster with the increased draft, so its almost like it gives out less usefull heat, and may create creosote problems, as will burning under aged hardwood. Softwood is OK to get the fire going, but hardwood will heat better.

We are lucky we have Ash to burn, by chance we had a lot of ash trees, but its probably the ideal wood. Its a hardwood, but does not need a lot of seasoning. As far as other hardwoods go, if it doesn't split easily its not dry yet. Well seasoned wood should be well cracked at the ends.

Builders scraps might get you by, although its mostly softwood, but as posted, dont use the pressure treated stuff.

Dont know if they use cords as a unit there. If they do dont confuse a "face cord" and a real cord or a "bush cord" A real cord is 8x4x4feet densely packed. Face cord is just 8x4 by log length. Bush Cord is a truckload. Not the same. Wont comment on how much you need, NZ isn't Canada! Here 4 cords is not an unheard of amount per winter for sole source heating!

Heres a handy link or two (mostly thanks to the Canadian government, maybe NZ has the same?)
http://www.canren.gc.ca/prod_serv/in...d=103&PgId=576
http://www.canren.gc.ca/prod_serv/in...d=103&PgId=614
http://www.canren.gc.ca/prod_serv/in...d=161&PgId=857
http://wiki.ehow.com/Season-Firewood
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/TreeCulti...urningwood.htm

Last edited by iaink; Jan 18th 2006 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

with a view to changing the woodburner - your thoughts please on ways to go - heat pump, gas, etc etc - can't do massive outlay but probably about $3 - $4k - things to consider on what type of heating / where to have it placed / economical useage etc - basically I need to know how to stay warm cheaply - oh by the way the house already has some gas in terms of heating the hot water.

Cheers for your guidance
Vicki
Woodburners in Christchurch have issues of their own... due to the smog problem in winter old burners are being phased out with subsidies available for putting low emissions burners in.
Call the Clean Heat Project on 03 353 9276 for more info, we had someone out to check over our logburner and insulation levels and we were eligible for the subsidies.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:02 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good link for help with knowing what to burn

http://www.heatshops.co.nz/tips.htm
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks again everyone - it's almost an art in itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
still - we came here to experience different things -
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:55 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Ok we have only had our woodburner on a couple of times since we arrived, but it was lovely, and the smell - oooo nice!

We've got a tonne of wood chopped and stored for winter DH says it wont be enough though, so I suppose we better get more done.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Hi there
we've bought a house with a wood burner. we're gonna look to get it changed but in the mean time can I have your help with what wood to buy, in what quantities, what kind of price should i be looking at and how long can I reasonably expect quantities to last. Also - we're in christchurch so anyone got any recommendations on suppliers.

Cheers for your guidance
Vicki
We get our wood from our local transfer station only costs $10 to fill the boot of your car.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:47 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Steer clear of builders wood as this will have been treated and can give off noxious fumes.

Time for confession folks. We used any wood we could find off the sites. When your skint and cold Im afraid beggers cant be chosers.......