Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

wood packing cases

wood packing cases

Old Oct 26th 2015, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

pauljohno1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wood packing cases

In my ignorance I thought I could build my own wood packing cases out of any old wood till I looked it up and the wood has to be kiln dried or treated insome form or another.Looks like fibre board is OK to use. Plan to build them and line them with plastic sheer will this be OK? As bespoke look expensive to buy?What can you use as in fill, polystyrene chips etc?Any insecticides cleared for use that I could put in the boxes just to be on the sure side?
Old Oct 26th 2015, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wood packing cases

Why would you? Sounds like a faff and not a cheap one at that.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Fibre or wafer board is dirt cheap. I have for a example a small lathe I want to take, want to build a case (box) to put it in!
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:12 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

NZ has adopted the ISPM 15 regulations. Even using thin fibre boards you will have to join the corners of the boards so any thicker materials will mean the crates will have to carry the Wheat Stamp. The shipping containers take a fair amount of banging around so the crates need to be quite robust for loading into the containers and journeying. No country takes the timber regulations more seriously than NZ so talk to your shipping agent first.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

That was the plan to for example use 2" strips of the same board to re enforce edges, bottom and corners, Imagine answers from agent like no you have use our crates mate.From my limited net reading and digging around built timber sheet, fibre, plywood etc is OK regardless of thickness?I live in Hull and have seen a couple of local companies that build export crates, problem is I work out of town during the week and just popping in is a no no.

Last edited by pauljohno1; Oct 26th 2015 at 9:35 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

You could try contacting the Ministry for Primary Industries in NZ and asking about regulations but my thought is along the lines of others. To ensure you meet regulations you're going to have to make sure all the wood is fully authenticated with proper documentation that says where you bought it, what it's been treated with etc. It's probably easier and not that much dearer to have the shippers build them. We're bringing some timber furniture with us that's been made from from trees we've grown, felled and cured ourselves and it will all need letters saying how long it has been cured for and what oils have been used on it. We've also been warned that we are 90% sure to have to pay to have it fumigated at the other end.

I would be surprised if a shipping agent would agree to move equipment in your own timber crates. We've got a few bits that will need wooden crates and the shippers have said they'd build to spec to ensure everything fitted to maximum efficiency within the container.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the thoughts, and I can see why they are so strict.Treated by drying will be sterile when it comes out the kiln and then open to reinfections? Building boxes and putting my tools in was (is) part of the dream along with maybe one day getting time to use them. Which is long way away in the UK at this time. I will try and get into the local shipping box makers and see what they tell me.I would of cause build them to internal container specs or pallet sized.Anybody got any info on desiccants permitted for use or what coatings are permitted on tools to keep them rust free during transport.Is it just a case of (no pun intended) of leaving it to the shipping company and letting them take the rap if anything geos wrong?.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

UktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant future

Sorry to jump in!

I stupidly wasn't aware of this or maybe because I haven't got as far as to think of it yet but I assumed that furniture etc would be OK. Does this mean that any furniture containing wood etc would have to have paperwork or simply be sent to be fumigated when it's arrived at the other side.

Is it really worth sending beds and units etc then?
Old Oct 27th 2015, 11:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UktoNZ2016
Sorry to jump in!

I stupidly wasn't aware of this or maybe because I haven't got as far as to think of it yet but I assumed that furniture etc would be OK. Does this mean that any furniture containing wood etc would have to have paperwork or simply be sent to be fumigated when it's arrived at the other side.

Is it really worth sending beds and units etc then?
Don't worry all treated wood is fine. Brought lots of wooden furniture with us and it didn't raise an eyebrow. Also brought wicker baskets without any problems. Have shelving in our garage from Ikea, they didn't bother with that either. Relax
Old Oct 27th 2015, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

UktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant futureUktoNZ2016 has a brilliant future

So basically most of furniture is ok unless they raise concern except garden sheds!!! Lol

Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2015, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, sorry to cause anxiety. The stuff we're bringing is still quite raw in terms of processing and isn't commercial furniture, hence the bringing letters with us.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

No problems at all. I like to be aware and informed rather than be left red faced and treated like a 5 year old by someone of "authority " at customs lol
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

I had a search around on boron using it as an insecticide, use in NZ so could be sprinkled over furniture or in boxes though sure it would stain. Whoops.Seen the Ikea flat pack furniture suggestion before, this is chip board covered in a laminate so can't see any problem with my 12-18mm chip board boxes?
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

I had an idea of using an ibc tank as a storage box for larger items of my construction tools. Cut the top off. Fill it up and replace the lid and wrap it with pallet wrapping (cling film!) will keep all my tools secure and can be stacked. As this lowers the cost of shipping it appears ( I'm only sending this initially to see how we settle.

Ibc tank is a plastic tank in 600ltr or 1000ltr size. It's plastic inside a alloy frame and all bolted down to a plastic or alloy pallet. They are used for various liquids including food stuffs. Cost about £40 to £60. Would be super secure and use it as a log store when your done!
Old Oct 28th 2015, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Like your thinking, good idea, would have to be certified pallet though.Guess you could use these for nearly all your small goods. I have a Myford lathe (ML4) took me years to find and to have enough spare money to get one. Its things like this I want to box. I build lots of things, one being split/built cane fishing rods. The self made steel planning forms are very precious to me and are 6' long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.