Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wood burners and baked beans.

Wood burners and baked beans.

Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wood burners and baked beans.

Hello, after almost 2 years we have a woodburner. And very nice it is too. A logaire 14kw radiant. Cannot believe i went soooooooooooooooo long without one. The ambiance, the smell, the glow, the crack of the wood....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its luvly-jubbly!!!

I urge those who do not have one to get one!!! All in inclusive of everything it came in at about $2800. Marvelous. Best money I have spent in a long time and a positive bargain when you consider I may have to pay $2000 for a couple of capped molars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The burner is much more fun than the latter and was TOTALLY painless to fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On to baked beans. Bit of a fan I am of the aforementioned I am. Finally got me used to Watties overly flavoured beans and I was quite happy, took a while but finally was happy with my lot in 'bean world'.

Always walked past Oak brand as they looked cheap, insipid and a very inferior bean...well the label gave that impression anyways. Then Biddy introduced me to a can.......BLOODY CAN-TASTIC (play on words that)!!!!!! So much like Heinz beans of old. I urge you who like a bean to give 'em a spin.

I would be grateful for feedback on the beans please..spoken feedback not gaseous

Over and out, for now.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:33 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wood burners and baked beans.

You have me reminiscing now... I used to have a wood-burning stove when I lived in a converted grain barn in rural SW France. Heaven it was, cooking on that! I'd chop veggies for "une bonne souplette" and just pop it all on the top of the WBS during a cold winter's day (it snowed up on the plateau I lived on) and scoff it all down in the evening.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Yep - definately agree on the beans front. I discovered Oak a couple of years ago and now my life is complete again. Watties are absolutely ' orrible.

Congratulations on yr woodburner. They do add a nice atmosphere to the room don't they.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Question Re: Wood burners and baked beans.

Westie-can we just divert from Baked Beans? Noticed Bristol/Waitaks/ChCh

We are thinking of moving into the South Island--did you or are you finding the temperature difference a real "no-no"?

Anybody else who have done a similar move care to chuck their opinions in?

Wifey has been up in the Auckland/Northland region 33yrs-me only 26 yrs--we are both from the "Old Country" and can remember what cold is like,and are a bit concerned if we could handle it again!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
Westie-can we just divert from Baked Beans?
Yes we CAN divert. OAK-ay
We have BEAN to South Island, we were thinking of living there, but decided that it was a half-BAKED idea. Besides the TOMATO-SAUCE is far better here. WATTIE idea that was !!

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Jun 11th 2007 at 8:42 am.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
We have BEAN to South Island, we were thinking of living there, but decided that it was a half-BAKED idea. Besides the TOMATO-SAUCE is far better here. WATTIE idea that was !!

Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:51 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Karma sent for that one!!!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:53 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

After you turn in for the night I reckon you'll still be warm 'cos after eating all those beans you'll be floating the sheets.

Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Tee Hee !!

Yep, we found the temperature difference quite noticable and some times I ask myself what we've done !
It's quite nice to rug up and go out and feel all wintery at times ( but I keep humming Xmas carols - my poor confused brain ! ) but on the whole I prefer the North island for various reasons.
We all like different things though, and that's just how I'm feeling.
Oak that's Bean helpful
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by westiepom
Tee Hee !!

Yep, we found the temperature difference quite noticable and some times I ask myself what we've done !
It's quite nice to rug up and go out and feel all wintery at times ( but I keep humming Xmas carols - my poor confused brain ! ) but on the whole I prefer the North island for various reasons.
We all like different things though, and that's just how I'm feeling.
Oak that's Bean helpful
Thanks mate--the replies were a bit "Windswept" and "B'Anal" --we were all set to make the jump last year until the pics of snowy Geraldine on the front page of the Herald (and just for the Baked Bean/Oak jesters-Geraldine is a place-not a page 3 girl)

Not exactly hot up here-but not as chilly as you,keep warm!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:41 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Karma sent for that one!!!

Off thread.... Like you're new avatar hun!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:35 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
On to baked beans. Bit of a fan I am of the aforementioned I am. Finally got me used to Watties overly flavoured beans and I was quite happy, took a while but finally was happy with my lot in 'bean world'.

Always walked past Oak brand as they looked cheap, insipid and a very inferior bean...well the label gave that impression anyways. Then Biddy introduced me to a can.......BLOODY CAN-TASTIC (play on words that)!!!!!! So much like Heinz beans of old. I urge you who like a bean to give 'em a spin.

I would be grateful for feedback on the beans please..spoken feedback not gaseous

Over and out, for now.
OMG!! You CAN still get OAK? They were the absolute favourite in our home when I was growing up. Always been MILES BETTER than Watties! I never seen them down sth island so maybe they only sold in nth island?

In OZ I eat Watties, Heinz, or Heinz 'old english recipe' beans. Your regular aussie BB are absolute flavourless watery sauce type crap. OAK not available over here :'(

Can you still get PEACH sausages? They were the best in the packaged ones. Huttons and Kiwi were always crap by comparison!

Tinned corned beef: can yous till get 'Hellaby's"? and is it still free from ofal? All corned beef in OZ now has bloody beef hearts in it and it gives it a nasty chewy texture. I only buy Fray Bentos tinned corned beef here now.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 12th 2007 at 3:37 am.