British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wood Burners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wood-burners-524213/)

swstephenwood Mar 27th 2008 8:51 am

Re: Wood Burners

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6117460)
or for you/your home *if* you get a flue/chimney fire which can happen with gummed up flues.

Not sure what the recommendations are about sweeping here but in UK it was suggested as an annual event for solid fuel fires/stoves by the Sweeps Association (NACS or something like that) - but then they would say that.........

THinking out loud - frequency would depend upon how well your burner was working, where the flue runs/its orientation and how much unseasoned/gummy stuff you burned.

I'd be interested in finding out more about chimney/flue sweeping.

Anyone with any info?
TIA :thumbup:

does any one know if it is cheaper to buy a wood burner in uk or in aus we are moving to victoria :blink:

jueinnz Mar 28th 2008 7:17 am

Originally Posted by swstephenwood (Post 6117597)
does any one know if it is cheaper to buy a wood burner in uk or in aus we are moving to victoria :blink:

Generaly they are "built in" to the houses, you can up date them and stuff, but not something you would take with you when you move....

Dave-G Mar 28th 2008 12:46 pm

Just because its a wood burner fella doesn't mean you can only burn wood,

You can burn anything!!!:curse: Wood, coal, kids, rubbish by the time it knackers the enviro we will be long gone. LOL Just burn anything to keep warm. I'm sure Dannyf would give out lots of heat on a burn up:D

bourbon-biscuit Mar 28th 2008 8:23 pm

We use pine ones and soft wood for getting the fire going and once it's been burning for an hour or so and is very hot we put in big hard wood logs, which burn slower and hotter but only if you've got the fire up to temp with fast burning soft wood.

Archangel Mar 28th 2008 10:26 pm

I must get round to ordering some more this week:thumbup:

hazeandsteve Mar 30th 2008 3:06 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6117460)
...I'd be interested in finding out more about chimney/flue sweeping.

Anyone with any info?
TIA :thumbup:

We had ours swept when we moved in last year, cost about $40.
This year, the neighbour is lending us his brush. It's just... on the roof, pop the cap off, brisk sweep into "door closed" burner, then clean up.

As for the wood. We light pine fitch with a firelighter, then burn the native woods.
A mixed load is fine, but were told we need to avoid one of the natives as it burns too hot for our older burner, but have forgotten which one. However, the newer burners apparently struggle to burn through the night, so we'll just keep going.

lardyl Mar 30th 2008 7:22 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 6130384)
We had ours swept when we moved in last year, cost about $40.
This year, the neighbour is lending us his brush. It's just... on the roof, pop the cap off, brisk sweep into "door closed" burner, then clean up.

cheers m8ty :thumbup:

Nerine Mar 30th 2008 8:46 am

I used to love burning manuka, hell but it was hot. The air quality will improve this winter now that we're not there anymore:D