wood or brick

Old Dec 14th 2005, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Robbo's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wood or brick

Hi
A little advice please. We are moving out to NZ in 7 weeks and are hoping to have a house built. There seems to be a number of well known and highly recommended builders/designers.
We are moving to the North Island (Hamilton area)
The big question is do we go for a wooden or brick house. We have read mixed opinions on this but would appreciate any advice.
Cheers guys.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 5:48 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wood or brick

I think if it's a new build it wouldn't make any difference both would be lovely, the wooden houses can look really nice.
I like brick houses but that's personal choice only.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 6:17 pm
livewire

Well almost all houses are built of wood then clad with a plaster, brick, linea board, etc skin.

I'd go for brick clad every time - very much a matter of personal taste though.

Old Dec 14th 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply guys and gals. We were going to go for a brick build but like you said Sky we have seen some lovely looking wooden houses. Do either of you know if there is much difference in cost between the two when having one built ?
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:25 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Robbo's
Thanks for the reply guys and gals. We were going to go for a brick build but like you said Sky we have seen some lovely looking wooden houses. Do either of you know if there is much difference in cost between the two when having one built ?
As livewire says - and this is only hearsay on my part so please dont take it as gospel - but from what ive been told all houses are made of wood and its just a matter of cosmetics as to what goes on the outside. I believe it is to minimise the impact of earthquakes :scared:

Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:28 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in both in NZ and prefer a Lockwood style. Toasting warm and loads of character.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottish
I have lived in both in NZ and prefer a Lockwood style. Toasting warm and loads of character.
Yeah we have been looking at the lockwood houses. They look really nice but we were concerned that they may get really cold yet you say the opposite. Surely a brick house would be warmer. Am i wrong ?
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:11 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of the houses built are timber framed and then the skin is added, it's totally cosmetic and doesn't hold the house up at all, the bricks are thinner and more tye wires are used because of the earthquake risk.
I think some of the lineur (sp) clad houses may be slightly cheaper, my hubby was a bricklayer when he first came over but now is out of the trade.
The kiwis I think can do style very well and some of the new builds are lovely using materials I'm not used to seeing but if I was having my own house built it would be brick skinned.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:15 pm
sky
Banned

Lockwood seem to have a good reputation and are said to be very warm, Scottish knows how cold some of the houses can be over here so I'd trust her when she says they are warm.
They're just another brand of kit house and there are lots of choices of kit homes over here.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sky
Lockwood seem to have a good reputation and are said to be very warm, Scottish knows how cold some of the houses can be over here so I'd trust her when she says they are warm.
They're just another brand of kit house and there are lots of choices of kit homes over here.
Brilliant thanks Sky. Appreciate the advice.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 12:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The brick veneer will be no warmer in Winter or cooler in Summer than wood or other materials. It's the quality of insulation used between the wood frame & the outside veneer that could make some difference.
Bricks used for the outside skin here, are not as you are used to for cavity wall buildings in the UK.
Mostly the insulation used is Pink Bats. If you want a better quality insulation, build a Wool insulation into your budget.

In my neck of the woods you should budget for between $900 per sq metre and $1000 per square metre of floor space for the basics.

It is normal to have integral garages. This part of the building is not insulated.

I am told by a friend who is just having a house built with a brick veneer finish that it is the more expensive choice.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

One consideration is that brick is maintenance free while most other claddings will need painting every 5-10 years