British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   wof expires when overseas?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wof-expires-when-overseas-673290/)

Lily77cat Jun 21st 2010 8:03 am

wof expires when overseas??

hiya
does anyone know whether you can post date a wof?
in england you can get an mot upto a month before it expiires and have it dated when the mot expires so therefore technically you can get a 13month mot.
i will be overseas when the wof on my car expires but i dont want to get it done early because i will lose 4 weeks of it!!
so it will be 3 weeks out of date when i get back.
do you get fined if it isnt wof'd ? eg does a letter come through??
would it be ok to get it done when i get back?
or can you get it done early and not lose the time??
cheers
lily

irnbru14 Jun 21st 2010 8:26 am

Re: wof expires when overseas??

Originally Posted by lily77cat (Post 8645920)
hiya
in england you can get an mot upto a month before it expiires and have it dated when the mot expires so therefore technically you can get a 13month mot.
i will be overseas when the wof on my car expires but i dont want to get it done early because i will lose 4 weeks of it!!
cheers
lily

I think, need to check, that as long as you are not driving the car then the WOF running out is ok, you are only allowed to drive that car to the place you are getting it WOF'd though, so as long as you don't drive it until it goes for a WOF you should be ok! Check that though! :thumbup:

Robbie2010 Jun 21st 2010 8:27 am

Yes you can post date ... but I think its only 14 days.

sirplug Jun 21st 2010 8:58 am

Originally Posted by lily77cat (Post 8645920)
hiya
cheers
lily

No, you can't post date. If you take your car for a WOF 14 days early and it fails, your car will then no longer hold a valid WOF, even if it doesn't expire for 14 days. Your WOF is only valid from 6 months from when it is issued.

If you're overseas and the car is parked on your drive, then an expired WOF isn't a problem. When you return, book it into a local station and drive it there. If stopped, you have a valid booking and will be legal. You could get it done early but it is only valid for 6 months, not 6 months plus however many days you have left.......Hope this helps..

sirplug Jun 21st 2010 9:01 am

I am a WOF tester but don't do them locally, I can recommend you to a local testing station, Hibiscus Coast Tyres and WOF Centre, give them a call on 09-424 8705. They're at 15 Arklow La, Whangaparaoa, Hibiscus Coast. Ask for Merrick or Andre and tell them Paul from Autoserv Mobile sent you and they'll look after you.

Sorry Bevs, if this bit of advertising breaks any rules!:confused:

Lily77cat Jun 21st 2010 9:13 am

thanks for all the info- put my mind at rest i can leave the car until i get home ;-)

Robbie2010 Jun 21st 2010 10:25 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8646011)
No, you can't post date. If you take your car for a WOF 14 days early and it fails, your car will then no longer hold a valid WOF, even if it doesn't expire for 14 days. Your WOF is only valid from 6 months from when it is issued.

If you take your car in 14days early and it passes, your WOF will be valid for 6months and 14days!