British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wish we could just get on with it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wish-we-could-just-get-689517/)

Mrs Pointer Oct 14th 2010 9:08 am

Wish we could just get on with it

I got all the dogs' paraphanelia through from Golden Arrow today. Poor boys, they remain in blissful ignorance of being in a box for 36 hours, but still means it's all getting closer.

The house sale still hasn't finalised - some legal issue over a shared drive. Lawyers hope to sort it out this week :fingerscrossed:

Everything is booked, wedding sorted, resignation letter in, my car sold - so we're in this phoney war, where life has gone back to normal (only better than it was before) and we're waiting until we can start packing (even just into temporary accommodation).

Some days I forget we're going, some days I'm sad about leaving my family and friends, but most days I can't wait. No doubts that I don't want to stay here.

simonsi Oct 14th 2010 9:26 am

Re: Wish we could just get on with it

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 8917420)
...so we're in this phoney war...

Yep thats exactly how we felt, unable to move forward or back except at the speed of the arrangements that have/must be made, hurry up and wait over and over again!

So much better when you arrive and can start all the new, interesting stuff that makes you feel better :)

:fingerscrossed: for the house finalising, in the end we had to come out without the house sale finalised and had a horrendous two weeks here with early hours phone calls to get it sorted :eek:

Nelly Trolley Oct 14th 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 8917420)
I got all the dogs' paraphanelia through from Golden Arrow today. Poor boys, they remain in blissful ignorance of being in a box for 36 hours, but still means it's all getting closer.

The house sale still hasn't finalised - some legal issue over a shared drive. Lawyers hope to sort it out this week :fingerscrossed:

Everything is booked, wedding sorted, resignation letter in, my car sold - so we're in this phoney war, where life has gone back to normal (only better than it was before) and we're waiting until we can start packing (even just into temporary accommodation).

Some days I forget we're going, some days I'm sad about leaving my family and friends, but most days I can't wait. No doubts that I don't want to stay here.

Some things to consider about Golden Arrow pet shippers who I have no doubt are excellent at what they do.

Due to all recommendations we were going to use these guys but have now decided not to for the following reasons:

They are not particularly conveniently located in the country side on the Welsh border

They are miles from Heathrow or Manchester airports

They insist the dog is with them for 4 days before travel - none of the other shippers we spoke to do this

You can't take the dog with you to the airport and hand them over as you can with others who will meet you at the animal reception at Heathrow or Manchester

They only use Air NZ so flight times are limited and may not coincide with your own flights

They charge a £1 a mile to come and collect your dog from your home £271 from Yorkshire!

Mrs Pointer Oct 14th 2010 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley (Post 8917490)
Some things to consider about Golden Arrow pet shippers who I have no doubt are excellent at what they do.

Due to all recommendations we were going to use these guys but have now decided not to for the following reasons:

They are not particularly conveniently located in the country side on the Welsh border

They are miles from Heathrow or Manchester airports

They insist the dog is with them for 4 days before travel - none of the other shippers we spoke to do this

You can't take the dog with you to the airport and hand them over as you can with others who will meet you at the animal reception at Heathrow or Manchester

They only use Air NZ so flight times are limited and may not coincide with your own flights

They charge a £1 a mile to come and collect your dog from your home £271 from Yorkshire!

It's not so bad for us because the OH knows the area as his work has an office nearby so we're taking them to GA. We're also not bringing them over at the same time. They are coming 2 weeks after we arrive in NZ.

They are big dogs with LOTS of energy so the plan is to get a serviced appartment or similar for a fortnight and look for a rental house with a big garden and be in and ready for them to arrive. (assuming I can find a place that will accept 2 big bouncy dogs - big deposit and a lot of schmoozing :fingerscrossed:).

I won't settle until they arrive, but it will be better for them, if we're sorted and calm which will help them calm down quicker. They are used to kennels and GA's look great and they'll look after them.