Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

wish i hadnt come on here!!!

wish i hadnt come on here!!!

Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default wish i hadnt come on here!!!

Blimey!! reading through some of the threads on here has made me feel quite nervy about my families application for residency!! We visited NZ end of 2007 and are almost at the end of the application process but there are some very negative comments on here!!! Quick, someone inject a bit of positiveness and fun! Theres shite happen all over the world, I'm not imagining NZ to be perfect place to live but the UK is far from that too!

Anyone got any recommendations for the best places in Canterbury to live with young children???
thnx
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wish i hadnt come on here!!!

Originally Posted by strawbie
Blimey!! reading through some of the threads on here has made me feel quite nervy about my families application for residency!! We visited NZ end of 2007 and are almost at the end of the application process but there are some very negative comments on here!!! Quick, someone inject a bit of positiveness and fun! Theres shite happen all over the world, I'm not imagining NZ to be perfect place to live but the UK is far from that too!

Anyone got any recommendations for the best places in Canterbury to live with young children???
thnx
You will do just fine!
Avoid the dross on the forum.
Having said that there are some sound posts pointing out some of the down sides of NZ. But like you say "Theres shite happen all over the world, "
We're hoping to be out there in Oct. House selling?????????
I can't point you to particular posters- Genesis is sound!-
but there are a lot of sensible posters telling both sides pros and cons.
We've been out there for three to four months each of the last 6 years.
Yep there are things that irk and there maybe a few things you may miss but after weighing up the pros and cons, I would have walked through fire to get here.
Keep reading the threads- check out the sheep dip.

Jennie
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:23 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

thnx
Hey,

Like Jennifer said, dont listen to alot of the rubbish.

I too felt like that at first, when it was all doom and gloom... Mainly the "dont come to NZ " comments and alot of the stuff about gangs/crime etc.

But i guess you have to weigh it all up. There is crime everywhere, rotten things happen all over the world, but for many, they can deal with that in NZ as they can live a better life in general.

By all means, take the comments for what they are and do your own investigations.

I am sure you and your family will be fine

Caz xxx

Some NZ banter to cheer u up.

Hubby sent an e-mail re a job in welly today, in the response at the end the guy said:

"i am away to put on my grass skirt, dance about the beaches and pick myself up some coconuts"

Hubby thought this was hilarious.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:34 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy

Some NZ banter to cheer u up.

Hubby sent an e-mail re a job in welly today, in the response at the end the guy said:

"i am away to put on my grass skirt, dance about the beaches and pick myself up some coconuts"

Hubby thought this was hilarious.
Nice! Some people would probably say that was unprofessional. I think it's hilarious and says a lot about things actually - in a great way.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: wish i hadnt come on here!!!

My daughter son in law & grandson took the plunge nearly 3 years ago now and have not regretted it. Gail says its not better than the UK its different but its the difference that makes it better.

Life is what you make it so make it better.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

thnx
I came here with the view that NZ was VERY benign..I was very niave and have realised its full of problems like all places. The big difference is that we DO have a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better life here (all adults and 3 kids) than we did in the UK. Just by virue of the fact that my back garden's a mini forest and I have a back garden with mountain views is enough..but there's heap loads more..empty beaches, empty roads, lovely people, the beach is only 40 mins and not 4 hours....and world class skiing only 2.5 hours away. We really love NZ and would never consider returning to the UK..ever.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

For every negative person on here there will be 1000 others who are completely happy. Happy people tend to just get on with life and not really talk about it.

It's like when you go to a restaurant, most people leave satisfied and never say a thing. But have a bad meal and you'll be sure to tell everyone.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Leigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really nice

thnx
Make your own judgements, one man's meat is another's poison. A positive attitude goes a long way, but I have often found this in short supply on this forum at times
Seriously, only you know what you want, and have made important steps to change your life accordingly. Good on you for doing that, just don't let the negative attitudes drag you down in the process. Constructive comments about living in New Zealand are one thing, negative comments are another.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It's always hard to know how to respond to questions from overseas. Most of us want to be truthful, rather than giving a glossy picture, but in telling the truth about one situation, e.g. gangs, it can sully the whole picture.

If someone asks "Can I survive on this wage?" we may think Yes you probably can survive, but do you want to come to NZ and just survive, or will that spoil the whole experience for you? These are the sort of questions you need to ask, even though you'd like to think positive.

If you want to come over, give it a go. Ultimately, your happiness will depend on your reasons for moving, your expectations and your desire to make it work. As someone who moved as a child with parents from UK to Oz to NZ, I can tell you that downunder people (adult or child) tend not to like a string of negative comparisons with UK, so save the gripes for your UK friends. They, however, may feel no need to hold back on the derogoratory remarks about the UK, even if they have never been there. A simple question, "Oh, have you been to the UK?" usually suffices to shut them up. Join local clubs and school stuff and get involved and you will be accepted more quickly.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

A nice place to live in Canterbury is Rangiora. That is where I am. It is a small town with easy to commute to Chch city. There are lots of other outlying areas too like Amberley, Ashley, Darfield etc. Depends where you are going to be working I suppose and what your requirements are. Not everyone will say Rangi is nice. Some moan about the commute to chch but it is way easier than the traffic back in the uk. I work local too, could even walk to work (which I should do I know!!). We have a nice variety of shops and a couple of supermarkets and it has a nice homely feel to it.

You will gets lots of comments from both sides about living in NZ, even I feel elated one day and want to get the hell out another day but that is me and the way I feel. I tend not to come on her too much these days. Besides I have a job now after a couple of years trying to get part time work and that takes up 3 days of my week and so the other time is spent doing the mundane things and trying to have some fun and see some of this lovely country. Yes every country has it's drawbacks. For now we are here and the other half loves it. I like it but still have one foot in the UK I think It is only because we came here for family and now one of them has buggered off back there lol!!! Anyway, whatever your reason for wanting to come here good luck in what you decide. Take from the posters what you need and leave the negative stuff behind. That usually works.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Gail says its not better than the UK its different but its the difference that makes it better.

Life is what you make it so make it better.
What a great way of describing it! Good straight talking from Gail
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, thanks for all your replies!! Its such an up and down emotional time, so it doesn't help hearing negatives!! I had my phone interview today, which went ok, but an hour later she'd emailed me to say she was unsure of my intentions to work full time in Nz. I'm the main applicant on skilled migrant-nurse/health visitor. Not with a job offer, so didnt realise I would be expected to work full time!!?? its not a major prob, but obviously i didnt give the right answer Hopefully my email will rectify!!?? Has anyone any knowledge on this one? I thought if you had a job offer there were stipulations as to what you worked etc?

nicola
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi, thanks for all your replies!! Its such an up and down emotional time, so it doesn't help hearing negatives!! I had my phone interview today, which went ok, but an hour later she'd emailed me to say she was unsure of my intentions to work full time in Nz. I'm the main applicant on skilled migrant-nurse/health visitor. Not with a job offer, so didnt realise I would be expected to work full time!!?? its not a major prob, but obviously i didnt give the right answer Hopefully my email will rectify!!?? Has anyone any knowledge on this one? I thought if you had a job offer there were stipulations as to what you worked etc?

nicola
i assume you mean phone interview regarding your PR visa?

probalby goes along with your intentions and ability to settle in nz permanently. you have to convince them you intend to settle in nz permanently if you want them to give you a PR visa. and i guess the idea behind granting somebody PR who is qualified in a shortage occupation is to alleviate the shortage, contribute as a immigrant to nz etc etc. if you were in the shoes of the immigration dept you could see the argument that there are lots of people who would jump at the chance of moving to nz and working so giving PR to somebody who may not want to work raises a question in their mind.

As a potential immigrant it pays to take the "yes sir no sir" approach to those who decide whether to put a little blue sticker in your passport or not, rather than argue with them on whether you really or technically need to work etc.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:12 am
Banned

TurnersNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing wrong with New Zealand

Ok maybe a few things

BUT will not and dont ever want to go back to the UK! Got more here than would ever have back in the UK.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here! Have been here 10 years. Wouldn't live in CHCH though. But canterbury would be OK ...I'm too brown for down there LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.