Winter Solstice

Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Solstice

Well, to counter some of the recent weather posts, here's a rose-tinted one.
Today was the shortest day in NZ, it was only just light when I left for work at 0715, but light enough for the kids at Rangitoto College and Westlake High to be outside playing hockey by 0730 when I drove past. It got down to a chilly +12.5C outside last night (incidentally, the same as forecast for Manchester tonight), and my NZ shed had plummeted to +15.5C between turning off the heating last night and getting up this morning. Luckily the heat pumps only took about 10 minutes to get it up to 20C. Today started sunny but now it's windy and wet. Still light when I got home at 1715, which was nice.

Looking forward to some longer days as we move into spring
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Solstice

Nice one lapsed - not a bad place old NZ eh?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that I've just seen the news about the snow down south and seen our forecast for the weekend so may be eating my words soon.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact that it doesnt get dark early here in mid winter... and on a sunny day in winter theres still some warmth to the sun. I still havnt dug a coat out yet this winter.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:59 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Coats are certainly out here in Christchurch. Brrrr....

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happynz
Coats are certainly out here in Christchurch. Brrrr....

The winter festival in Queenstown was snowed off tonight, the whole town almost shut down because of the weather. All the roads and airports out of action !
We are off to the Winter solstice festival in Napier, loads of fire and pyrotechnics
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
The winter festival in Queenstown was snowed off tonight, the whole town almost shut down because of the weather. All the roads and airports out of action !
We are off to the Winter solstice festival in Napier, loads of fire and pyrotechnics
It is always funny to hear the Auckland news media trying to pump up the news and the stress and the anxiety... then to hear the more laid back people of the lower South Island say something like "No worries, mate. It is winter, we expect it and we just get on with it".

Enjoy the fireworks, hope it is not too windy for them.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SarahB
I love the fact that it doesnt get dark early here in mid winter... and on a sunny day in winter theres still some warmth to the sun. I still havnt dug a coat out yet this winter.
Do they alter the clocks in NZ. What the latest and earliest it gets dark over there, Its doesnt seen right if it gets dark too early in summer.

Cheers Jads
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:36 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jads
Do they alter the clocks in NZ. What the latest and earliest it gets dark over there, Its doesnt seen right if it gets dark too early in summer.

Cheers Jads
Similar to the UK, in that clocks go back an hour in Autumn (or forward an hour in Summer - I don't know which way around the whole thing works ) for daylight savings.

Here in ChCh on the shortest day, is was getting light at 8am, dark at 5.30pm. Still bright sunshine though, and despite frosty starts the sun really does still have some warmth. Even dried 3 lots of washing on the line yesterday! Can't be bad
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's the shortest day done and dusted already & now we can start looking forward ot the days drawing out. We're a month into Winter & I have just spent a very pleasant hour sitting out on my deck , toasting in the Winter sun , watching my ducks destroy my lawn. no need for coats or jackets today. Just t-shirts and a fleece will do .
The sky isn't all blue, but I find that boring anyway. The sky is a lovely mix of blue sky and gently rolling clouds .
If I look out of my window I can see that the ranges have received a good dumping of snow.
We can hear people out on the domain from where we live. Folks are playing tennis , and there was the girlies footie match earlier.
Next doors kids have been using the motor mower out in their paddock to tow their friends around on an old bit of carpet attached to the back. No shoes, no coats, no need.
I spect we'll have a bit of a walk on the beach a bit later once we finish the compost bin. Thats been fashioned from a couple of old apple crates we picked up for free from the orchard just outside of the village.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:40 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
That's the shortest day done and dusted already & now we can start looking forward ot the days drawing out. We're a month into Winter & I have just spent a very pleasant hour sitting out on my deck , toasting in the Winter sun , watching my ducks destroy my lawn. no need for coats or jackets today. Just t-shirts and a fleece will do.
Sounds to me like you really want to back in the UK... erm... NOT
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS here
That's the shortest day done and dusted already & now we can start looking forward ot the days drawing out. We're a month into Winter & I have just spent a very pleasant hour sitting out on my deck , toasting in the Winter sun , watching my ducks destroy my lawn. no need for coats or jackets today. Just t-shirts and a fleece will do .
The sky isn't all blue, but I find that boring anyway. The sky is a lovely mix of blue sky and gently rolling clouds .
If I look out of my window I can see that the ranges have received a good dumping of snow.
We can hear people out on the domain from where we live. Folks are playing tennis , and there was the girlies footie match earlier.
Next doors kids have been using the motor mower out in their paddock to tow their friends around on an old bit of carpet attached to the back. No shoes, no coats, no need.
I spect we'll have a bit of a walk on the beach a bit later once we finish the compost bin. Thats been fashioned from a couple of old apple crates we picked up for free from the orchard just outside of the village.

Sounds like heaven on earth BEVS. You mentioned earlier posting some pics, I hope you do!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:00 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

The weather here in Hamilton over the last week reminds me a bit of a rural scottish autumn. The trees have been whipping about in the wind, the leaves are mostly off now but there are breaks for the sun. Temperature of 17.3 degrees on the deck at the moment and this is basically Christmas day if the seasons are meant to be reversed! Not too shabby!
Since we started using the DVS effectively (since I read the instructions properly ) we haven't had any more crying windows and it hasn't been on that much either. So, the shortest day is passed, roll on summer!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:22 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Yesterday, 24 June -- 16 C...gorgeous!
Today, 25 June -- 5 C, brrr...howling southerly.

Has it been mentioned that New Zealand has changeable weather?

Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happynz

Has it been mentioned that New Zealand has changeable weather?

Tell me about it! I've just been for a wonder about in my lunch break, lovely and warm, loads of people sitting outside cafes having lunch etc, thankfully back in my office now because its horizontal rain out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.