Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Winter is Coming . . .

Winter is Coming . . .

Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice
Default Winter is Coming . . .

Well, looks like we've chosen an awesome time to drive from Tauranga to Christchurch when we set off tomorrow. Bring on the ferry come Thursday!!!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:31 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter is Coming . . .

This has nothing to do with Game of Thrones does it?
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Nope, more a statement of impending seasonal weather which i will embrace with all joy a gruff bloke from sheffield can muster
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:15 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Conor79
Nope, more a statement of impending seasonal weather which i will embrace with all joy a gruff bloke from sheffield can muster
Brrrrr Minus 15 celcius predicted for nz for this week and hurricane force winds-
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10891365
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:52 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Brrrrr Minus 15 celcius predicted for nz for this week and hurricane force winds-
You didn't post the most helpful part of that article:
The warning has prompted Canterbury Civil Defence to urge residents to check their emergency supplies are fully stocked.

"Everyone should have the necessities in place to be able to be self-sufficient for three days or more in the event of road closures and power cuts," Regional Civil Defence group controller Neville Reilly said.

"This includes having stocks of food, water, warm clothing, fuel, alternative lighting and other emergency supplies on hand.
The New Zealand Fire Service was also offering safety advise before the storm hit, including to keep everything at least one metre away from a heater or fireplace; avoid overloading power sockets or multi-boxes; and if using candles during a power cut, make sure they were in a stable, non-combustible candle holder and away from anything flammable.
Specific Emergency Preparedness Items:

* torch with spare batteries or a self-charging torch;

* radio with spare batteries;

* first aid kit and essential medicines;

* blankets or sleeping bags;

* pet supplies;

* wind and waterproof clothing and strong outdoor shoes;

* food and water for at least three days;

* non-perishable food (canned or dried food);

* food, formula and drinks for babies and small children;

* water for drinking. At least 3 litres per person, per day;

* a camp-cooker or gas barbeque to cook on;

* a spare, full gas cylinder;

* a can opener; and

* water for washing and cooking.

If you are driving and can't avoid it, make sure you are well stocked in case you find yourself stranded.

Be safe!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:56 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who lived in Nether Edge for 13 years before leaving the UK, I expect you to be at the bow of the ship, eating chips and curry sauce dressed in your t-shirt, whilst being lashed by the storm driven waves of the southern ocean, berating your fellow passengers for being nesh shandy sipping Auckland Jafa's.

Oh and never spilling your beer.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
The entire landmass of New Zealand ? I really must pay better attention after all these years.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This has nothing to do with Game of Thrones does it?
Yes. When it comes to fantasy, it would seem so.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:06 am
`

Or , of course, if completely buggered ,as per ShockedKiwi's suggestion of weather conditions beyond all conditions, the likes of which was to be had in parts of the UK last January 2013 and so laid waste & froze the marrow of the bones, you could always SOS myself or Catchafire.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:29 am
`

Bring your own duvet.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

haha, super stuff guys!!!

Thanks for the offer Bevs. My wife has just informed me that if we get stranded in Wellington, her hospital will cover the costs of us staying there as part of relocation. Win! I think windy welly is going to live up to it's name methinks . . .