Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Windy Wellington??

Windy Wellington??

Old Jul 27th 2015, 1:35 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windy Wellington??

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's all relative. It's just one example and if somebody has a great job and great working hours in the UK, they can easily fly to Spain for the weekend if they want more sun
OR, I could just step outside my front door and enjoy some lovely sunshine without having to leave the country.

Snap Shot - I think weather discussions are some kind of in-built setting that all Brits are born with! I can't seem to disable mine
Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:21 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch

Snap Shot - I think weather discussions are some kind of in-built setting that all Brits are born with! I can't seem to disable mine
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

OR, I could just step outside my front door and enjoy some lovely sunshine without having to leave the country.

Yes you can do that anywhere and if you don't work you obviously have more time to step out. Weather discussions will always happen (Love it), but there is a danger if people move to New Zealand just for better weather. Overall Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch don't see much more sun than Devon/Cornwall and it can feel just as cold. The locations vary when it comes to rainfall and a lot of people end up in wet and damp Auckland. Like anywhere you get microclimates and if you're unlucky, you might end up in a property that sees a lot less sun compared to your home in the UK. People who move to New Zealand for 300 more sunshine hours, but have longer working hours, a longer commute and less money might end up just as depressed. If you can improve everything else , then the 300 more sunshine hours can certainly be a benefit. Even people in Dunedin enjoy life if the balance is right.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

where is this discussion going? we can be happy anywhere if we get our balance right? school of the bleedin' obvious? Sorry, no offence intended but if anyone moves anywhere for one factor alone it is going to be a disappointment be it the weather, the food or the people - one thing alone will not compensate. Having said that I hear that you can grow great carrots in Ohakune...
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:56 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

but there is a danger if people move to New Zealand just for better weather.
I genuinely think that people would not emigrate just for better weather, there is usually more to it than that. If they do then it's pure craziness!

Overall Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch don't see much more sun than Devon/Cornwall and it can feel just as cold.
You can't club Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch together as one when discussing weather. They are all totally different. I can't speak for Auckland or Wellington, but I know Christchurch has more sunshine hours per year than south West England. Ireland is pretty low in comparison. Some locations in Scotland even lower! Even Brighton, which has the highest number of sunshine hours in the UK isn't as high as Christchurch and that place is largely unaffordable (looked at living there between travelling and moving here).

Come on JaneRiley, you know you want to nut out a good ol' fashioned argument about the weather
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

I love the weather! Who doesn't love the weather? Even though I am supposed to be doing something else, I'm looking outside at the weather right now and it's cloudy, grey and dull. Oh, where would we be without it? Don't you just love it when you get three weather forecasts after the evening news: the national, the local and the local local? All different and each one as fascinating as the last? Then you can get up in the morning look out of the window (or if you're up for it - go outside!) and see that weather for yourself - in your own skin with your own eyes! It's grand so it is. ;0
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I genuinely think that people would not emigrate just for better weather, there is usually more to it than that. If they do then it's pure craziness!

You can't club Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch together as one when discussing weather. They are all totally different. I can't speak for Auckland or Wellington, but I know Christchurch has more sunshine hours per year than south West England. Ireland is pretty low in comparison. Some locations in Scotland even lower! Even Brighton, which has the highest number of sunshine hours in the UK isn't as high as Christchurch and that place is largely unaffordable (looked at living there between travelling and moving here).

Come on JaneRiley, you know you want to nut out a good ol' fashioned argument about the weather
Sure, but they all get similar amounts of sunshine and I did say that Auckland is wet (actually wetter than Dublin). Compared to Wellington, Hastings in the UK only gets around 200 sunshine hours less per year. Of course these are just stats of where the weather stations are. You'd think that people wouldn't move for weather alone, but I see it happening all the time (especially in the Spain section).
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

140 km/h winds in Wellington today. Can't call it Windy Wellington though
Every time I've visited the capital the weather has been foul.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:07 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It's just weather!

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing." -- Sir Rannulph Fiennes
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
140 km/h winds in Wellington today. Can't call it Windy Wellington though
Every time I've visited the capital the weather has been foul.

Rule 1,796 of living in New Zealand

There is no such thing as foul weather here. All storms, snow. hurricane force winds, rain etc must be marked as glorious weather. The rubbish weather can only be found on a small island that is 26 miles north west of a place called Calais in France - and has a part of the Kingdom joined to a place known as Ireland. Irrespective of whether they've enjoyed a baking heat wave or some glorious sunshine weather. Sunshine weather, heat waves etc in that place are awful and must be deemed as worse weather than the climate of Neptune

Last edited by Tom H; Aug 3rd 2015 at 9:50 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:02 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:03 pm
Happy in Wellington

Haha,

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

no one and I mean no one has an umbrella in Wellington, I was told to not even bother bringing one. oh how foolish I was not to listen,
wind&rain 1 - umbrella 0