Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wind farms near houses?

Wind farms near houses?

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wind farms near houses?

One of the reasons we're looking to move is that we've spent the last five years under siege from wind farm developers. They want to build 160m high turbines just 500m from my back door which would cause huge shadows to race across our pony paddock, garden and house all year round, add the noise equivalent of a busy road to our currently silent environment and knock a quarter to a third off the value of the house with no compensation given.

There's new legislation in some parts of the UK that says the now proven, negative health effects of turbines this close to houses mean developers can't build them that close any more, sadly we're not in that part.

My question is whether there's any protection for home owners in NZ? I do support renewable energy production and didn't object to 80 plus turbines we already have as they are 4-5km from any houses but we're being over run with them now. I know NZ is also undergoing expansion in this area, is it as problematical for house owners?

I'd hate to move everything 12,000 miles and then be under siege in exactly the same way. It's not doing my health any good at all
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wind farms near houses?

Here you go. Link HERE

There is a section on proposed wind farms. These require resource consent , so if you were looking to buy in an area , you would check with the council.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wind farms near houses?

Thanks Bevs. It looks as if they're still using the out of date evidence to try and negate the more recent, hard science evidence and that the planning application and approval process is similar to the UK. It seems there's nothing stopping a developer putting a forest of 160m high turbines right by your back door

I'll factor into the job and property search to restrict to places where wind turbines wouldn't work well.