Wills

Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

ScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant future
Default Wills

I know this sounds a bit morbid but does anyone know if your UK Wills are legal when you are in NZ?

Do you need to write Wills in both countries and where would you be liable for inheritance tax?

We want to update all our affairs before we go and are not sure if we should be spending time and money dealing with this in the UK or in NZ or both.

Has anyone else looked into this?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:29 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wills

Well, the good news is that there is no inheritance tax in NZ.

Will you have property or money remaining in the UK?

Last edited by NakiMan; Aug 5th 2008 at 10:37 am.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

ScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant future

We'll have both, although most of our assests in the UK will be linked to the house.

We want to try to understand the implications for our children when writing the wills and the legalities of having an estate in the UK when living in NZ.

It's an easy thing to not bother about when you have everything else on the go with the move but we think it's also an easy thing to overlook completely and then you only ask the questions when it's too late to make the most appropriate arrangements.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:50 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I have answered a similar question on this site. I will go back and look for it and copy and paste it.

Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:17 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Most of these posts refer to public trust. Actually it is because i am more familiar with them (or at least them a few years ago) that my references refer to them. I am not actually endorsing them over Guardian Trust or any other Trustee & Executor Company.
[I]

My post from November 2007:
Go through Public Trust. They offer a free service providing you make them your Executor. Don't need to stick with them, but they can provide some quite valuable advice.

Disclaimer: I used to work for them many moons ago and the people I worked with would probably throttle me for suggesting i tell people to go there for free advice.

In case anyone was wondering, their Wills are in plain english and they won international awards years ago for having Wills which can actually be understood

And another c+P from same thread

Public Trust in particular is the oldest trustee company in NZ and it was set up, originally because of the high number of migrants who didn’t either the legal skills or someone they knew who they could do it. Not to mention the fact that they, like the other biggie trustees wind things up so quickly that they know what to do any can do it quickly. Also they can get a certificate of administration before probate. Or something like that. I can’t recall anymore. So, even if ya don't want them (or any company) to eventually be Executor and Trustee there is no harm in getting their knowledge. Hehe perhaps i am just a bit sneaky

I am, however, fully in favour of the suggesting that people go to a trustee company or solicitors with a strong estate history in the first instance unless you have been lucky enough to develop either an understanding of the various laws or if you have a strong relationship with a solicitor here.

Overseas fixed to the ground assets (eg a house, but not a boat) generally have to go through the probate system in the country they are in. However, my understanding is that probate issued in the former British colonies (that would be nz ) are accepted in the UK in some form.

Guardian Trust has quite helpful information:
http://www.guardiantrust.co.nz/dirgz/guardian/nzgt.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/AutoAttach0003/$FILE/estateman.pdf

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Aug 6th 2008 at 4:20 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, it's helpful.

We're coming to Welly in September!...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

We haven't made a will yet, and I have been wondering what would happen to our two little girls if anything happened to me and OH in NZ as we wouldn't have any family there, and only have in laws here who are getting on a bit in the UK. What have other folk done about their children should the unthinkable happen??? Any advice appreciated.

ta

Lou
xxxxx
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: Wills

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
We haven't made a will yet, and I have been wondering what would happen to our two little girls if anything happened to me and OH in NZ as we wouldn't have any family there, and only have in laws here who are getting on a bit in the UK. What have other folk done about their children should the unthinkable happen??? Any advice appreciated.

ta

Lou
xxxxx

Hi Lou, I've had the same thought. How old are your girls? We couldn't decide who to leave our girls to in our wills in this country, let alone what if something happens whilst living over in NZ?! Nightmare...

Nic
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:45 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou

ta

Lou
xxxxx

Our boys are now 23 and 19, but when they were younger we did make provisions for them to go to live with close friends should anything happen to either of us. I couldn't cope with the thought of the boys going into care and perhaps being split up. loosing both parents would be bad enough but then to be shipped off to total strangers, doesn't bare thinking about.

Our property and money to go into trust until boys old enough.

Pauline
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:59 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Our property and money to go into trust until boys old enough.

That reminds me of something, in NZ that age is 20. They can access income and capital (in most cases unless you specify otherwise) but they can't actually receive it until 20.

The exception to that if the amount is very small (say, $2000). In that case often it can just be signed over to a responsible person.

Nothing stopping you making it older when they get their cash, but it won't be younger than 20.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph
Hi Lou, I've had the same thought. How old are your girls? We couldn't decide who to leave our girls to in our wills in this country, let alone what if something happens whilst living over in NZ?! Nightmare...

Nic
Hi Nic,

Our girls are 2 and 4. It is a nightmare isn't it. You don't like to think about these things, but being so far away, the last thing as Pauline said would be for them to go into care. I guess I'll have to have a chat with OH's parents and put them down, would much rather they be with them then strangers!! As we haven't got a will yet, may just wait and do it in NZ. Oh! So much to think about. But better safe then sorry!!!

Lou
xx