Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Will you take citizenship?

View Poll Results: Will you take citizenship?
Already have!
6.38%
Yes, definitely will
57.45%
Probably, not entirely sure yet
23.40%
On the fence
4.26%
Probably not
4.26%
Definitely not
4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Will you take citizenship?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will you take citizenship?

Absolutely, definitely WILL take citizenship!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:36 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paladin
Absolutely, definitely WILL take citizenship!
Yes we would definitely take citizenship, its a great thing to be able to do for your kids, and does show your real commitment to NZ.
Can I ask how long it is before ourselves and 2 kids will become citizens, its something we havn't looked into yet?
Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I will when the time comes, even for the sake of being able to return whenever I wanted if i ever decided to leave.

Some Benefits:-
Foreign travel and freedom to return to New Zealand on a New Zealand passport. (This includes going over to Australia on holiday you don't need a visa and you can work/live there)
Full economic rights;
Some public service positions may only be held by New Zealand citizens;
Ownership of rural land is difficult for people who are not New Zealand citizens. (not all rural land as i own some and am only resident!)
Full access to education;
Only New Zealand citizens qualify for;
subsidised fees;
some scholarships and awards;
financial assistance from some overseas universities.
Access to international sport;
Some sports require that international players are citizens of the country they represent
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Marika, it depends when you got your Permanent Residence;

if you got PR or applied before the 21st April 2005 then its 3 years from the date of your arrival in NZ (depending on whether you have spent alot of time out of NZ);

and if you got PR after the 21st April 2005 its 5 years
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:41 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

yep, I will for sure. Just gotta get my $500 together and learn the words to the national anthem!

For me the main reason for it is easier access to Oz for holidays without having to get a visa every time.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you take citizenship? - yes indeed!!!

At the risk of being shot down in flames, given the rest of the dough I am gonna be losing in the next 5 years then $500 per person is a mere drop in the ocean.....is there anyone here who is on PR nd does not want a shot at citizenship?? Why be here, other than to get us/our kids a passport and some options in NZ/Oz for their future.....??? Having said that going to Oz would be better on that front - pity MrsL hates spiders/snakes/insects and will not live in Oz (she says)...
I know some ex-Pats (Indian citizens, for example) say are uhhming and ahhing about giving up their nationality in favour of NZ but as there is no loss for us British then this is a bit of a no-brainer.....this being a British Expats forum and dual nationality being possible with Britain.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:39 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Dual nationality = 2 citizenships.

What's it called when you have 3?...
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

Gypsy?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:34 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional_Gypsy
Gypsy?
Well yes... great screen name, karma for that!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I voted yes probably, only because I don't want to presume too much, I mean we haven't got the visa yet!

But when we do I would definitely go for citizenship.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 2:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Not silly at all. I know that if we do move and I choose to give up my US citizenship, there would be difficulties, esp if my daughter decided to live in the US at any time. There are complications with visiting (at least the US) if you voluntarily go and give up your allegiance and hand in your passport etc. I will never give up my British citizenship either.
Becoming a New Zealand does not cause loss of US citizenship. However you are still expected to maintain a valid US passport and continue filing for US federal tax even if you don't have to pay anything.

Visit http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ for a comprehensive view of the US position.

Becoming a New Zealander doesn't cause loss of British citizenship either, although a depressingly high number of people think that it does.