British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Will you take citizenship? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/will-you-take-citizenship-437607/)

Maz Mar 26th 2007 3:33 pm

Will you take citizenship?

When you're eligible, will you? Or maybe you have already? :)

Maz Mar 26th 2007 3:35 pm

Re: Will you take citizenship?

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4563039)
When you're eligible, will you? Or maybe you have already? :)

I will. I have a collection of two so far, one more won't hurt. :p

P2L Mar 26th 2007 5:10 pm

We will. Gives us all a lot more options in the future;)

jueinnz Mar 26th 2007 7:06 pm

I'm not sure there are many gains, but OH sayes yes if England joins the Euro????????:huh:

pixi-dust Mar 26th 2007 8:03 pm

We will for sure.

This is going to sound odd, but if we had to give up our first one to become citizens I would have found this very difficult - but as we don't we will definitely apply.

Maz Mar 26th 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by pixi-dust (Post 4564263)
We will for sure.

This is going to sound odd, but if we had to give up our first one to become citizens I would have found this very difficult - but as we don't we will definitely apply.

Not silly at all. I know that if we do move and I choose to give up my US citizenship, there would be difficulties, esp if my daughter decided to live in the US at any time. There are complications with visiting (at least the US) if you voluntarily go and give up your allegiance and hand in your passport etc. I will never give up my British citizenship either.

Leighlou Mar 26th 2007 9:09 pm

Sorry, being uneducated here in the ways of how this all works. From reading the comments, taking NZ Citizenship does not mean giving up UK one? Is this right? :confused: If so, can someone let me in on what are the benefits of an NZ citizenship? Does it give more security in NZ (i.e. can't kick us out at any point?)?:confused:
Sorry if being a bit thick but never looked into this before.:o
Thanks, Leighlou

Maz Mar 26th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Leighlou (Post 4564597)
Sorry, being uneducated here in the ways of how this all works. From reading the comments, taking NZ Citizenship does not mean giving up UK one? Is this right? :confused: If so, can someone let me in on what are the benefits of an NZ citizenship? Does it give more security in NZ (i.e. can't kick us out at any point?)?:confused:
Sorry if being a bit thick but never looked into this before.:o
Thanks, Leighlou

I believe you've hit the nail on the head with all your questions, and you are correct, as far as I know, with your assumptions.

You can have dual nationality.

happynz Mar 26th 2007 9:55 pm

Yes, I wish I had done the PR application back when I arrived in January 2002. I'd be a citizen already. As it is now, we won't be eligible until 2011, but never mind. By then my daughter will have three passports -- US, Thailand and New Zealand. Sweet as...

pixi-dust Mar 26th 2007 10:32 pm

TBH I'm not even sure what the benefits are! If any. I just feel that if I'm living in a country and not planning to leave, and contributing to life here etc I'd like to be a citizen! I know its a 'bit of paper' but - I dunno really!!!! We both just always wanted to! :unsure:

donnaf Mar 27th 2007 1:44 am

Yes we definitely will, I aree with pixi - dust, it's about commitment. Also my daughter desperately wants to be an "official" kiwi. Not sure of any benefits outside of personal ones but I think I would feel a sense of "belonging" if that makes sense:confused:

Maz Mar 27th 2007 3:08 am

I'm interested to know who said "Probably not" and "Definitely not", and why. Just curious, no mud-slinging. :)

Boopy Mar 27th 2007 9:08 am

We probably will, but not 100% sure. I think it cost about $500 each.

urbanproject Mar 27th 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4563054)
I will. I have a collection of two so far, one more won't hurt. :p

Same here, so voted yes definitely :thumbup:

SarahB Mar 27th 2007 9:54 am

Yep definately will. We have one little kiwi here already! :D