Will we survive?

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will we survive?

Originally Posted by SarahB
We dont say that life is bad here..... we like it here but find some things pricey... we actually come on here to warn you that things arnt always cheap as chips.... some certain things are expensive here....theres no getting away from that. You have limited choice here and sometimes end up paying a lot more for something than you did in the UK. I wish Id found this site a lot earlier than I did before moving and had opened my eyes a bit more..... we only spoke to Kiwis about life here before moving.... big mistake... you need to talk to people who have made the move across and get the truth....
Agree. Someone once said on this site (like I've been a member for years!!)
that it is advisable to stop thinking in terms of what things used to cost in Sterling-you'll never get comfortable with the idea-start thinking in dollars-and don't look back.
Live within your means and all will be reasonable. A lot of posters appear to be debt free. That'll do me!!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

OK, this may sound a little on the negative side, but I wish I had this info when I arrived...

Don't fall into the "oh it's half the price it is in England" trap - I did and wish I didn't! Remember that you will be earning dollars, so you should be thinking dollars.

Basically, if you've a whole home set up in the UK, bring everything with you and then you won't need to buy anything new when you arrive!

Don't spend money like water when you arrive, get used to what the price of things cost, window shop lots to get a feel of costs, peel the "no circulars" sticker off your letter box and read them.

Be aware that anything Made in China will last five minutes and be aware that the cheap quality you have come to expect in the UK doesn't exist here. My funniest (now) moment was when I bought a duvet for $20 - bargain! Queen sized duvet for 7 pounds!!! When I opened it, it was almost like gauze, it was so thin!!!!!!! You could see the duvet through the cover and all the dye ran out on the first wash... lesson learnt - who's ever heard of thread count? Not me in the UK, I assumed all duvets came at a standard quality... Ah, ASDA and their beautiful kids' patterned duvet covers for 5 pounds...
Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

catzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
Thanks...that's pretty much how we live...we have a non debt lifestyle, a car each (few years old, bought for cash) and a motorbike (again, 1997 and bought for cash), so we don't need the newest of everything. We just want a mortgage and property to call our own in addiion to these basic things...something we can't achieve in the UK with property prices out of our reach. Mostly to do with business rents etc as we are out £400 a week renting a bedsit and shop premises (Mrs is hairdresser). With a run down terrace at £80K we're nowhere near affording. Looked at being employed, and hairdressers just dont get a living wage in the Uk when compared to cost of living (most employed hairdressers are under 20). With esearch in NZ we should attain $70K between the 2 of us at least...and that's enough for a mortgage there.

Thanks again for the reality check...I wonder what some peoples lifestyles need to be when they worry earning $100K + .....

The worries were generated by reading previous posts on this site which implied (last Year) that $60k was the absolute bare minimum you would need just to survive, we ain't prepared to move to the other side of the world just " to survive" and has been said before " the scenery may be great but you can't eat it" .The lifestyle we're looking for is a roof over our heads food in our bellys and the odd pint in our hands, and a bit left over for the odd meal out, a bit of scuba diving, fishing and the odd bit of retail therapy If we can achieve that on less than $100k then all well and good, it increasesour options no end. We do not aspire to the new 4x4/BMW in the drive and 5 beds/ 3 baths home and the endless conversations about how much "ones" property value has risen in the last 12 months, in fact we LOATHE that mentality and want to escape from it. So, all you good people who have negative comments about the reality of life in NZ please, please qualify them so that we the uninitiated can make an informed decision. $70k seems ok to us but when you read that $60k is the breadline you do tend to worry!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:11 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by catzohm
The worries were generated by reading previous posts on this site which implied (last Year) that $60k was the absolute bare minimum you would need just to survive, we ain't prepared to move to the other side of the world just " to survive" and has been said before " the scenery may be great but you can't eat it" .The lifestyle we're looking for is a roof over our heads food in our bellys and the odd pint in our hands, and a bit left over for the odd meal out, a bit of scuba diving, fishing and the odd bit of retail therapy If we can achieve that on less than $100k then all well and good, it increasesour options no end. We do not aspire to the new 4x4/BMW in the drive and 5 beds/ 3 baths home and the endless conversations about how much "ones" property value has risen in the last 12 months, in fact we LOATHE that mentality and want to escape from it. So, all you good people who have negative comments about the reality of life in NZ please, please qualify them so that we the uninitiated can make an informed decision. $70k seems ok to us but when you read that $60k is the breadline you do tend to worry!
hear, hear....exactly what we aspire to as well, fingers crossed $70K would do it....looks like it might in Rotorua from the rental costs I've seen.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Javelin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by catzohm
If we make it over and both find full time jobs we could expect to earn at least 100,000NZ$ between us, possibly more if we got lucky, we may also be mortgage free (assuming 2.60NZ$ to the £). However given some of the comments from previous posts Re: cost of living etc, would this be enough? We are only looking for an "average" lifestyle. We haven't decided on a location yet, but not Auckland.

Daft question #2
do you have the dreaded/hated/despised Leylandii over there?

P+G
If you are mortgage free you'll be laughing on $100,000 a year. My wife and I arrived in Auckland three weeks ago with two kids and about NZ$5,000...and that tends to focus the mind. The first week we were here my wife had three interviews, the second week she worked as a temp at NZ$19/hr, and on the Monday at the start of the third week she began a full time job. At the same time I had two interviews and I start a full time job this coming Monday, (the start of the fourth week).

Our combined salary will be $115,000 pa ...after tax, rent, utility bills and childcare fees we'll clear about NZ$900/week and it's enough. When our son starts school in February that figure will go up to NZ$1,125/week. Opening a bank account is easy...we did it when we arrived and basically showed our passport...getting an IRD number took less than 24 hours as we faxed the form and they called us the next morning with the numbers.

Just do it...we love the people and from our previous experiences of visiting New Zealand we love the pace...if you're looking to live a UK lifestyle...why go to New Zealand. Hope that helps!