British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Will we survive? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/will-we-survive-391322/)

catzohm Aug 18th 2006 5:26 pm

Will we survive?

If we make it over and both find full time jobs we could expect to earn at least 100,000NZ$ between us, possibly more if we got lucky, we may also be mortgage free (assuming 2.60NZ$ to the £). However given some of the comments from previous posts Re: cost of living etc, would this be enough? We are only looking for an "average" lifestyle. We haven't decided on a location yet, but not Auckland.

Daft question #2
do you have the dreaded/hated/despised Leylandii over there?

P+G

Nice Guy Aug 18th 2006 8:11 pm

Re: Will we survive?

Huh, I thought this post was back in time..................have you not looked at the recent exchange rate?

Currently your one pommie pound will buy 2.94 Kiwi dollars not 2.6, so I suspect you will be mortgage free.

NZ$100,000 is a nice sum to earn and if you are mortgage free can you lend me a tenner?

And...................yes..............I believe there is the dreaded leylandii in NZ however.....................there are fairly strict enforceable rules about blocking of views and light and they are generally adhered to, plus the neighbours in NZ are more likely to bake you a cake than put up fast growing trees.

Not so anal as pommie neighbours.

Biddy Aug 19th 2006 12:57 am

Take it from someone who earns significantly less than your $100K and has 3 kids - you'll survive.

Apple12 Aug 19th 2006 1:08 am

Originally Posted by catzohm
If we make it over and both find full time jobs we could expect to earn at least 100,000NZ$ between us, possibly more if we got lucky, we may also be mortgage free (assuming 2.60NZ$ to the £). However given some of the comments from previous posts Re: cost of living etc, would this be enough? We are only looking for an "average" lifestyle. We haven't decided on a location yet, but not Auckland.

Daft question #2

P+G

Yip you will do much better than survive!

Joshlin Aug 19th 2006 1:36 am

we have a joint income of just under $100,000, and we have a mortgage of $500 per fortnight, we have 2 kids - we need to work to a budget but we do OK. You'll be right! :)
Vicki

catzohm Aug 19th 2006 8:24 pm

Thanks for the positive replies, reassuring to say the least!! Shame about the Leylandii but at least the kiwis seem to have some consideration for their neighbours. Not offended by the "anal Pommies" comment, it gets truer by the day, can't wait to get away from them.

P + G

trying to keep it sunny side up !!! :beer:

cottageinthesky Aug 19th 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks for the positive replies, reassuring to say the least!! Shame about the Leylandii but at least the kiwis seem to have some consideration for their neighbours. Not offended by the "anal Pommies" comment, it gets truer by the day, can't wait to get away from them.

P + G

trying to keep it sunny side up !!! :beer:

Have to say, it's much easier to be considerate in NZ as there is so much more personal space - I really noticed the difference last time I went back to the UK - just too many people!!

theguitardoctor Aug 19th 2006 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Joshlin
we have a joint income of just under $100,000, and we have a mortgage of $500 per fortnight, we have 2 kids - we need to work to a budget but we do OK. You'll be right! :)
Vicki

How about $70-80K for the two of us (both hairdressers, one highly qualified 12+ yrs experience etc, one more recently qualified for all intents and purposes, and this seems to be the average pay? Anyone confirm?). Hoping to live away from a major city, but within an hours drive.....

cheers, Rich

mumomonty Aug 20th 2006 11:41 pm

Daft question #2

P+G

Dunno what jobs you guys are gonna do but I am a secretary and just went for an interview and got offered 13 / hourthis happens consistently - usually from 11 - 15 an hour! I fancied being a posty and got offered 11 an hour. I did a posty job in Oz and got 18 an hour to start and this was not in a major town and they pay your super.
I'm very despondent about the wages over here. By the time you've filled up the car for the week etc. there's not a lot left. Professionals obviously earn more than that!

Yes Leylandii are here (I'm north island, can't speak for south).
They hate other things here , i.e. Buddleias and possums!

dlmckay Aug 21st 2006 12:21 am

gosh, can I live with you?

Joint income of $69K, living in Auckland, mortgage of $250K (monthly payment between $1500-1700), three kids, two cars...

You might have to knock the caviar to once a week... hmmm, do you think you'll cope? :p

theguitardoctor Aug 21st 2006 12:27 am

Originally Posted by dlmckay
gosh, can I live with you?

Joint income of $69K, living in Auckland, mortgage of $250K (monthly payment between $1500-1700), three kids, two cars...

You might have to knock the caviar to once a week... hmmm, do you think you'll cope? :p

If you live ok at that income, then I don't feel so bad, as thats what I anticipate our income to be....we are without kids at present too, so that's a little more free cash I guess. Had me panicked when people were worried earning 100K and being mortgage free !! ...

dlmckay Aug 21st 2006 12:51 am

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
If you live ok at that income, then I don't feel so bad, as thats what I anticipate our income to be....we are without kids at present too, so that's a little more free cash I guess. Had me panicked when people were worried earning 100K and being mortgage free !! ...

You get people like that everywhere "Darling, how will we afford to pay Jeeves" - must admit though, we're not as much of the consumers that we used to be in the UK, but we don't have any monthly debts to pay either (like catalogues, Christmas clubs, book clubs, credit cards, car loan).

One of the things we said we'd do over here is "no debt". We have the mortgage and nothing else - bliss!

catzohm Aug 21st 2006 8:54 pm

We got a little worried given the amount of negative posts around, many of them moaning about the sheer cost of living and property prices. Seems that some people may be prone to overstating how bad life is over there. From the latest posts, think we'll skip the butler and caviar and work part time instead.

theguitardoctor Aug 21st 2006 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by dlmckay
You get people like that everywhere "Darling, how will we afford to pay Jeeves" - must admit though, we're not as much of the consumers that we used to be in the UK, but we don't have any monthly debts to pay either (like catalogues, Christmas clubs, book clubs, credit cards, car loan).

One of the things we said we'd do over here is "no debt". We have the mortgage and nothing else - bliss!

Thanks...that's pretty much how we live...we have a non debt lifestyle, a car each (few years old, bought for cash) and a motorbike (again, 1997 and bought for cash), so we don't need the newest of everything. We just want a mortgage and property to call our own in addiion to these basic things...something we can't achieve in the UK with property prices out of our reach. Mostly to do with business rents etc as we are out £400 a week renting a bedsit and shop premises (Mrs is hairdresser). With a run down terrace at £80K we're nowhere near affording. Looked at being employed, and hairdressers just dont get a living wage in the Uk when compared to cost of living (most employed hairdressers are under 20). With esearch in NZ we should attain $70K between the 2 of us at least...and that's enough for a mortgage there.

Thanks again for the reality check...I wonder what some peoples lifestyles need to be when they worry earning $100K + .....

SarahB Aug 22nd 2006 3:27 am

We got a little worried given the amount of negative posts around, many of them moaning about the sheer cost of living and property prices. Seems that some people may be prone to overstating how bad life is over there. From the latest posts, think we'll skip the butler and caviar and work part time instead.

We dont say that life is bad here..... we like it here but find some things pricey... we actually come on here to warn you that things arnt always cheap as chips.... some certain things are expensive here....theres no getting away from that. You have limited choice here and sometimes end up paying a lot more for something than you did in the UK. I wish Id found this site a lot earlier than I did before moving and had opened my eyes a bit more..... we only spoke to Kiwis about life here before moving.... big mistake... you need to talk to people who have made the move across and get the truth....