Reload this Page >

Will they like us???

Will they like us???

Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:18 am
Just Joined

paulnalli7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will they like us???

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but i must say, reading the threads, you guys have posted some great information!

I am in the process of booking flights to Aucland for a job interview that will take me to Northland. My wife and I have been looking at KeriKeri real estate and have fallen in love with the place!

I have been in contact with a couple of people who have made the leap and some are telling me that Brits arent particularly tolloerated in the north including one person being told 'this Maori country, you are not welcome'

I am not daft enough to think that everone can be liked wherever they go, but can someone please tell me if this is indicative of life on the Nort Island?

I am looking to go there to give my wife and Kids a better quality of life. My wife is disabled as is my Stepson (not enough to stop us getting in or not working) and i want the best for all of us.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Paul
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will they like us???

Originally Posted by paulnalli7
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but i must say, reading the threads, you guys have posted some great information!

I am in the process of booking flights to Aucland for a job interview that will take me to Northland. My wife and I have been looking at KeriKeri real estate and have fallen in love with the place!

I have been in contact with a couple of people who have made the leap and some are telling me that Brits arent particularly tolloerated in the north including one person being told 'this Maori country, you are not welcome'

I am not daft enough to think that everone can be liked wherever they go, but can someone please tell me if this is indicative of life on the Nort Island?

I am looking to go there to give my wife and Kids a better quality of life. My wife is disabled as is my Stepson (not enough to stop us getting in or not working) and i want the best for all of us.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Paul
I am sure there are both Maori and white here that dislike each other and I can believe that comment above was said by some small minded extremist person.

You could get that comment in Palmerston North if you look hard enough. Fair to say Northland is less populous and you may find yourself in a minority in some smaller towns perchance..or less of a majority lets say.

You will not know what happens till you get here. See I love NZ but many understandably hate it and think I am barking mad staying in a country that in their eyes is CRAP in every respect.

You have to take a chance Paul and get over here and start living the kiwi dream that one assumes you have. Alas tensions betwixt Maori and Pakeha do appear to be on the increase BUT that is NOT a reason not to come.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Not sure we have that many Northlanders of this site..main reason being less jobs. It is supposed to be outrageously beautiful with a great climate...too good just now as they have a devastating drought at present. It also gets waaaaaaaaaaaay less earthquake activity. Which is nice.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

If you are decent, honest,kind hearted people who muck in and like to support your local community eg PTA , are not snobby or ostentatious, then they will like you.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately that comment doesn't surprise me.

And yes, Maori/Pakeha tension is very real, particularly in the north island. But it depends a lot where you are.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:54 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
If you are decent, honest,kind hearted people who muck in and like to support your local community eg PTA , are not snobby or ostentatious, then they will like you.
And who the hell cares if some people dont like me the people that like me matter and ***** the rest
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:45 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul, what a load of rot!
We live in the Kerikeri area and work even further north in Kaitaia and absolutely love it up here.
One kiwi told us the same thing before we moved here almost 5 years ago. He didn't put us off at all but I did wonder! Turned out he hadn't visited for over 20 years.
Our teeny village is predominantly maori and our patients up north are also predominantly maori and a nicer bunch of people you couldn't meet.
Treat all people nicely, be friendly, be yourself ( so long as you're nice )
As for kerikeri it's not totally a true reflection on northland imho. It's a very well off place. very friendly, incredibly well suited to families, I think.
It is small, the nearest city is Whangarei, but we're really well supplied with everything we need.
If I can help you with anything just ask and I can try!

( my blog is my sig - you can have a gander at what life is like up here - we live way out in the sticks though so are maybe more rural than you're looking for, but then again we're only 2o mins from kerikeri. If you look at the right hand side there's a list of the 'tags' look at Bay of islands if you just want a quick glance)

Last edited by pixi-dust; Mar 11th 2010 at 1:49 am.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

It would be unfair to say that the whole North Island is racist. However Northland is quite remote and not necessarily reflective of the rest of NI.

We went to the Bay of Islands on holiday last year and visited Kerikeri. It was lovely, but we did notice a difference between the affluent touristy areas around Waitangi, and the inland towns. e.g. we visited Kaikohe and the poverty was noticeable. We also felt quite conspicuous as Pakeha and Brits.

I liked the area, but just be aware of potential issues.

Alison
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:46 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved to the UK, I had a lot of people telling me to f off n go back to France...

You'll meet tw@ts, just like anywhere else you go! The important you give to them is what will make the difference....

That's how I see it...
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
When I first moved to the UK, I had a lot of people telling me to f off n go back to France...

You'll meet tw@ts, just like anywhere else you go! The important you give to them is what will make the difference....

That's how I see it...
Are you a french then? I am half french. The other half is Irish..and I wonder why my kids are odd???
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:30 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleal
. we visited Kaikohe and the poverty was noticeable. We also felt quite conspicuous as Pakeha and Brits.

I liked the area, but just be aware of potential issues.

Alison
I am surprised. I go to kaikohe most days, and while I totally agree, it's most definitely not affluent - I don't feel conspicuous at all. It's probably different when you live somewhere. Either that or I am totally oblivious!

It's maybe a bit like - we hear on the news that for example - there are gangs in Wanganoui - but i bet most people that live there never even see a gang ( or am i totally wrong?)
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:35 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Are you a french then? I am half french. The other half is Irish..and I wonder why my kids are odd???
You bet I am... Francais et fier!!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Bonjour, Now f*** off back to France
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Matewx
You bet I am... Francais et fier!!
Tres bien mon ami. Francais cette un pays encroyable mais non? Avant NZ francais etait notre choisis premier. Nous sommes tres heureuse NZ gagne!!! A bientot. Excuse vocabliare tres mal.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:16 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Bumper stickers seen in the US:

"Welcome to the USA. Now speak English or leave"

"If in doubt, empty the magazine"

Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

tres mal
Merde

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.