Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Will, Power of Attorney

Will, Power of Attorney

Old Apr 24th 2006, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Default Will, Power of Attorney

I have a will and power of attorney including medical power of attorney. When we move to NZ will we need a new will and other documents or will our current documents be sufficient? Any lawyers or others who have crossed this bridge?
Old Apr 24th 2006, 3:11 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will, Power of Attorney

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
I have a will and power of attorney including medical power of attorney. When we move to NZ will we need a new will and other documents or will our current documents be sufficient? Any lawyers or others who have crossed this bridge?
If these relate to someone who will continue to remain in the UK (assuming that's where you are coming from) they should be okay. If this person moves to NZ with you, then I would take your UK documents to a Lawyer in NZ so that they can be validated and new documents drawn up that apply under NZ law.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kiwichild
If these relate to someone who will continue to remain in the UK (assuming that's where you are coming from) they should be okay. If this person moves to NZ with you, then I would take your UK documents to a Lawyer in NZ so that they can be validated and new documents drawn up that apply under NZ law.
I agree witk Kiwi Child having just done the same thing. The enduring power of attourney I've just signed in the UK applies to UK law and UK assets only. I will need to do the same thing to cover NZ law and any NZ assets.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:27 am
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future

As Radio Ham says about POA, (interesting to know but I will be in NZ so don't need POA), any Will drawn out in the UK will be valid for UK assets only. As soon as you have cash, assets, etc in NZ, you will need a new Will apparently, (according to my solicitor).
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Thank-you for your posts. It is interesting to identifiy all of these hidden costs of moving.