Reload this Page >

Will it be possible for us?

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:44 am
Just Joined

JayneEH will become famous soon enoughJayneEH will become famous soon enough
Default Will it be possible for us?

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone will be able to tell me if it's worth getting all excited about the possibility of migrating to New Zealand? We're also thinking about Australia.

My hubby is a metering engineer, in that he installs electric meters into homes/factories/schools etc for a national power company. He has no City and Guilds qualifications but has been on the job trained and has done the job for at least 5 years (I think, need to check with him). His qualifications/certificates are all from his employer.

I don't want to get my hopes up only for them to say he's not qualified in the area they want or that he's not had enough experience.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Jayne
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Will it be possible for us?

The NZIS like you to have certicates etc if you apply to be a migrant. Maybe the best for you would be to look for a job in NZ/Oz and then get the Residence status. If your job is in high demand the NZ employers will interview you in England, otherwise you could go for a holiday there, or "migrate" on a tourist visa (with a return ticket) and look for work, although this is a bit risky, but many many people do it that way
Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Hi Jayne, we are from Whitwell (nr Clowne). My partner used to work at Chesterfield hospital. Have a look at the NZ immigration website. Also do lots of research on the net for work. Even come out here and look for work. If your hubby can land a job when he is here you can a apply for a work visa and take it from there. If you are determined it can happen. Never never give up on your dream. Good luck.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:56 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
Hi Jayne, we are from Whitwell (nr Clowne). My partner used to work at Chesterfield hospital. Have a look at the NZ immigration website. Also do lots of research on the net for work. Even come out here and look for work. If your hubby can land a job when he is here you can a apply for a work visa and take it from there. If you are determined it can happen. Never never give up on your dream. Good luck.
Upper Langwith

Hows NZ compared to our area? (daft question I know )
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Upper Langwith

Hows NZ compared to our area? (daft question I know )
Well I loved living in Whitwell. Great people, pubs, countryside. Miss it all terribly but the people here are great too, fantastic countryside, climate lovely ( it is here in the Bay of Plenty). Plenty of open spaces, great beaches ( lots of days you can have them all to yourself). We always wanted ( dreamed of owning) a smallholding ( impossible for us in the UK) We have it here. From a ex council house to 4 acres with fantastic views, lots of sunshine and the pacific ocean 5 minutes away.

We have made lots of new friends and its alot more laid back here ( we find it that way anyhow).

We love it here but miss England, our friends there and the local. The pubs here are not the same. But if we went back we would miss here now so much.

Hows it compare to our area? Depends really. We lived in a nice area with great people ( www.whitwell.com ). But we also do here too. It all depends if where you live is nice and if you like it. Also do you want to leave it all behind. Its a big step but also an adventure and if it does not work out you can go always back. How many people can say that they tried it? If you do not like it and go back its not a failure. Its been an experience you will remember forever. I doubt we will return, not yet anyhow. If we do we will cherish our time here forever.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your choice.

Last edited by lizard; Oct 6th 2006 at 9:14 am.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:30 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
Well I loved living in Whitwell. Great people, pubs, countryside. Miss it all terribly but the people here are great too, fantastic countryside, climate lovely ( it is here in the Bay of Plenty). Plenty of open spaces, great beaches ( lots of days you can have them all to yourself). We always wanted ( dreamed of owning) a smallholding ( impossible for us in the UK) We have it here. From a ex council house to 4 acres with fantastic views, lots of sunshine and the pacific ocean 5 minutes away.

We have made lots of new friends and its alot more laid back here ( we find it that way anyhow).

We love it here but miss England, our friends there and the local. The pubs here are not the same. But if we went back we would miss here now so much.

Hows it compare to our area? Depends really. We lived in a nice area with great people ( www.whitwell.com ). But we also do here too. It all depends if where you live is nice and if you like it. Also do you want to leave it all behind. Its a big step but also an adventure and if it does not work out you can go always back. How many people can say that they tried it? If you do not like it and go back its not a failure. Its been an experience you will remember forever. I doubt we will return, not yet anyhow. If we do we will cherish our time here forever.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your choice.
Thanks for the reply. Ive made my mind up its my missus thats not so keen

But we have both got to want to do 100% or not at all

Enjoy