Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

will my tv work???

will my tv work???

Old Jul 30th 2005, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future
Default will my tv work???

will my uk tv work in new zealand?
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will my tv work???

Originally Posted by MV5555
Hi, from what I've read on other threads, yes the TV will work if you have the SKY package in NZ, no it won't work if you plug it directly into the antenna, something to do with different frequencies. However lots of family's have taken their TV's for the kids to play games consoles and video's etc....
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by planty
Hi, from what I've read on other threads, yes the TV will work if you have the SKY package in NZ, no it won't work if you plug it directly into the antenna, something to do with different frequencies. However lots of family's have taken their TV's for the kids to play games consoles and video's etc....
thanx for the reply.....can someone give me info in the sky package ...what it contains .i have heard its quite expensive ect.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

thanx for the reply.....can someone give me info in the sky package ...what it contains .i have heard its quite expensive ect.

Here's the link...

http://www.skytv.co.nz/
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planty
Here's the link...

http://www.skytv.co.nz/
I'm sure I read somewhere as well that you can get a telephone company to do the three, sky, telephone line rental and broadband which is expensive but sounds as though could be essential. So either start reading back some of the old threads or wait and see if someone can post the name of the company.

I new I should have made a note of it when I saw it.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future

I contacted a company in NZ and they said if your tele is new it will be fitted with a world tuner so it will work fine but older teles will only receive sky as NZ programmes use VHF and UHF and our teles only programmed for UHF.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:02 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally Posted by dlummis
I contacted a company in NZ and they said if your tele is new it will be fitted with a world tuner so it will work fine but older teles will only receive sky as NZ programmes use VHF and UHF and our teles only programmed for UHF.
Not quite the case, new UK TV's you can get the picture but no sound as it is this which is on a different frequency. Correct you can use the tv's if you put them through a Sky box or Saturn cable or you send the signal via infa red from one TV 2 another. Some of our UK tv's are just used 4 Xbox etc due to sound problem and no sky in that room.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:17 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do, you still won't get UK Channel 5
Old Jul 31st 2005, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

debnjohn will become famous soon enough

If your TV is fairly new it 'may' decode the audio for you.
A cheaper option than having your TV retrofitted would be to buy a cheap ($99) video recorder and route the signal thru that (provided your TV has a Scart socket).
John
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:38 am

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

All of the above are correct..... NZ uses both UHF and VHF frequencies for TV (UK only uses UHF). It is possible - but RARE to get multi tuner TV's in the UK.

Sky Digital (Satellite) is $99 to install (including dish, lnb, stb, cabling etc) about $45 per month for the basic package - add another $15 for sports or $24 if you want the rugby channel too - and $19 if you want the movies.

There are a few other option - PPV movies are on there and there are the usual 'extra' 'special interest' late night channels.

Sky also feed the standard analogue channels (TV1, TV2, TV3, Prime, C4 (music) through the sat too - which is good because standard reception can be patchy - even in built up areas of Auckland)

Only problem with Sky Digi - is that it hooks off an Australian satellite (Austar I think) which is very low on the horizon - making the signal susceptable to failure in very heavy rain etc.

Electrically your Tv will be fine. It will also work fine if you use the SCART or AV ports as the TV system is the same (PAL). In addition, PS2's XBoxes etc will also work fine on NZ TVs

Steve

Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:41 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

I think that we will be taking our TV over as at least the PS2 and DVD will work on it and if we get Sky then as previously said it's PAL anyway so the SCART connection will give the signal we need.

However, how much is the cost of a 32" TV anyway in NZ?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
I think that we will be taking our TV over as at least the PS2 and DVD will work on it and if we get Sky then as previously said it's PAL anyway so the SCART connection will give the signal we need.

However, how much is the cost of a 32" TV anyway in NZ?
Try these:
www.dse.co.nz - dick smith electronics, 32" flat w'screen $1698
www.noelleeming.co.nz - philips 32" widescreen $999.99
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Whatever you do, you still won't get UK Channel 5
get depressed....TV is SHOCKING here......Thank GOD for SKY TV
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly is shocking.....but I'm getting used to it already!! lol
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:33 pm
Rock On NZ!

popkid will become famous soon enoughpopkid will become famous soon enough

I have looked into this quite a lot - basically both UK and NZ are PAL systems but the audio component of the signal is on a slightly different carrier frequency. I understand all the answers regarding using SCART/component inputs etc but I have a further question:

what about the recording aspect of multi-region DVD player/recorders.
No-one seems to know exactly - the one I'm shipping lets you choose between NTSC and PAL but just that choice ie. it doesnt mention different versions of PAL. Anyone know about this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.