British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Will I be earning enough? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/will-i-earning-enough-333062/)

Digital Oct 23rd 2005 12:27 am

Will I be earning enough?

I am currently going through the selection process to transfer to the NZ police service. I have got the final interview and fitness test at the end November. If successful I will be starting on the 24th April '06.

Part of the package they are offering is recognition of prior service in the UK. This means I will be earning $56400 per year.

We are a family of 4. Two kids 8 and 10 yrs old. My wife wont be working in the first 3 to 6 months so she can get the kids settled in etc. We should be taking between £20 & £30k with us in equity.

I have read though a lot of posts with regards to the spiraling cost of living of living in NZ. My major concern at the moment is will I be earning enough. How does $56k compare to other NZ wages?

We will almost certainly end up in the Auckland area as that is where most of the postings will be, all though I would rather have somewhere on the South Island.

So the question is really to people all ready out there. Will 56k be enough to support a family of 4?

We are not moving for financial reasons. All though the move would allow us to pay off loans etc in the UK and make a fresh start. However being financially secure is an important part of anyone's quality of life.

sky Oct 23rd 2005 12:53 am

Re: Will I be earning enough?

It's not a lot of money to be having to live off in the Auckland area.
I can't believe they're recruiting police again, it was only last year that they sent a poor policeman back home after he had come to take up a post that they then decided they couldn't fund!

shazzafromnz Oct 23rd 2005 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Digital
I am currently going through the selection process to transfer to the NZ police service. I have got the final interview and fitness test at the end November. If successful I will be starting on the 24th April '06.

Part of the package they are offering is recognition of prior service in the UK. This means I will be earning $56400 per year.

We are a family of 4. Two kids 8 and 10 yrs old. My wife wont be working in the first 3 to 6 months so she can get the kids settled in etc. We should be taking between £20 & £30k with us in equity.

I have read though a lot of posts with regards to the spiraling cost of living of living in NZ. My major concern at the moment is will I be earning enough. How does $56k compare to other NZ wages?

We will almost certainly end up in the Auckland area as that is where most of the postings will be, all though I would rather have somewhere on the South Island.

So the question is really to people all ready out there. Will 56k be enough to support a family of 4?

We are not moving for financial reasons. All though the move would allow us to pay off loans etc in the UK and make a fresh start. However being financially secure is an important part of anyone's quality of life.

Hi
As a Nzer who has lived and worked in Auckland,
I think it will be very tight for you to support your family on that wage in Auckland..it would probably be managable if your wife worked too...its because the cost of living is high in Auckland..mainly the rents or house prices and the costs of transportation..you could manage on this in a smaller provincial city but unfortunately the police are most needed in the larger areas.
Shazza

Digital Oct 23rd 2005 5:08 am

It's not a lot of money to be having to live off in the Auckland area.
I can't believe they're recruiting police again, it was only last year that they sent a poor policeman back home after he had come to take up a post that they then decided they couldn't fund!
Ouch!!

Where id you here that story would be interesting to find out a bit more about that. Another concern is the visa they are offering. A 30 month sponsored visa.

They are recruiting up to 100. Over 3000 uk officers applied!

Jeeper Oct 23rd 2005 5:24 am

When I left NZ a few years ago as a single guy in late 20's I was earning that amount and still got further and further into debt. I couldn't imagine trying to support a missus and 4 rugrats as well!

That wage sounds about right though for the police...I know nzers get gov support for families - but not sure if you'd be eligible for that unless you were permanent resident.

sky Oct 23rd 2005 6:00 am

Ouch!!

Where id you here that story would be interesting to find out a bit more about that. Another concern is the visa they are offering. A 30 month sponsored visa.

They are recruiting up to 100. Over 3000 uk officers applied!

It was all over the main news for a couple of days, don't remember exactly when but I've only been here 20 months. I thought it was ridiculous then how they treated him and even more ridiculous now if they are recruiting again!
Maybe they themselves could tell you why it happened, you should ask!

Buzzy--Bee Oct 23rd 2005 7:09 am

One other thing you need to bear in mind is that there is no overtime paid in NZ police. You either do the overtime for the love of the job or you may if you are lucky get time off in lieu. A recent article on www.stuff.co.nz stated that Christchurch police were owed on average a month in overtime.

uk+kiwi Oct 23rd 2005 9:40 am

Only you can decide and know what your outgoings will be. Some internet seraching here and on google will provide you with a monthly budget incporating rental prices etc. Plenty of people in Akl do manage on that salary so it shouldn't be impossible, but a lot will depend on your current lifestyle and expectaions following the move.

Jan (Bookemjano) moved out recently and is working to a 4k month/budget, in the Christchurch area for a family of four. This is what the NZIS website recommends. Auckland does also have cheaper areas, personally wouldn't live there but then depends where you live now.

And also how much you want to go for the experience.

Good luck. :)

Digital Oct 23rd 2005 2:10 pm

Thanks Sky i have tried to find the story on Google to no avail. I'll need to find out more but if it as you say then I would imagine a lot of people will start to get serious doubts. Certainly questions will need to be asked!!

I have applied for Western Oz police as well. They are offering permanent residence from the day you arrive, they pay overtime, 6 weeks holiday and a fair wage. They are just some of the benefits! Not to sure about the wildlife trying to kill you at every step though.

Like I said it's not about the money. As it is I will be taking a £10k pay drop when you take into account no overtime etc. I am happy to do that but I don't want to be scrimping and saving on a week to week basis. A little disposable income to fund trips home and enable us to see the rest of NZ would be a necessity.

scottish Oct 23rd 2005 2:28 pm

Digital go to OZ mate. More money, more hols to enjoy the lifestyle and better weather.

Alot of folk say its not about the money we want the lifestyle but you need money to survive the lifestyle comes after surviving.

Digital Oct 23rd 2005 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by scottish
Digital go to OZ mate. More money, more hols to enjoy the lifestyle and better weather.

Alot of folk say its not about the money we want the lifestyle but you need money to survive the lifestyle comes after surviving.

It all depends what I get offered. Could still get turned down for both. At the moment OZ has it I have to say, the permanent residency sells it alone. It's fast track as well. Get a decision with in a week of putting your papers in!!

sky Oct 23rd 2005 6:48 pm

Surely some of the other forum members who are here in NZ must remember it happening ... anyone??? You should ask the police themselves if they remember it.

From what you're saying Oz sounds a lot more attractive as a job offer.

CWEMM02 Oct 23rd 2005 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by uk+

Jan (Bookemjano) moved out recently and is working to a 4k month/budget, in the Christchurch area for a family of four. This is what the NZIS website recommends.
Good luck. :)

I haven't seen the $4,000 per month recommendation. Can you tell me where on the NZIS site I can see that information?

Michael

Joshlin Oct 23rd 2005 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
I haven't seen the $4,000 per month recommendation. Can you tell me where on the NZIS site I can see that information?

Michael

Hi Michael
I'm not sure where on the site it is but one of the booklets that comes with the ITA pack (big A4 book) recommends you need a budget of $1000 per week and advises that it can take up to 6 months for migrants to get work. Think the book was pretty up to date but housing costs are rising dramatically and that figure may not have fully incorporated current costs.
Vicki

uk+kiwi Oct 23rd 2005 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by CWEMM02

Michael

Hi - It was mentioned by Jan on one of her recent posts having arrived in NZ. Her username is Bookemjano if you want to ask her. Sorry I can't be of more help. Carmen. :)