British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Will this be enough? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/will-enough-435754/)

james_vrfc Mar 19th 2007 4:16 pm

Will this be enough?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading your post's for about a monthy now an its been really useful and interesting to hear all of your thoughts and opinions.

I have recently had an interview for a position in Wellington and have just been made an offer. After reading some previous threads i am not sure that it would be enough, any help?

The wage is $45000 and they are going to give me $8000 relocation cost's, they have also offered a company car, fuel and all maintenance. They said that they will find an apartment for me temporarily within the city and pay the first 4 weeks rent and bonds, which i then have the option of keeping after that period.

i enjoy a busy social life and go out most weekends as im in my early 20's.

The job sounds brilliant and just what im looking for, however its a lot less than what i get in the UK.

Can anyone help an give any advice on this salary?

Cheers in advance

James

Maz Mar 19th 2007 4:22 pm

Re: Will this be enough?

Hi James and welcome to the site. :thumbup: Quite honestly, it depends what type of job it is. Personally I wouldn't take that low of a salary, but then I've got 8 years' experience in IT. That's brilliant about help with your relocation costs though, wow! Do you own your own house? Have much furniture? When I left the UK at 24, I didn't own a house and all my furniture was crappy, so I fitted my entire life in to two very large suitcases. The $8,000 they're paying you would pay for your entire emigration if you're in the same boat I was in.

Have you submitted your EOI yet? You'll be automatically selected if you have a skill and job offer in one of the skills shortages areas. Next draw from the pool is the middle of next week.

james_vrfc Mar 19th 2007 4:43 pm

Hi Maz,

I have got 3 years experience in construction as an engineer.

Dont own my own place, so it would just be a case of selling my car, i to would just be coming over with a few large suitcases.

I havn't submitted anything yet for visas, still not sure what i will do, i was hoping that this would enlighten me a little more.

Maz Mar 19th 2007 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by james_vrfc (Post 4534613)
Hi Maz,

Dont own my own place, so it would just be a case of selling my car, i to would just be coming over with a few large suitcases.

I havn't submitted anything yet for visas, still not sure what i will do, i was hoping that this would enlighten me a little more.

Well you definitely have a great advantage that you wouldn't have to sell a house and be in a chain for that. :thumbup: I'm sorry I don't know much about engineering salaries... I'm sure someone will. Patience grasshopper. ;)

Go to the NZ immigration site to get an idea of what hoops you'd have to jump through to get there. Not quite as simple as selling your car and going, I'm afraid. Might be worthwhile at least submitting your EOI (Expression Of Interest). I've submitted ours and we've not even visited yet. Have you visited? Are you considering it first?

james_vrfc Mar 19th 2007 5:41 pm

Not visited and to be honest i dont think i will.

Is this just stupid? are you planning on visiting before.

Just had a look on the link, cant believe how much it is to apply :ohmy:

Good luck with yours anyway

Maz Mar 19th 2007 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by james_vrfc (Post 4534802)

No it's not stupid, it all depends on your personal circumstances. :) There are quite a few here who have emigrated to NZ without a recce trip first. In less than 2 weeks' time we're going to be off to the North Island for 3 weeks. Yes it'll cost a ton, but we figure we, as a family of 3, need to be completely sure before selling our house in the US.

If you think submitting the EOI is expensive, just wait until you get to the medicals. ;) Or so I've heard. ;)

They should be waking up in NZ around now, so am sure someone else will chime in soon enough.

phil01 Mar 19th 2007 7:14 pm

Hi,
we never visited just came over lock stock and barrel and have no regrets. As for the pay, it's a foot in the door, you will soon realise when you are over here if it's on par with other companies...apart from that it may be a starting salary and when you have been here a while and they know you can do the job you can always negotiate more.
Deb

Mandie Mar 19th 2007 7:15 pm

Is this just stupid?

Hi and welcome to the site...ok, here's my opinion....

1 - No i don't think you're stupid for not visiting first. You're young and obviously i don't know you but i assume you've only got yourself to think about and therefore you've got nothing to lose.

2 - Why not go down the 'work to residency' visa route, now you've got a job it may be quicker

3 - Wow they're gonna pay for relocation costs as well as the first months rent

Ok if i were you at your age with no ties i would go for it, yeah the money's not great to what you're used to in the uk but would you need as much, you've got nothing to lose...i'd say go for it, you may regret it if you don't...hey you may not like it, but at least you've given it a go.

good luck in what ever you decide to do:thumbsup:

lapsed kiwi Mar 20th 2007 4:43 am

Originally Posted by james_vrfc (Post 4534613)
Hi Maz,

What level of engineer are you? Chartered? Graduate? Technician? $45k is a reasonable starting salary for a graduate engineer, but way below par for a CEng. But, if you're single and could share a house, it would be enough to live off and have some fun in NZ.

Boopy Mar 20th 2007 9:31 am

Welcome newbie,
I agree with Deb, it's a foot in the door.
Wellington is a great place to move to, good night life, very friendly people fun. We love it here. It would be an idea to flat share, lots of people do this and it's always advertised, as well as word of mouth once here.
You could then look for a better paid job, once you hae some employment experience in NZ, then look for your own place.
Good luck.:thumbup:

james_vrfc Mar 20th 2007 6:48 pm

Thanks all for all your comments, very helpful.

I finished studying my HNC, higher national diploma last year and haven't begun to look towards further studies yet.

The thing is i feel i have just about got myself to a salary whereby i can go out and enjoy myself and not really have to keep checking my money before i do.

Myself and my partner have always looked at coming out together however a few personal family related issues have come up for her and it may not be the ideal time for just yet, however this is not to stop her coming out at a later date. I just dont want to find myself struggling and not enjoy what is to be a fantastic opportunity.

I understand what you have have said about changing jobs once i have settled and taken a look at the market, however under the Requirements your job offer must meet on the immigration website it says the offer must be a term of at least two years. Does this mean i have to stay with them for two years, if not how difficult is it to change the visa over to another company. Or am i just confused:confused:

James

Boopy Mar 20th 2007 7:52 pm

I think there are diferent visa's, I think there a working holiday visa. Not too sure but that may be for 2 yrs, and you can take up as many different jobs as you want. It designed for travellers. Have a look on the NZIS, I'm sure you'll find something to suit. While you're young it's a great opportunity to work here, if you don't settle, you can always go back. With no regrets, cos you'll of tried it.