Will

Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will

Is a UK Will honoured in NZ or should I cancel my existing Will here and write a new one when I arrive?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:54 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Is a UK Will honoured in NZ or should I cancel my existing Will here and write a new one when I arrive?
Your UK Will will apply to any capital or chattels you hold solely in the UK (such as a house or a current account). So will need to be updated if this will be the case. Otherwise, unless you have had it registered separately at that place in London that all solicitors can access (cant recall the correct name) then it will just become obsolete the moment you remove your possessions from the UK.

You will need to have a new Will drawn up in NZ for your NZ capital and chattels.

As I understand it....
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Your UK Will will apply to any capital or chattels you hold solely in the UK (such as a house or a current account). So will need to be updated if this will be the case. Otherwise, unless you have had it registered separately at that place in London that all solicitors can access (cant recall the correct name) then it will just become obsolete the moment you remove your possessions from the UK.

You will need to have a new Will drawn up in NZ for your NZ capital and chattels.

As I understand it....
Is a will written yourself, once resident in NZ, valid with 2 witnesses?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:00 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Our solicitor is drawing up a new will for us, for free! This is after we used her for our house closing, which is tomorrow. She said if you die intestate in NZ it's a right legal mess...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:37 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, I spoke to our solicitor about this as we need to sort an NZ will. They said that if a solicitor is doing a house/ section purchase, then ask for a will at the same time and they'll usually chuck it in for free.

Otherwise it's around $140 for a straightforward one covering husband/ wife or similar.

So, when buying make sure you ask - don't ask, don't get!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Our solicitor told us the same, done for free cos house purchase done by them.
They have just taken our UK wills and going to alter the format to NZ standard. THe content will be the same at the UK version which is held by our solicitor there.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:43 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Go through Public Trust. They offer a free service providing you make them your Executor. Don't need to stick with them, but they can provide some quite valuable advice.

Disclaimer: I used to work for them many moons ago and the people I worked with would probably throttle me for suggesting i tell people to go there for free advice.

In case anyone was wondering, their Wills are in plain english and they won international awards years ago for having Wills which can actually be understood
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:27 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Go through Public Trust. They offer a free service providing you make them your Executor.

I'm not sure that's a good idea though. My understanding is that an executor should be someone you would trust with your life (well actually your asset distribution after you die!), not someone unknown or with a vested interest.

But by the sounds of it they sound like a good company to consider using and/or obtaining advice.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:12 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point - it really depends on who you are comfortable with. It is perfectly possible to ask for an advisory trustee however.

Public Trust in particular is the oldest trustee company in NZ and it was set up, originally because of the high number of migrants who didn’t either the legal skills or someone they knew who they could do it. Not to mention the fact that they, like the other biggie trustees wind things up so quickly that they know what to do any can do it quickly. Also they can get a certificate of administration before probate. Or something like that. I can’t recall anymore. So, even if ya don't want them (or any company) to eventually be Executor and Trustee there is no harm in getting their knowledge. Hehe perhaps i am just a bit sneaky