Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wife's work aspirations

Wife's work aspirations

Old Sep 9th 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Default Wife's work aspirations

Hi everyone,

I am soon about to send in my ITA as the main applicant. I have a job to go to in Auckland and my wife will soon start looking at job opporunities.

We have no kids and my wife will be 40 when we arrive next year.(edit.. She has just seen this post and blew her top at mentioning her age but it might be relevant?)

My wife is currently an Executive P.A and would like to get work in a similar field. She understands she has no NZ experience but otherwise she has a very comprehensive CV.

We are likely to live around the Gulf Harbour/Albany area.

My question is: Should she lower her expectations and aim for a lower level administration job until she builds up her NZ C.V or still apply for her current level.

She has searched the Seeks employment website and there are plenty of jobs advertised.

Has anyone got any administration experiences in a similar field.

As always thanks in advance for your help... Still in the maze of research but so far going well.

Cheers

DA

Last edited by dash1965; Sep 9th 2006 at 7:52 am.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Wife's work aspirations

Tell your wife:

1. She’s getting on

2. Go for it!

Good luck!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wife's work aspirations

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Tell your wife:

1. She’s getting on

2. Go for it!

Good luck!
Oh! Niceguy,

My wife isn't too impressed with your comment!!

And she is very much looking forward to starting a new life, even if it means starting lower down the career ladder, as our choice to move is partly lifestyle as opposed to career moves.

I'm sure she'll take the comment in the way it's intended but I don't suppose she'll invite you to any arrival get togethers if your in Auckland!!

Cheers

DA
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Gorgeous lady!

Gulp!

Did not mean to unduly upset your good lady, please send my humbling and grovelling apologies to the youthful, sprightly, gorgeous, sexy bird herself!

Why go down a level when you can stay the same?

Especially if you find that the workload may be, perhaps, less stressful?

Last sentence is not meant in any way devalue at all the valuable work that all PA’s do in Albany/North Shore City/Auckland/New Zealand/Southern Hemisphere etc etc.

Ever felt that you really want to stop digging?

Can I come to your party now?? Please, pretty please, with sugar on top??
Old Sep 9th 2006, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Gorgeous lady!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Gulp!

Did not mean to unduly upset your good lady, please send my humbling and grovelling apologies to the youthful, sprightly, gorgeous, sexy bird herself!

Why go down a level when you can stay the same?

Especially if you find that the workload may be, perhaps, less stressful?

Last sentence is not meant in any way devalue at all the valuable work that all PA’s do in Albany/North Shore City/Auckland/New Zealand/Southern Hemisphere etc etc.

Ever felt that you really want to stop digging?

Can I come to your party now?? Please, pretty please, with sugar on top??
She say's NO - not enough grovelling...

But to be fair it's my fault for putting her age on in the first place. I thought it might be relevant in case there are any ageism related issues for migrants.

It's worse as she is still 39 for the next 6 months anyway and you know how these things can play on the mind (well if you're her age anyway )

But good to see some honest sarcasm and humour is alive and well. Coming from Manchester, I was believing the world had gone PC mad and I'd heard NZ hadn't got too bad yet.

And if we sort out drinks on our arrival, of course you will be welcome. In fact it would be nice to meet anyone on our arrival, although I do already have some mates in Auckland.

Cheers

DA
Old Sep 9th 2006, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dash1965
She say's NO - not enough grovelling...

But to be fair it's my fault for putting her age on in the first place. I thought it might be relevant in case there are any ageism related issues for migrants.

It's worse as she is still 39 for the next 6 months anyway and you know how these things can play on the mind (well if you're her age anyway )

But good to see some honest sarcasm and humour is alive and well. Coming from Manchester, I was believing the world had gone PC mad and I'd heard NZ hadn't got too bad yet.

And if we sort out drinks on our arrival, of course you will be welcome. In fact it would be nice to meet anyone on our arrival, although I do already have some mates in Auckland.

Cheers

DA
No worries,39 is bugger all. I know people who are 40,43 and even 55. By averages,she aint even half way there!! Imagine your last 39 years,and think of all you've done,then think of doing it again backwards!! Ages!! I'm nearly shagging a 39 year old and it's boss!!!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by danny.f
I'm nearly shagging a 39 year old and it's boss!!!
Does that mean you haven't quite made it yet?
Old Sep 10th 2006, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danny.f
No worries,39 is bugger all. I know people who are 40,43 and even 55. By averages,she aint even half way there!! Imagine your last 39 years,and think of all you've done,then think of doing it again backwards!! Ages!! I'm nearly shagging a 39 year old and it's boss!!!
All the banter is great guys,

However, I really would like an idea of administration jobs in Auckland and in particular PA work if anyone has experiences, etc...

All this focus on my missus is getting me more grief and so I might have to go to NZ on my own :scared:

At the moment her 40 birthday present list is getting bigger and more expensive

Nice to see humour alive and well though.. but help about the post's question would be great!!

By the way Danny, I've noticed your posts over the last couple of months, hows your application going? or are you nearly there yet?

Cheers

DA
Old Sep 10th 2006, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Hi Dash

I was in a similar position as your wife as it was my wife who had the entry criteria and I had none. I was also a LOT older than your wife but I managed to get a decent admin job in Auckland quite easily just using my experince. It turned out that I managed to get a quite well paid job using an agency. I used Hays recruitment in Auckland and they were great.

Not sure if that helps at all.

However, I really would like an idea of administration jobs in Auckland and in particular PA work if anyone has experiences, etc...

All this focus on my missus is getting me more grief and so I might have to go to NZ on my own :scared:

Nice to see humour alive and well though.. but help about the post's question would be great!!

By the way Danny, I've noticed your posts over the last couple of months, hows your application going? or are you nearly there yet?

Cheers

DA
Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

I would say go for the same sort of job that she is doing/was doing in the uk, just make sure you get get good references in writing and also make sure that they have a contact email(who WILL reply) in case they do want to check up...I had such a nightmare with references when I got out here, people didnt answer emails and companies that I worked for gave crappy general references which only confirmed that I actually worked for them and that was about bloody all when companies out here seemed to want a more personal reference such as honesty, integrity and stuff like that

I worked for a travel agent for 8 years in the UK and the only reference that I got from them was that I worked between this date and that date and that I was a Consultant..it didnt even f*****g say I was a travel consultant, how bloody crap was that

hope this helps

dawn
Old Sep 10th 2006, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kwprwn
I would say go for the same sort of job that she is doing/was doing in the uk, just make sure you get get good references in writing and also make sure that they have a contact email(who WILL reply) in case they do want to check up...I had such a nightmare with references when I got out here, people didnt answer emails and companies that I worked for gave crappy general references which only confirmed that I actually worked for them and that was about bloody all when companies out here seemed to want a more personal reference such as honesty, integrity and stuff like that

I worked for a travel agent for 8 years in the UK and the only reference that I got from them was that I worked between this date and that date and that I was a Consultant..it didnt even f*****g say I was a travel consultant, how bloody crap was that

hope this helps

dawn
Many thanks Dawn,

We are going over in Jan 07 for a couple of weeks to do a recce. We can look at agencies and stuff then. Good point about references as many companies only give general ones nowadays as the law is tightening up in case anything is said that could land the company in court.

Hope you've settled well in NZ, we're looking forward to next year, with all the optimism and fears as most people.

Thanks once again.

Dave
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:55 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Dawn,

We are going over in Jan 07 for a couple of weeks to do a recce. We can look at agencies and stuff then. Good point about references as many companies only give general ones nowadays as the law is tightening up in case anything is said that could land the company in court.

Hope you've settled well in NZ, we're looking forward to next year, with all the optimism and fears as most people.

Thanks once again.

Dave
Hi Dave

I was 44 when we got here (we're in Auckland) I applied for a job which was more administration than PA work (which was what I'd been doing in Dublin). I was earning $45k at that time and I've since changed jobs and earn more now - this is in the CBD; Albany has lots of jobs but the money can be less. EAs can earn up to $60-70k which is what I'll go for next - your wife will know that to be a good EA you do really need local knowledge and you can only build that up over time.

If she wants to contact me, no problem. Good luck.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Batty
Hi Dave

I was 44 when we got here (we're in Auckland) I applied for a job which was more administration than PA work (which was what I'd been doing in Dublin). I was earning $45k at that time and I've since changed jobs and earn more now - this is in the CBD; Albany has lots of jobs but the money can be less. EAs can earn up to $60-70k which is what I'll go for next - your wife will know that to be a good EA you do really need local knowledge and you can only build that up over time.

If she wants to contact me, no problem. Good luck.
Many thanks for the reply.

Superb perspective and spot on with the sort of advice my wife is looking for. She agrees that as an EA she would need to know more about the culture, lifetstyle and details that would be expected so thats given her the ideas that she should probably aim at he PA level and get some NZ time.

Many thanks once again

Dave
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:57 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

DA
Mate tell your wife

she will look 20 compared to some locals who are sun bleached and looking in their 50's when only 30.

Dont drop your expectations a good PA is always in demand, it may just take a few short term contracts to get noticed.

Kiwi
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

DA
Hi DA,
we've had a set back with some paperwork (the Uni where we both got our qualifications have messed us around and caused the delay) which means we can't register as nurses until the paperwork is sorted. To be on the safe side we've delayed everything so plan to go in Jsanuary instead of November - thanks for asking.
Good luck to your OH - if she can get a job on the same level as she is currently working she should defibitely go for it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.