Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why would anyone use an estate agent....

Why would anyone use an estate agent....

Old Dec 17th 2016, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why would anyone use an estate agent....

Originally Posted by Justcol
I guess it depends on where you are and which agent you use.

When I sold my place in may I considered selling privately. My friend had just done it and he got what he thought was a very good price for his house, which was newer and bigger, and on a much bigger section than mine.I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted for my place, I'd followed prices in town on similar houses and was thought I was pretty up to speed with the way prices were going. In the end I decided I didn't have the time to spend doing it myself.

Long story short

The agent already had contacts around the country of people who were looking to buy and villa in the town. It was listed for 5 days only with a best and final offers deadline.
even after her fee's were taken out, I was still over 80k up on what I would have settled for.
It was the 3rd time I had used the same agent and company and would have no issues using them again.
Good point of view
Old Dec 17th 2016, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
The pit falls of selling privately and then the new owner finds problems you have not disclosed even if you are unaware, example boundaries, the cost to you could bankrupt you. Least with an agent the Company and or agent take the hit, especially with the new laws in place

But aren't you liable regardless

Your protection is only if you did not know yourself.

Not parting the information to your agent is not a defense.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

well no the agent is supposed to check all these things out and disclose, ignorance is not a defence.
Different if the seller deliberately withheld information such as changing things that are compliant to not being compliant. ie adding a extension and changing the user as that that complied with.

But if you are selling yourself you are the responsible for declaring everything and would have to do all the research to make sure you cover everything. A bit like the fence issue, if a buyer find out, say by a neighbour, that their fence is on council land and could be taken down at any time with you possibly having to pay the seller potentially would be liable for costs. It won't actually be their fault as the house was actually built like that but if not disclosed buyers can sue.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Dec 18th 2016 at 12:47 am.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
well no the agent is supposed to check all these things out and disclose, ignorance is not a defence.
I appreciate that you are a real estate agent but still don't think this is quite correct; the law requires that you as the agent must have reasonable grounds at the time for making certain claims or assertions about the property you are marketing, not that you find out everything there possibly is to know about the property.

i.e. If you tell a buyer 'this house is definitely not leaky' then you are obliged to have evidence to support that, or if you knew a previous sale had fallen through because of unconsented work then you are obliged to disclose that too but you don't actually have to find out if all work is consented or if all houses are not leaky; you rely on the vendor telling you this and if they don't tell you and it's later found out that they have lied then they are liable.

If the vendor tells you it is leaky or has unconsented works and you then subsequently lie about that to get the sale, then definitely you are liable for making a false representation.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 3:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SSky
My hubby is very ill and I think we'll be selling soon .
Whatever it is I do hope his health improves SSky .
Old Dec 18th 2016, 5:11 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an estate agent, I just got my licence and then voluntary suspended it, after a month as I became so ill.

If an agent is not prepared to go above and beyond is not worth working with.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I am a new real estate agent & previously a registered nurse. I treat my clients with respect, openness, honesty & transparency, in the same way that I looked after my patients. I disclose any info that comes to my attention. Please don't tar a whole profession on a few bad experiences. We are all individuals, with individual personalities, traits & skills.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
I am a new real estate agent & previously a registered nurse. I treat my clients with respect, openness, honesty & transparency, in the same way that I looked after my patients. I disclose any info that comes to my attention. Please don't tar a whole profession on a few bad experiences. We are all individuals, with individual personalities, traits & skills.
I did say I am sure there are exceptions in my original post, I am afraid however, thus far, in my 58 years of life I have not met one realtor who impressed me in any way whatsoever.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I did say I am sure there are exceptions in my original post, I am afraid however, thus far, in my 58 years of life I have not met one realtor who impressed me in any way whatsoever.
I've not used one for selling in NZ but when buying I have not been impressed by NZ agents!
Old Dec 19th 2016, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I've not used one for selling in NZ but when buying I have not been impressed by NZ agents!
they all have very extreme developmental areas where I live.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 8:23 am

When we bought our first house here the agent was brilliant and we had a great experience with him. When we sold he had moved on so went with another who seemed ok at first but then was a nightmare and if I had done my course at that time I would of known that I could of reported him for some of the conduct.
The agent we bought from was in the same vein as our first agent and was absolutely great and went above and beyond and if it was not for him and his wife we would not of been able to move, they took our 5ft salt water fish tank, maintained it for 2 weeks as we were unable to move into new house at the same time as moving out of ours. They even helped us move it, restock, empty again, and move it again. I also know he has helped pack up peoples houses for no extra cost. He truly is a great guy and I would highly recommend him to everyone.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

benutzer is an unknown quantity at this point

One reason would be Auckland having greedy property owners including tenants subletting them. The worst I've met (I hereby just refer to him as D.F.) was a health and safety inspector from Sheffield City Council who was working for Auckland City Council for the same position. He was subletting a house in East Auckland and would only keep quiet women in the property who would subdue to his orders. D.F. was also planning to avoid taxation by living in New Zealand and UK at separate invervals.

A new zealand owner (hereby referred to as S.G.) in the same area was renting her property for an indefinite term and would kick out her tenanant at her convenience without resorting to a tribunal. S.G. would also complain about her neighbour who just had his radio turned on in the evening to listen to prayers.

To make the matters worse, The Human Rights Commission in Auckland is very unwilling to help discriminated people. When an overseas student who was mistreated by local landlords called The Human Rights Commission, their staff just told him about stastics showing not much discrimination and forced the call to end without listening to his mistreatments. That's how a lot of immigrants are treated in Auckland and you just cannot rely trust locals to treat your fairly in letting issues.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benutzer
One reason would be Auckland having greedy property owners including tenants subletting them. The worst I've met (I hereby just refer to him as D.F.) was a health and safety inspector from Sheffield City Council who was working for Auckland City Council for the same position. He was subletting a house in East Auckland and would only keep quiet women in the property who would subdue to his orders. D.F. was also planning to avoid taxation by living in New Zealand and UK at separate invervals.

A new zealand owner (hereby referred to as S.G.) in the same area was renting her property for an indefinite term and would kick out her tenanant at her convenience without resorting to a tribunal. S.G. would also complain about her neighbour who just had his radio turned on in the evening to listen to prayers.

To make the matters worse, The Human Rights Commission in Auckland is very unwilling to help discriminated people. When an overseas student who was mistreated by local landlords called The Human Rights Commission, their staff just told him about stastics showing not much discrimination and forced the call to end without listening to his mistreatments. That's how a lot of immigrants are treated in Auckland and you just cannot rely trust locals to treat your fairly in letting issues.
But NZ is always paraded as such a 'fair and kind country (and uncorrupt)'. It is NOT!!!! Full of crap from agencies and bodies that are supposed to help others....but they do not. Been there, done that.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by benutzer

and this obviously doesn't go on with Citizens or indeed in other Countries ??
no factual evidence to support such claims
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood why the fees are as a % of total sale value. In many towns and cities any idiot could get a 1.something-or-other multiple of the council valuation. However what a vendor is actually paying for is getting extra value by hiring a professional.

So for example if an agent was paid 3% and someone makes an offer at $500k they'll likely push the vendor to take the offer and collect $15k. Even if they could edge the offer up to $505k with an hours work it's only $150 for them, are they going to bother? Probably not.

In most sales positions there's a tiered system based on volume and margin to avoid this issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.