Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why are Wellingtonians so fussy?

Why are Wellingtonians so fussy?

Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default Why are Wellingtonians so fussy?

Why are Wellingtonians such closed minded people still living in the 18th century?

While working on contract at MoH, I received a warning for working one hour extra (at no extra cost) to compensate for time lost in an official meeting.

Also, I was warned for using restroom on a different office floor while the one nearby was being serviced/cleaned.

These govt. ministry offices are the worst places to work in.

They even have locks on their refrigerator because they suspect that their milk is being stolen - crazy

I have heard that Christchurch is even worse than Wellington...

So, the only place I have enjoyed working is north shore - Auckland - young Aussie Boss - million times better than old fashioned Kiwi.

Auckland also consists of highest number of Kiwis who have worked overseas whereas most Wellingtonians are like Frogs in a Well.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:55 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Wellingtonians so fussy?

Trolling again msi?

If you have grievances over where you work then maybe a little more information about that rather than some over the top generalisations would be more appropriate, don't you think?

What form did the warnings take? Could you have misread what was being said? Could they have been winding you up? Was it time to go home and they didn't want to wait around for you to finish? How does your attitude affect others attitudes to you?

If you have a genuine grievance then let's hear it! You may get some more useful answers!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:58 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you will remember to use the men's next time.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:00 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek
most Wellingtonians are like Frogs in a Well.

Although I wouldn't know for sure, as I've never worked there.

Also, glad you're enjoying working for an Aussie boss, 'cause we all know how popular Aussie's are with kiwis !
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:12 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are Wellingtonians such closed minded people still living in the 18th century?

While working on contract at MoH, I received a warning for working one hour extra (at no extra cost) to compensate for time lost in an official meeting.

Also, I was warned for using restroom on a different office floor while the one nearby was being serviced/cleaned.

These govt. ministry offices are the worst places to work in.

They even have locks on their refrigerator because they suspect that their milk is being stolen - crazy

So, the only place I have enjoyed working is north shore - Auckland - young Aussie Boss - million times better than old fashioned Kiwi.

Auckland also consists of highest number of Kiwis who have worked overseas whereas most Wellingtonians are like Frogs in a Well.
Funny that? My hubby works for a company in Wanganui! Yes Wanganui , lovely boss who's a kiwi, most have worked overseas!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting take MSI, I have heard people in Auckland say that they prefer not to employ Wellingtonians because they have too much of a bureucratic culture. But that's likely because there's so many that work in the public sector, anyone in the commercial world doesn't really want to employ public sector slackers.

Similarly the comment about working extra time is definitely public sector mentality, you'll be making the rest of the department look bad if you're working after hours. Surprised you've not had the PSA rep on your case for not having had your ten minute tea break in the morning and afternoon.

It's the same in my office but actually the much sadder thing about this is the lock was put there in all likelihood because peoples lunches etc were being stolen. I have never known anything like it and you can't turn your back on food in our place for five minutes before some gannet assumes it is theirs. Really, do adult people have to write their name on their lunch in case they should get it confused with someone else's stuff?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

All I have to say is that the Flight of the Conchords were seen as "too Wellington", or something to that effect by the NZ TV companies.

Look where they are (as a duo and as artists/actors) now ...
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It's the same in my office but actually the much sadder thing about this is the lock was put there in all likelihood because peoples lunches

This problem certainly isn't limited to NZ.

What makes me laugh is the people that wore their name on their food, as if it's a deterrent

A tip;

I eat a lot of fish at work, which obviously is kept in the fridge. For some reason no one ever steals fish.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Trolling again msi?

If you have grievances over where you work then maybe a little more information about that rather than some over the top generalisations would be more appropriate, don't you think?

What form did the warnings take? Could you have misread what was being said? Could they have been winding you up? Was it time to go home and they didn't want to wait around for you to finish? How does your attitude affect others attitudes to you?

If you have a genuine grievance then let's hear it! You may get some more useful answers!
I would love to hear the other side of this story.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd wish my husbands company was more like "no it's the end of the working day, do please go home to your family"
Old Apr 6th 2013, 9:04 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'd wish my husbands company was more like "no it's the end of the working day, do please go home to your family"
My husbands company does, I guess he's lucky
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:25 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Home to the family on time to help set the table or nip into the local for a drink and arrive home late blaming it on work but just in time for dinner?

Don't worry though as part of this implicit arrangement between men and women we promise never to question the charges on the joint household expenses account.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:42 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I shall not hear anything bad said about Christchurch, it leads the world in Hi-Viz clothing and steel capped boots on a per capita basis at the moment.

When I come to power a positive outlook will be obligatory if you don't want to visit the compulsory "one eyed kiwi" re-education gulag .