Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:46 am
livewire

Default Re: Why we won't be emigrating to New Zealand

nope, kiwi dollars Mumu.

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:57 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by hubbard
Not true at all we came and lived in NZ for 3 years and left. Absolutely nothing to do with money just thought there were hugely more interesting and vibarnt places to live in the world. We found NZ abit of a nonentity, ok in a retirement sort of way but not very inspiring culturally, scenically, or business wise. My lasting thoughts really were 'don't believe the hype.'.

100% agreed. karma

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:59 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by jonesey
So dont get me wrong here, so why are you in Christchurch if all of your national icons seem to give you a bad taste in the mouth, UK national icons leave a bad taste in my mouth, National Uk icon Graffiti on most architectural buildings around us that have history, but not to the scroats that desecrate them for kicks or hey lets look cool......hoody culture of the UK we seem to be drifting into or the Happy Slap phase of lets kick in a down and out and record it on my mobile for a laugh.....that was my generalisation of UK coming under fire from a very different generation of the 21st century being left behind. NZ was happy and still is to be part of the commonwealth and its diverse culture so why not come over and be part of it . I'm sure we have enough to make you proud of as you think NZ is culture bar-en of your own national icons.
im leaving nz in april

national icons are things the country picks for itself to define itself - look at the tourist tat.....
i think you are confusing icons with

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

tt, you are back!

Welcome home!

Don't really want to hijack this thread, but how about another regarding your exploits in the UK?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:43 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by livewire
nope, kiwi dollars Mumu.
Oh sorry, no offence meant - just thought you did.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:45 pm
livewire

No worries Mumu , none taken .

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:09 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I agree with the sentiment here, but I believe it is exactly the same in NZ. In fact I think it's worse isn't it?

It is considered quite normal in the UK for only one person in a family to work and thus support the whole family, wherease I am led to believe that in NZ it is considered more normal for both parents to work (obviously out of financial necessity since wages are lower and cost of living only marginally so). Did you not find this when you were in NZ?

Certainly I have many (female) friends in the UK that don't work, whereas all our female friends in NZ work (one is the sole breadwinner in fact!)

Australia would definitely be a better move from this point of view with the comparatively (to NZ) higher wages and lower costs of living.
Yes you're right, all my kiwi female friends work here, and they work damn hard too!
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

None of the kiwi mothers Ive met through Playgroup and around Beachlands work.... they are all stay at home mums.... theyre all got used to me moaning now that I havnt got a job, but at first they looked at me in disbelief and said "but you have a job"..... hmmmmmm I need some space from "Mr-two- year-old-into-everything-pulling-everything-apart-tipping-drink- everywhere-crying-all-the-time-Pain" even if they dont.... he drives me nuts by the end of the week!!

None of my expat friends work either....they all stay at home with the kids.

Oh, I know one lady that works!!! Shes french and works full time....so I lie!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SarahB
None of the kiwi mothers Ive met through Playgroup and around Beachlands work.... they are all stay at home mums.... theyre all got used to me moaning now that I havnt got a job, but at first they looked at me in disbelief and said "but you have a job"..... hmmmmmm I need some space from "Mr-two- year-old-into-everything-pulling-everything-apart-tipping-drink- everywhere-crying-all-the-time-Pain" even if they dont.... he drives me nuts by the end of the week!!

None of my expat friends work either....they all stay at home with the kids.

Oh, I know one lady that works!!! Shes french and works full time....so I lie!
It is considered quite normal in the UK for only one person in a family to work and thus support the whole family, wherease I am led to believe that in NZ it is considered more normal for both parents to work (obviously out of financial necessity since wages are lower and cost of living only marginally so). Did you not find this when you were in NZ?

I live in Hawkes Bay and am a 'stay at home mum' to three boys. I have a big circle of friends, kiwi and poms, and I can't think of any who work while still having preschoolers. I haven't got one friend back in the UK who is staying at home with their babies, they ALL work. I have had no pressure at all to work and whenever I've talked about it, or mentioned college, other Mums ask why!! Certainly around here you are respected when home with your kids.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Albion is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DaisyNZ
I live in Hawkes Bay and am a 'stay at home mum' to three boys. I have a big circle of friends, kiwi and poms, and I can't think of any who work while still having preschoolers. I haven't got one friend back in the UK who is staying at home with their babies, they ALL work. I have had no pressure at all to work and whenever I've talked about it, or mentioned college, other Mums ask why!! Certainly around here you are respected when home with your kids.
Thats certainly been my experience too. I don't have kids myself yet but all my friends here in Auckland bar one (who is a single mum) stay at home with their kids. Its almost considered strange if you go back to work. By comparison all my friends in the UK have gone back to work very quickly (within a few months) of having their babies. Financially they all have to go back to work it seems....strange when you consider that there is a lot of moaning on here about wages being too low!!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albion
Thats certainly been my experience too. I don't have kids myself yet but all my friends here in Auckland bar one (who is a single mum) stay at home with their kids. Its almost considered strange if you go back to work. By comparison all my friends in the UK have gone back to work very quickly (within a few months) of having their babies. Financially they all have to go back to work it seems....strange when you consider that there is a lot of moaning on here about wages being too low!!
Well, I didnt think I was "strange" in wanting to work part time. Ive never not worked since I finished school and staying at home full time with a toddler is just not for me. If I manage to get part time work then I will be a better mum and ultimately thats better for me and my DS.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Albion is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SarahB
Well, I didnt think I was "strange" in wanting to work part time. Ive never not worked since I finished school and staying at home full time with a toddler is just not for me. If I manage to get part time work then I will be a better mum and ultimately thats better for me and my DS.

Sorry - didnt mean to imply you were strange - was just pointing out the difference in culture between here and UK!! I will probably work when I have kids to be honest too....