Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why we won't be emigrating to New Zealand

Why we won't be emigrating to New Zealand

Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:43 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why we won't be emigrating to New Zealand

How long have you been away again from NZ??

The kids I know out there are very much into mobiles, clothes etc.

Also what age are you?? Also rap is a very big thing in NZ.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
it is nothing to do with money for me i live very comfortably in NZ. Im an urban kind of person - much as i like the countryside i prefer to visit it rather than live in it.

Living in urban/suburban new zealand is like living in 1970s england. its grey, americanised, scruffy, overpriced (being able to afford something doesnt mean it isnt overpriced) lacking in character, and dominated by the car. the only unique culture is pacific island and only a proportion of the population can claim ownership of that.
But some parts of UK are like urbal/surban New Zealand maybe not americanised but scruffy, overprices now for housing, grey, lacking in character and also dominated by the car as we are now paying for it with Toll, Congestion Charge, and the only unique culture we have left is Wales, Scotland.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottish
How long have you been away again from NZ??

The kids I know out there are very much into mobiles, clothes etc.

Also what age are you?? Also rap is a very big thing in NZ.
Left in Aug 2004 i agree the mobiles are taking off in NZ, but the clothes are nowhere big out there as they are now in UK, they all have got into the Hoody scene over here in UK, brand clothes they are going for in sport retail shops like JJB, Sportsworld, but to name two, Im now 44 and feel now im at the crossroads in my life where i have no chance of getting back on the market for house with house prices through the roof and still rising. We have been renting since we got back to UK and no chance of a council house in Lincoln or Part by-let there is a 2 year waiting list, and so with the prospect of buying a terrace at £99,000 for a two bed or £120,000 for a three bed we are at the bottom rung of the ladder again, which seems the only choice with utilities increasing all the time with Gas in short supply, Council tax increase this would be my only choice if i stay to get back onto the property ladder once again and starting afresh.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 3:55 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by jonesey
But some parts of UK are like urbal/surban New Zealand maybe not americanised but scruffy, overprices now for housing, grey, lacking in character and also dominated by the car as we are now paying for it with Toll, Congestion Charge, and the only unique culture we have left is Wales, Scotland.
I can chose to live outside of those areas in the UK.

The congestion charge and roads tolls are not a sign of dominance of the car because they indicate a willingness to tackle the issue rather than the NZ culture which seems to become more and more car dependant.

When talking about culture i do not mean race - although the UK is a remarkable diverse country in that respect. I mean the arts, architecture and general way of life. NZ seems to have imported all the worst bits of british and american culture. If you cant see that you will probably be happy in NZ but for those that do see it NZ is culturally baren.

Take a look at the national icons that kiwis use to define themselves, jandals, marmite + assorted other mediocrity....

Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

scracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant future

The congestion charge and roads tolls are not a sign of dominance of the car because they indicate a willingness to tackle the issue rather than the NZ culture which seems to become more and more car dependant.
I'd agree on that point. Had a "debate" with a kiwi mate the other day about how crazy it was not to have regular trains from Auckland to Hamilton. "But it's only an hour's drive" was her response. This comment just after she'd arrived late and complained about the traffic being crazy all the way to Bombay.

The car dominance thing is probably because gogo juice is so cheap and the roads are so quiet. As the big [1] cities grow and when petrol is more than $1.80 a litre (a.k.a. next year) kiwi's will start thinking about the car issue.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

If you cant see that you will probably be happy in NZ but for those that do see it NZ is culturally baren.

Take a look at the national icons that kiwis use to define themselves, jandals, marmite + assorted other mediocrity....

I really don't believe you can say that NZ is culturally barren. There are art galleries, Freida Khalo expo in Wellington. Theatre, Ballet and more accessible than for us in the UK. We too have a history, Maori wars, tribal wars and a rich pacific culture if you want to examine it. And what is wrong with Jandels, you have weetabix when everyone knows it should be weetbix.
England is just a much older country with more history although talking to a lot of the kids I work with they have no idea and do not want to know any of their rich history. Unless it involves football and rip of label clothing they don't care. In fact lots of the adults don't care either, go to the national gallery I say, where is that and what is it they say!
From a culturally ignorant England signing of for the night
KAZ
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

I can chose to live outside of those areas in the UK.

When talking about culture i do not mean race - although the UK is a remarkable diverse country in that respect. I mean the arts, architecture and general way of life. NZ seems to have imported all the worst bits of british and american culture. If you cant see that you will probably be happy in NZ but for those that do see it NZ is culturally baren.

So dont get me wrong here, so why are you in Christchurch if all of your national icons seem to give you a bad taste in the mouth, UK national icons leave a bad taste in my mouth, National Uk icon Graffiti on most architectural buildings around us that have history, but not to the scroats that desecrate them for kicks or hey lets look cool......hoody culture of the UK we seem to be drifting into or the Happy Slap phase of lets kick in a down and out and record it on my mobile for a laugh.....that was my generalisation of UK coming under fire from a very different generation of the 21st century being left behind. NZ was happy and still is to be part of the commonwealth and its diverse culture so why not come over and be part of it . I'm sure we have enough to make you proud of as you think NZ is culture bar-en of your own national icons.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
I really don't believe you can say that NZ is culturally barren. There are art galleries, Freida Khalo expo in Wellington. Theatre, Ballet and more accessible than for us in the UK. We too have a history, Maori wars, tribal wars and a rich pacific culture if you want to examine it. And what is wrong with Jandels, you have weetabix when everyone knows it should be weetbix.
England is just a much older country with more history although talking to a lot of the kids I work with they have no idea and do not want to know any of their rich history. Unless it involves football and rip of label clothing they don't care. In fact lots of the adults don't care either, go to the national gallery I say, where is that and what is it they say!
From a culturally ignorant England signing of for the night
KAZ
Kaz

You are right to challenge quotes of NZ being culturally barren, that it is not as you describe histroy with Maori, wars tribal wars, and rich pacific culture. We seem to have lost our way with that one i think over the last 20 years and where will it be in the next 20. We are going full steam ahead with Europe im afraid and we answer to those idiots in Brussels too much. We are in jeorpardy of losing our way with most historic times before us, take the latest bill trying to go through the House of Commons " The religous hatred bill" what is it all about nowadays trying to push through the back door a micky mouse bill on religous hatred.

Paul Goggins, the Home Office minister overseeing the Bill, said the Government wished only to close a loophole in the law.He said: "When people use language about their belief, even to the point where that language is abusive and insulting, if the intention is not to stir up hatred then they are not caught by this Bill."

But Dominic Grieve, the shadow attorney general, said there would be a "chilling" effect on writers and comedians who would feel inhibited by the possibility of being questioned over words used on stage. So in essence then Michael Barrymore has no chance of ever making it again as the comback comedian......There is always NZ if he comes back or what about Christchurch previous thread said they are lacking in Culture.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Originally Posted by P18PPS
still the negative comments are made but they always seem to come back to money and the fact that you have more in the UK. Good luck back in the UK to these people I would take NZ any day.

Not true at all we came and lived in NZ for 3 years and left. Absolutely nothing to do with money just thought there were hugely more interesting and vibarnt places to live in the world. We found NZ abit of a nonentity, ok in a retirement sort of way but not very inspiring culturally, scenically, or business wise. My lasting thoughts really were 'don't believe the hype.'.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

scracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hubbard
We found NZ abit of a nonentity, ok in a retirement sort of way but not very inspiring culturally, scenically, or business wise. My lasting thoughts really were 'don't believe the hype.'.
Not inspiring scenically? Completely disagree. It's breathtaking in many places and certainly inspiring.

Culturally: Per head of population there are more cultures here than just about any other nation. Certainly plenty of Brits, Chinese, Japanese, German and Dutch even in my little town...oh..and some kiwi's too :-). > 25% of New Zealand's workforce were born somewhere else.

Business wise? So far I've found much less red-tape than doing business here than in the UK. The tax man is easier to deal with and nobody can sue me for tripping over their own feet. Lack of population and geographical location make certain business' difficult. Certainly the infrastructure (transport and telecomms [1] for starters) isn't as good. Kiwi brain drain more than compensated by skilled migrants entering the country. Some techie companies outsourcing to New Zealand (lower wages, good education, english speaking [2], similar culture [3]).

[1] I could start a seperate rant all about NZ Telecom.
[2] Of sorts
[3] As compared to Bangalore for example
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:33 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scracha]Not inspiring scenically? Completely disagree. It's breathtaking in many places and certainly inspiring.

ABSOLUTELY. BUT ALSO NO MORE SO THAN THE UK WHICH HAS SOME STUNNING SCENERY, IT IS SIMPLY IN PLACES THAT MANY PEOPLE DO NOT VISIT.

Kiwi brain drain more than compensated by skilled migrants entering the country.

REALLY?????? I HONESTLY DIDN'T THINK THIS WAS THE CASE FROM THE INFORMATION I HAVE READ. KIWI BRAIN DRAIN IS TERTIARY EDUCATED INDIVIDUALS. ARE MOST SKILLED MIGRANTS REALLY AS HIGHLY EDUCATED AND SKILLED AS THOSE WHO LEAVE? I DOUBT IT.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

I don't know, you turn your back on your thread for two minutes...

I think that there is a fundamental issue here about being happy (or not) where you are. We came to the realisation that we will always be a middle-class, middle-income family that struggles to make ends meet (does any of this sound familiar?) and that it would not matter whether we were in the UK or NZ but that is what we will always be. Moving to NZ would not suddenly make my farts smell any sweeter, my children behave better or my wife look like Scarlet Johannsen...

NZ is scenically (?) inspiring but then so is the UK and Europe - for the distance we travelled over North Island we could easily cover the same in Europe and see equally dramatic scenary (and on better roads).

Most of the (graduate) NZers in the UK are here because of the prospects that the UK offers (and that's one reason that a lot of other people want to be here too) and a lot of them don't go back. Unfortunately, if you spend too much time reading The Sun you end up believing what you read. A few facts for you - Ethnic minorities make up less than 10% of this nation, most illegal immigrants come here because they want to work and make a better life for themselves, not all the UK is covered in grafitti, there are some very good state schools and the vast majority of teenagers respect there parents (even though they would die before admitting it...)
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

I accept your opinions on NZ why you like it. But I was simply pointing out people leave NZ not just because of money issues. For a number of persons I knew whilst we lived there (us included) it simply did not appeal. Likewise certain aspects of the UK don't appeal, hence we live in Australia.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

Hispeed,

I've sent you a PM.

Sorry for the delay!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:44 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by livewire
Well I live in Auckland and am very happy with our lifestyle.

My partner works shorter hours than he did in the UK, we've got 5 acres with fantastic views and a house being built the way we want it. I've been able to afford to give up work and had the time to develop my hobbies and interests. We go away at least once a month and find that there are plenty of things to do around the region and further afield. I love the relatively mild climate, rain included, but hope to be better prepared for the next cold winter we have. There is no way I would ever want to go back to the UK to live, unless our situation were to change due to unforseen circumstances.

But goodness me it's taken some determination and staying power to get it and it hasn't fallen into our laps. NZ isn't the clean, green utopia I thought it would be and it does have its faults, some of which are also present in the UK, but despite those I love it and our lives here.

aren't you paid in sterling though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.