Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why we won't be emigrating to New Zealand

Why we won't be emigrating to New Zealand

Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:39 am
livewire

Default Re: Why we won't be emigrating to New Zealand

Well I live in Auckland and am very happy with our lifestyle.

My partner works shorter hours than he did in the UK, we've got 5 acres with fantastic views and a house being built the way we want it. I've been able to afford to give up work and had the time to develop my hobbies and interests. We go away at least once a month and find that there are plenty of things to do around the region and further afield. I love the relatively mild climate, rain included, but hope to be better prepared for the next cold winter we have. There is no way I would ever want to go back to the UK to live, unless our situation were to change due to unforseen circumstances.

But goodness me it's taken some determination and staying power to get it and it hasn't fallen into our laps. NZ isn't the clean, green utopia I thought it would be and it does have its faults, some of which are also present in the UK, but despite those I love it and our lives here.

Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:39 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
You sound very, very content Pixi-dust I'm really happy for you , bit jealous too mind
thanks Sky, we are. I'm not trying to rub folks noses in it, though. and sorry if I have.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

We have been here for four just over 4 months now and we love it. This is perhaps one of the best and most exciting things I have ever done in my life. It was very stressful going through the process to get here, but we always said it was an adventure, and it has definitely turned out to be a great one [/QUOTE]

Good to hear your happy - have another

I would agree with and echo everything you've said. We, as a family, have all gained a huge amount from the experience and whilst there has at times been a high level of stress (I still remember the evening we told the kids we were emigrating) it has also been the the most amazing adventure ever and we have all grown and benifitted from it.

What made you choose the Bay of Islands? We were tempted at one point but decided that it was just that little bit too far away.

Maybe another day...
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:52 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herm

What made you choose the Bay of Islands? We were tempted at one point but decided that it was just that little bit too far away.

Maybe another day...
This is going to sound a bit daft, but we just looked at pictures and thought it looked really nice. I had never been to NZ before we got our PR so anywhere was going to be a big change.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
This is going to sound a bit daft, but we just looked at pictures and thought it looked really nice. I had never been to NZ before we got our PR so anywhere was going to be a big change.
Not daft at all. We put a pin in the map.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:54 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Herm
Not daft at all. We put a pin in the map.
glad we're not the only ones!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

glad we're not the only ones!
Made me smile - have some Karma
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:18 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Sky, we are. I'm not trying to rub folks noses in it, though. and sorry if I have.
No silly, I didn't think you were at all, I just think you sound really happy and content and I'm really pleased for you
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:23 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by sky
No silly, I didn't think you were at all, I just think you sound really happy and content and I'm really pleased for you
ta luv!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:24 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome Please don't call me love though, it makes me cringe lol.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:36 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by sky
Your welcome Please don't call me love though, it makes me cringe lol.
hun me old mucker darlin' ????
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:49 am
sky
Banned

Sky
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:16 am
A land far far away

sky
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by livewire
Well I live in Auckland and am very happy with our lifestyle.

My partner works shorter hours than he did in the UK, we've got 5 acres with fantastic views and a house being built the way we want it. I've been able to afford to give up work and had the time to develop my hobbies and interests. We go away at least once a month and find that there are plenty of things to do around the region and further afield. I love the relatively mild climate, rain included, but hope to be better prepared for the next cold winter we have. There is no way I would ever want to go back to the UK to live, unless our situation were to change due to unforseen circumstances.

But goodness me it's taken some determination and staying power to get it and it hasn't fallen into our laps. NZ isn't the clean, green utopia I thought it would be and it does have its faults, some of which are also present in the UK, but despite those I love it and our lives here.

Hi

Just started taking interest with post again after a long absence due to returning from NZ ourselves after spending a year living on the North Shore in Devonport. We returned to UK in August 2004 and was a heartbreaking decision to make but we did, i must say we have learnt a lot about ourselves within that year living on the North Shore and found as a family unit our true identities as parents and as teenagers. We totally enjoyed our brief stay in a beautiful part of the southern hemisphere and having served in many places being ex forces this was by far the best so far. Our reasons to move back to UK was for my Wife and family reasons, as she hadn't the opportunity like me to be privileged and to have known her natural birth parents, so having finally found after many years searching her natural surviving parent mother and new found sisters and brother. We made the monumental decision to return to the UK and give her time with her new found family. Over a year has passed now and we have had some great times back in UK finding our feet again with jobs and filling those gaps in my wife's life she had so long thought about all those years ago, but we have come to a decision all of us kids and all we long to return back to NZ the place which is by far so very different to the UK in so many different ways. Keep you all posted !! we did wake up and smell the coffee it does taste better in NZ than UK........
Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:51 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonesey
Hi

Just started taking interest with post again after a long absence due to returning from NZ ourselves after spending a year living on the North Shore in Devonport. We returned to UK in August 2004 and was a heartbreaking decision to make but we did, i must say we have learnt a lot about ourselves within that year living on the North Shore and found as a family unit our true identities as parents and as teenagers. We totally enjoyed our brief stay in a beautiful part of the southern hemisphere and having served in many places being ex forces this was by far the best so far. Our reasons to move back to UK was for my Wife and family reasons, as she hadn't the opportunity like me to be privileged and to have known her natural birth parents, so having finally found after many years searching her natural surviving parent mother and new found sisters and brother. We made the monumental decision to return to the UK and give her time with her new found family. Over a year has passed now and we have had some great times back in UK finding our feet again with jobs and filling those gaps in my wife's life she had so long thought about all those years ago, but we have come to a decision all of us kids and all we long to return back to NZ the place which is by far so very different to the UK in so many different ways. Keep you all posted !! we did wake up and smell the coffee it does taste better in NZ than UK........
Well we have been back in the UK for almost a year now and we too as a family miss NZ (CHCH) a hell of a lot. We are about 90% or higher on going back. Money will be tight but i think we had a better life there than here. Its too depressing here i have to say. I am sick of seeing miserable people every where, no one is happy at all. We were happier in NZ that's for sure. Too many people shoving you about here with attitude. Sick of the same old grey sky and the litter. The kids just stay in the house fed up. In NZ they were out being kids all the time and HAPPY! Say's it all really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.