Why Stay?

Old Oct 5th 2005, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future
Default Why Stay?

this is a good question for you all, if its now so expensive to live in NZ and wages are so low what has stopped you moving to OZ for higher wage and how do the locals live?
i look forward to your replies
ps Flights booked 2nd Nov heading for Christchurch.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Stay?

Originally Posted by dlummis
this is a good question for you all, if its now so expensive to live in NZ and wages are so low what has stopped you moving to OZ for higher wage and how do the locals live?
i look forward to your replies
ps Flights booked 2nd Nov heading for Christchurch.

Not everyones wages are low.
You adjust to the cost of living.
Just don't fancy OZ, too many spiders, too hot, too humid and too full of Ozzies.
The locals live better than you think, with many owning second homes, baches and having a great quality of life.

Gill
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Not everyones wages are low.
You adjust to the cost of living.
Just don't fancy OZ, too many spiders, too hot, too humid and too full of Ozzies.
The locals live better than you think, with many owning second homes, baches and having a great quality of life.

Gill
Thanks Gill
As you said you adjust to things, me and my family are leaving the UK on 2nd Nov i will be earning $800 aweek and once the house is sold in UK i will be mortgage free unless the wife wants equestrian centre. i hope we will be ok.
Good opinions you have
darryn
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gill
As you said you adjust to things, me and my family are leaving the UK on 2nd Nov i will be earning $800 aweek and once the house is sold in UK i will be mortgage free unless the wife wants equestrian centre. i hope we will be ok.
Good opinions you have
darryn
We'll be mortgage free, cos we'll be renting

No seriously, be careful who you tell your mortgage free, cos from reading past posts this is one of the things the kiwi's hate about the brits.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by planty
We'll be mortgage free, cos we'll be renting

No seriously, be careful who you tell your mortgage free, cos from reading past posts this is one of the things the kiwi's hate about the brits.
Thanks but same reason as you i will be renting for a while until there house prices are stable.
Still i know what you mean we feel the same about Londoners moving to East Anglia but when they buy your house who cares!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 7:37 am
Just Joined

richyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the roughrichyrocker is a jewel in the rough

Moved to Ozz 2 months ago now , Beware , even though they crying out for skilled trades men the job agencys are as good as useless, ive had to go out and hand out CV,s personally and even then you get job offers that pay peanuts, as they hope you will jump at the oppurtunity , you then find out that the lady on the till in supermarket earns more . The standard of driving is frightening so be ultra carefull on the roads you will have to think for them or drive a old banger and not worry about the demolision derby on the freeways.
I have to say Australia has been a disappointment for us , more like America than what we thought , and very exspensive .
Looking at going over to NZ , need some space , freedom and less traffic .
Old Oct 8th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

this is a good question for you all, if its now so expensive to live in NZ and wages are so low
Moved from S Yorks back in March and both my wife and I found higher paid jobs within 2 weeks in Akl.

Living expenses for the 2 of us are approx the same - hence we are better off being here. That of course ignores the lifestyle benefits of everything to do and experience around Akl!

Go for it - you won't regret it

Neil
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:19 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilw71
Moved from S Yorks back in March and both my wife and I found higher paid jobs within 2 weeks in Akl.

Living expenses for the 2 of us are approx the same - hence we are better off being here. That of course ignores the lifestyle benefits of everything to do and experience around Akl!

Go for it - you won't regret it

Neil
That's great news - but I imagine it's because S Yorks is no comparison to Auckland in terms of salaries to be achieved. Bit 'apples & pears' if you like I would have thought.

For comparison purposes, Auckland could only really be compared to London, since both housing and salaries are very high in relation to national averages. Not sure where in NZ would compare to S Yorks. Do appreciate though that for many people who couldn't bear to live in London (me included), Akl would be considered since it's nowhere near the same in terms of size, population, dirt, crime etc.

Glad you are pleased with the move and hope you continue to enjoy it.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
That's great news - but I imagine it's because S Yorks is no comparison to Auckland in terms of salaries to be achieved. Bit 'apples & pears' if you like I would have thought.

For comparison purposes, Auckland could only really be compared to London, since both housing and salaries are very high in relation to national averages. Not sure where in NZ would compare to S Yorks. Do appreciate though that for many people who couldn't bear to live in London (me included), Akl would be considered since it's nowhere near the same in terms of size, population, dirt, crime etc.

thanks for all your feedback please keep it coming, i am moving over on 2nd nov to Christchurch see you soon
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You can only move to Australia if you have the right to live in Australia.

Many New Zealand *citizens* who have the right to live in Australia (although not will full PR unless they go through further hoops) are doing just that. Isn't it 600 or so a week at the moment?

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can only move to Australia if you have the right to live in Australia.

Many New Zealand *citizens* who have the right to live in Australia (although not will full PR unless they go through further hoops) are doing just that. Isn't it 600 or so a week at the moment?

Jeremy
thanks jeremy but what i want to know is for what reason are they moving across in these numbers?
cheers darryn
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:11 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Hi - we're living in Auckland and compare it to Dublin. No comparison really as the wages are almost the same in my case and higher in my hubby's. More going out on mortgage (because of the interest rates) but otherwise the prices are mostly Dollar for Euro so we're much better off. I don't fret about money here at all the way I used to back in Ireland.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:17 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Lots leave to earn higher wages, the cost of living is very expensive in NZ at the mo. I keep getting told by the locals that the economy has gone crazy and completely out of balance over the last three to four years.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:17 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Lots leave to earn higher wages, the cost of living is very expensive in NZ at the mo. I keep getting told by the locals that the economy has gone crazy and completely out of balance over the last three to four years.
I keep getting told that too, Sky.

I think the whole world's going the same way.

Lots leave because of the weather combined with cost of living but most come back later or want to.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks jeremy but what i want to know is for what reason are they moving across in these numbers?
cheers darryn

1. Better weather
2. A larger economy with more varied opportunities
3. Higher standard of living.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.