Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

why are salaries so rarely given in job adverts? it's driving me nuts!

why are salaries so rarely given in job adverts? it's driving me nuts!

Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why are salaries so rarely given in job adverts? it's driving me nuts!

grr... we've done our research and worked out a household income that would see us comfortable (and a 'get by for a while' one too!)

but haven't got a clue what our jobs/experience/qualifications would be worth... not looking to compare to uk salary or anything, just want to check that we're going to be able to get the sort of $nz income we need, cos if we can't then it's back to the drawing board!

I'm guessing that like in the uk, nursing, teaching etc may have salary scales/points that would give an indication, but neither of us work in these sort of fields....

finding it really frustrating that so few job ads have salary details with them - even when you get the 'more details' bits, they still just say 'dependent on experience' or 'negotiable' without giving any indication where a starting point might be... just can't get a clear picture!

wouldn't know where to start 'negotiating'!!

i've now emailed a potential employer to ask if they could give me an indication of likely salary range, but i wondered if anyone might have any advice on how else to find this info out? or on where to start negotiating? or well, just anything really!!

sorry, that was a bit of rant wasn't it?!

help!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: why are salaries so rarely given in job adverts? it's driving me nuts!

Originally Posted by Stoof
grr... we've done our research and worked out a household income that would see us comfortable (and a 'get by for a while' one too!)

but haven't got a clue what our jobs/experience/qualifications would be worth... not looking to compare to uk salary or anything, just want to check that we're going to be able to get the sort of $nz income we need, cos if we can't then it's back to the drawing board!

I'm guessing that like in the uk, nursing, teaching etc may have salary scales/points that would give an indication, but neither of us work in these sort of fields....

finding it really frustrating that so few job ads have salary details with them - even when you get the 'more details' bits, they still just say 'dependent on experience' or 'negotiable' without giving any indication where a starting point might be... just can't get a clear picture!

i've now emailed a potential employer to ask if they could give me an indication of likely salary range, but i wondered if anyone might have any advice on how else to find this info out? or on where to start negotiating? or well, just anything really!!

help!

Cant really be off any help apart from saying welcome to the world of immigration where these small but important differences in how things are done in diff countries come to the fore.
It is irritating, and i dont know why it is, it just is.
You could phone a recruitment consultant in NZ and ask the question outright, stating why you need to info, perhaps regarding a role you see advertised that you think you may be suitable for. What are your qualifications/ jobs/ experience levels, maybe some on the forum may know what sort of salary ranges to expect.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:00 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all
Default Re: why are salaries so rarely given in job adverts? it's driving me nuts!

Hi Stoof,

I know exactly what you mean!! We (as a family) worked it all out too, but without that vital piece of info.... you cant really get much further haha.

OH said it cos the employers dont want to commit to a salary and if you are willing to work for less then they are happy with that

But I guess it really depends what line of work you are in.

We trolled through a number of websites and found a calculator for hubby with ranges for different IT jobs. Maybe there is something similar for your line of work. Although i have kinda put a guesstimate on my potential earnings as $0

Some people on here will have an idea, so i would post what your occupations are and at what level and i am sure someone will reply and let you know.

Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:49 am
Account Closed

thanks!

ok... (just in case anyone can help - for which i'd be enormously grateful!)

OH:

currently works as web-based news editor (includes web development type stuff too)

in TV land is qualified/experienced also in

production assistant live news broadcast
PA outside broadcast
news co-ordinator - satellite booking etc etc

away from TV land qualified/experienced in

press officer/PR/communication type roles and box office management for live performance (theatre/music etc)

he's qualified to undergrad degree level, and has TV industry specific quals in relation to his TV work

I currently work in community development. i have 10+ years experience in social housing, including time as an area manager, and 4 years in community development.

I'm a qualified youth worker (national ie management grade qualified). I have first degree in housing studies , grad dip in youth and community development , and am a fellow of the chartered institute of housing (always a winner at parties... yeah right)

hmm i could/would do the following sort of jobs

community development
youth work
pretty much anything to do with social housing

what do you reckon?!?!?!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof

help!
This was something that caused me difficulty when I started looking for work here.

NZ employers want a CV written in a very specific way, a covering letter with your application, and then if you are lucky enough to get an interview you later find out the salary is well beneath anything you would accept, or that the job is well too senior for you.

The whole thing is a bloody waste of time and very frustrating.

I have another gripe with employers here - they look you and your CV over in fine detail then reject you cos of some percieved lack of experience or qualification.
But when you finally get into these companies, you find out that their existing employees are totally useless or lazy or completely lacking in aptitude or communication skills.

I have to say the lack of work skills possessed by the people Ive had to work with is amazing. And Im a contractor who moves around, so I get to see various companies.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:14 am
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_
This was something that caused me difficulty when I started looking for work here.

NZ employers want a CV written in a very specific way, a covering letter with your application, and then if you are lucky enough to get an interview you later find out the salary is well beneath anything you would accept, or that the job is well too senior for you.

The whole thing is a bloody waste of time and very frustrating.

I have another gripe with employers here - they look you and your CV over in fine detail then reject you cos of some percieved lack of experience or qualification.
But when you finally get into these companies, you find out that their existing employees are totally useless or lazy or completely lacking in aptitude or communication skills.

I have to say the lack of work skills possessed by the people Ive had to work with is amazing. And Im a contractor who moves around, so I get to see various companies.
Haha - its the same in UK.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:24 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Alix, i was going to say the same thing. I suspect that because we have a lot of small/medium sized businesses here that perhaps it is a bit more evident. But i encountered that a lot in the UK as well.

However, here's a tip. On Seek, the employer/advertiser is asked to put in a salary range. The advertiser is specifically advised that it is not displayed but it will help with job searches. So, you could get around the issue by putting in an estimated salary and see what jobs appear? Incidentally there is an option for advertisers/employers to advertise the salary but, as I know in my workplace, in many cases the salary is actually quite dependant on the person being appropriate that the salary can vary somewhat from the advertised range. That's a bit unclear, basically if the right person came along many employers are willing to change the salary a bit from the advertised rate. In one case at my work the entire advertised job ended up being changed.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

I'd speak with the agencies themselves when I was applying for jobs, and let them know the salary range i was looking for. They work on a comission basis on the final agreed salary should you get the job, so it's in their best interst to get the best salary for you...

regards

Simon
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:00 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Try these:

http://www.hays.net.nz/salary/

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/816460/823789

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Jul 11th 2008 at 12:19 am.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:32 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Its probably due to the two factors mentioned already: privacy and bargaining position.

Most NZ companies are small and competitors and current employees are acutely aware when positions are being advertised. Employers probably think it is less hassle to not disclose starting salaries, because often these might be more than existing staff are on.

I also think NZ employers (generally) have more of a them and us attitude to staff, and want to protect their bargaining position by not disclosing what they are willing to pay, just like job applicants don't include in their CVs what is the minimum pay they would accept. It is accepted that applicants will try to sell themselves, and bid up the starting salary.

Unfortunately that does not help those new to these shores, and therefore I suggest trying to get hold of salary surveys from people like Hayes and other recruiters, or from industry bodies, and being bold and approaching the advertisers directly with questions such as "I don't want to waste your time if the job level and salary are not within my expectations, can you please advise the expected salary band for this position"...

And if you can establish a good relationship with a recruitment agent then they should be able to guide you as well. They accept commissions from employers, but their main asset is having talent on their books, and so they should be motivated in giving you good relevant advice on what to expect.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

You are quite right in asking what the range of salary on the position is. I have asked that lots of times and it is completely acceptable to do so. I am very expensive so less time is wasted on both sides.

Don't take the point that was made above about the particular style of the CV. It is very important to get in the the usually accepted format.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:03 am
Account Closed

well, thank you!

top tips, ace links, and just all round common sense

brill!

thanks everso

the company i asked about salaries has come back very promptly with an encouraging figure too! feeling much better about it all now!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:28 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

They don't want to scare you off. He he he. I was head hunted while in Christchurch and they would not offer more than i was on and they were desperate. Thing that annoyed me was they could well afford it. It's a mentality thing, a bit like old Victorian ways. Unlike American employers, who if they want you they will do what it takes to get you. Well in my experience anyway.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:51 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alix
Haha - its the same in UK.
erm - nope mate - jsut talk to professionals over here in NZ and you'll see it is very very different. Non-NZ experience is very under-valued and excuses are made all over the place to pass people over or keep them down - seen it myself and heard all about it from plenty of "whinging Pomms/SAs/Asians/Aussies/etc".

Just look at the closed shop in the trades, where overseas quals and experience are trampled on to "keep up standards" - I could recount a few stories from people who have come over from UK/Europe and ended up looking after compliance in certain sectors where the standards were/are attrocious (their words) and they had a real hard time getting to first base here, and that was only a few years before they are showing the NZ market how it is done....suppose at least it stops the UK situation where many people are complaining the apprenticeships are finished due to cheap labour coming in from Europe.

I've also been warned about people on interview panels who will see you as a threat and try to head you off ........that would not suprise me in the least! Sometimes best not to over-sell yourself - certainly try to avoid the "how we did it in UK" line as many managers here see that as patronising to them.

Back OT - for my first job here it was a case of "what do you think is a fair salary" - that was an interview question!! They just gave me what I thought was fair (off the top of my head).......

Bear in mind that it is pretty hard to get rid of staff here and employers are hard pressed to give a bad reference - much in the labour market favours the employee as far as legal rights go.

Good luck.