British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Why is the press not all over this? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/why-press-not-all-over-766879/)

Genesis Aug 1st 2012 5:13 am

Why is the press not all over this?

QROPs and the proposed changes to tax law that will effectively tax immigrants on the pensions they have transferred to NZ from the UK when we were ALL told (apparently) that this method WAS 100% tax free so long as all rules were followed???

It seems like utterly dishonest and down right unfair.

Like buying a new car and the servicing is agreed at 12 month intervals over 5 years to ensure your warranty is valid.

BUT the makers decide you have to get your motor serviced EVERY 6 months now..after you bought the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apparently the IRD can do what it likes. Is that fair? I THOUGHT NZ WAS A DEMOCRACY?????????????????????????? The IRD appear to be behaving like a dictatorship. Have I got this all wrong or are my thoughts correct?????????????????????????????????

Mind you there was very little in general about $5 billion going up in smoke from you know where. The people in this country are so apathetic..MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sirplug Aug 1st 2012 6:29 am

Re: Why is the press not all over this?

Ermmm.......welcome back, Genesis!! :D

Justcol Aug 1st 2012 9:33 am

just waiting for another financial upset to get stuck in to

could go back to the uk and claim the pension there...problem solved

bourbon-biscuit Aug 1st 2012 9:44 am

Brill. Glad you're back and on top form Genesis :wub:

bourbon-biscuit Aug 1st 2012 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10204048)
The people in this country are so apathetic..MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: we're not apathetic, we're just too busy Living the Dream hooked on good coffee to worry about stuff like this and the end of the world and all that.

<heads back to couch to suck bonbons>

BEVS Aug 1st 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 10204400)
just waiting for another financial upset to get stuck in to

could go back to the uk and claim the pension there...problem solved

Um. No. That isn't how this will work at all.

BEVS Aug 1st 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10204451)
PS: we're not apathetic, we're just too busy Living the Dream hooked on good coffee to worry about stuff like this and the end of the world and all that.

Thing for me is that I'm not of an age where I have time to try & recoup. I have to worry. I have no choice.

bourbon-biscuit Aug 1st 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10204473)
Thing for me is that I'm not of an age where I have time to try & recoup. I have to worry. I have no choice.

No BEVS, it's ok (well, it's not, but that's what I mean), I was being most very very tongue in cheek.

stephen60 Aug 1st 2012 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10204048)
QROPs and the proposed changes to tax law that will effectively tax immigrants on the pensions they have transferred to NZ from the UK when we were ALL told (apparently) that this method WAS 100% tax free so long as all rules were followed???

It seems like utterly dishonest and down right unfair.

Mind you there was very little in general about $5 billion going up in smoke from you know where. The people in this country are so apathetic..MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY IS THE PRESS NOT ALL OVER THIS?
just in case WE hadn't noticed all the NZ editors appear to have shot across the Tasman and, of course, their pensions aren't worth taxing
sorry about the sticky stuff on the screen, that was one of me blurd vessels!
:getcoat:

BEVS Aug 1st 2012 11:10 am

What is needed is a Kiwi in the same boat. That would get 'em shouting unfair play.

We don't count.

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 1st 2012 11:13 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10204580)
What is needed is a Kiwi in the same boat. That would get 'em shouting unfair play.

We don't count.

We are just "whingeing Poms":rolleyes::banghead:. We may pay taxes, rates & contribute to the local economy but god forbid that we express an opinion:frown:

Bo-Jangles Aug 1st 2012 12:05 pm

Lincoln Tan at the Herald would be the man for the job, he generally gets behind all migrant stories.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lincoln-ta...s.cfm?a_id=308

julesnye Aug 1st 2012 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10204451)
<heads back to couch to suck bonbons>

shouldnt that be Bourbons.....:rofl:

RachelG12 Aug 1st 2012 11:19 pm

If it waste other way round we'd all be getting arrested for tax evasion!!

Genesis Aug 1st 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10204665)
Lincoln Tan at the Herald would be the man for the job, he generally gets behind all migrant stories.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lincoln-ta...s.cfm?a_id=308

Have e mailed him..my chap at the Dom has gone to ground, now there is a surprise.