Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
sorry, need to spread.
That's VERY rude...

Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:48 am
turkeytickler

Talking Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by isv
In all the time that I have been working towards moving to NZ the only consistent theme on all the fora is the cost of living comparison.

Everyone's circumstances will be different. Above all else this comes down to one thing - expectations. If you set them too high you will be disappointed. The facts are out there - everything that YOU need to make the best decision for YOU is out there.

I've spent the last few months working on some software models that very accurately compare cost of living between countries based on lifestyle expectations. The results for NZ are...interesting. It is not all doom and gloom by any means. The outcome is based on hundreds of factors but just a few can swing the result enormously:

Size of family (child benefits etc.)
Amount of free capital
Debt (mortgage, car loans etc.)
Investments (property, business, pensions etc.)
Salary (not all jobs pay less in NZ - but most do)
Education preferences (private schools, state etc.)

The results vary tremendously and if you try to make broad statements based on the your own inputs it can be misleading. Having said that... the general indicators we are seeing can summarised as:

The amount of capital you take with you has the most major impact on any of the financial outcomes. The combination of low capital + low/average NZ salary + children = many families significantly worse off compared to UK.

The ability to run your own business/self-employment has a major beneficial impact - if you run a small business/self-employed in the UK then most of the time you should be significantly better off in NZ.

If you earn a low wage in the UK and expect to do the same in NZ then in most cases you will be (considerably) better off financially in the UK (unless you have significant capital to kick-start life in NZ).

If you are fortunate to own a house in the UK and can pocket a considerable sum if/when sold then you should be able to relocate with ease (but you might be surprised at how large the sum needs to be).

The above should be pretty obvious to anyone who has investigated a potential move in any depth. BUT I would add that if your desire to move to NZ is based purely on financial comparisons then perhaps you are going for the wrong reasons.

Alan.

I think you are dead right about being self employed. ChCh at least seems like a real small business economy - maybe that is the way to be successful - go and make your own luck??

Im running a small IT outsourcing operation (just me ) in ChCh for a UK company and i find the tax regime here preferable to the UK - and the IRD are very supportive of small businesses too.

I think the bank charges are a bit of a rip though.

Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:44 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

And anyway ......isnt New Zealand the wrong shape as well .....surely it would be better if it was more TRIANGULAR.....oh and maybe if we could make it one big island with a little tiny one at the bottom that would be better also.............................................. .........?

Sorry .....just messin wiv yer
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi][I]sorry, need to spread.

Hi Carmen,
feel free to spread my way!!
KAZ
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

They're trying to drag us back!!!

http://newzealandnow.info/

Info on cost of living in there as well
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:15 am
Just Joined

expomm is an unknown quantity at this point

soo funny john campbell asks the minister dude what he plans to do to entice NZ expats back to NZ and he breaks out his trump card........A WEBSITE!!! - yep thats gonna do it beside the fact that they are all way better of wherever else they are working a website is exctly what is needed to bring them all back all 500 thousand of em . If that is this countrys best shot better put up the closed signs now......
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expomm
soo funny john campbell asks the minister dude what he plans to do to entice NZ expats back to NZ and he breaks out his trump card........A WEBSITE!!! - yep thats gonna do it beside the fact that they are all way better of wherever else they are working a website is exctly what is needed to bring them all back all 500 thousand of em . If that is this countrys best shot better put up the closed signs now......
LOL.

I had a wee look at the website and it's sh.ite.....there's nothing in it that sways me at all.
Says job market is strong - well um yes it is...unemployment is low...but then so are wages. We're employed where we are overseas as well and paid decently for it.
Says our grandparents live there....well um yes - they do....but we knew that when we left. We knew we'd miss seeing them but if that's a reason to return surely it's a reason not to leave in the first place and leave we did.
Says it's a good time to return to NZ - well umm i disagree....NZ$ is so strong it would kill us to return.

I knew the gov. was coming up with a 'kiwi's return' campaign but what a dissapointment.

They way NZ is going they are going to end up with kids raised there....then work overseas for 35 years earning 'proper' money...then retiring in NZ.

How's the gov. going to provide for a land of retired people.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:10 am
Just Joined

BritInFlorida is a jewel in the roughBritInFlorida is a jewel in the roughBritInFlorida is a jewel in the roughBritInFlorida is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by isv
In all the time that I have been working towards moving to NZ the only consistent theme on all the fora is the cost of living comparison.

Everyone's circumstances will be different. Above all else this comes down to one thing - expectations. If you set them too high you will be disappointed. The facts are out there - everything that YOU need to make the best decision for YOU is out there.

I've spent the last few months working on some software models that very accurately compare cost of living between countries based on lifestyle expectations. The results for NZ are...interesting. It is not all doom and gloom by any means. The outcome is based on hundreds of factors but just a few can swing the result enormously:

Size of family (child benefits etc.)
Amount of free capital
Debt (mortgage, car loans etc.)
Investments (property, business, pensions etc.)
Salary (not all jobs pay less in NZ - but most do)
Education preferences (private schools, state etc.)

The results vary tremendously and if you try to make broad statements based on the your own inputs it can be misleading. Having said that... the general indicators we are seeing can summarised as:

The amount of capital you take with you has the most major impact on any of the financial outcomes. The combination of low capital + low/average NZ salary + children = many families significantly worse off compared to UK.

The ability to run your own business/self-employment has a major beneficial impact - if you run a small business/self-employed in the UK then most of the time you should be significantly better off in NZ.

If you earn a low wage in the UK and expect to do the same in NZ then in most cases you will be (considerably) better off financially in the UK (unless you have significant capital to kick-start life in NZ).

If you are fortunate to own a house in the UK and can pocket a considerable sum if/when sold then you should be able to relocate with ease (but you might be surprised at how large the sum needs to be).

The above should be pretty obvious to anyone who has investigated a potential move in any depth. BUT I would add that if your desire to move to NZ is based purely on financial comparisons then perhaps you are going for the wrong reasons.

Alan.
Here, here Alan....VERY well put !
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:11 am
Just Joined

BritInFlorida is a jewel in the roughBritInFlorida is a jewel in the roughBritInFlorida is a jewel in the roughBritInFlorida is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BritInFlorida
Here, here Alan....VERY well put !
P>S...One of our best mate's also lives out in Dubai, is a Golf pro out there for 5 years now

Nice to meet you
katya
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:23 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kelvynd
They're trying to drag us back!!!

http://newzealandnow.info/

Info on cost of living in there as well
What tripe that website is! People wouild be mad to come back here. Maybe the nz govt should ask why 600 a week leave?
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by expomm

short and sweet its puerly a money thing in nz. that is, generally wage rates are low and therefore relative cost of living is high. its not as though everyone struggling, nz's still a very wealthy we nation though, but certainly at this point in time there are better options. im a kiwi who will head to aussie soon for this very reason, which is a shame coz nz is an awesome country for those that can do well. the uk is grim all round-id rather struggle in nz, but oz is a pretty good alternative. is wages rates increased dramaticlly wed have no probs retaining people, also worth a note is that fact that many leave for oes ect and then return at some stage. so its not nz itself, its our low wage economy that sucks!! ill retire there though!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:02 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by benultimate
short and sweet its puerly a money thing in nz. that is, generally wage rates are low and therefore relative cost of living is high. its not as though everyone struggling, nz's still a very wealthy we nation though, but certainly at this point in time there are better options. im a kiwi who will head to aussie soon for this very reason, which is a shame coz nz is an awesome country for those that can do well. the uk is grim all round-id rather struggle in nz, but oz is a pretty good alternative. is wages rates increased dramaticlly wed have no probs retaining people, also worth a note is that fact that many leave for oes ect and then return at some stage. so its not nz itself, its our low wage economy that sucks!! ill retire there though!
Its far from just about money for me.

I think the 100% pure green notion of NZ is total fiction. there are horrendous traffic problems, 100% car dependancy, some of the worst air pollution in the world (i believe ChCh has the worst in the world with the Winter smog). The only reason there is plenty of countryside left to inhabit is that the population to landmass ratio allows it. If all the kiwis living abroad came back the whole place would be concreted over within a couple of years.

You think the UK is grim - well look at the centres of large NZ cities... Auckland, Wellington, ChCh, grey, americanised and killed of any lifeblood by the out of town malls, with none of the soul, energy and vitality of european cities...

Aotereoa - the land of the long white (smog) cloud.... grim indeed.

plenty of people are retiring here - from abroad too.... thats another reason to feel very worried about this country's future....

As if that werent enough - THEN - there is the cost of living vs the wages......

back to the UK i think for us..... the grass IS greener - quite literally

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:23 pm
livewire

I used to think that this would be a good place to retire to, but then with doctors fees, prescription charges, no proper heating, high energy costs and all the rest I'm starting to think this isn't the place to be growing old and frail in.

I suppose us Brits have got most of europe to choose from so we don't necessarily have to return to the UK though.

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

[QUOTE=turkeytickler]Its far from just about money for me.

I think the 100% pure green notion of NZ is total fiction. there are horrendous traffic problems, 100% car dependancy, some of the worst air pollution in the world (i believe ChCh has the worst in the world with the Winter smog). The only reason there is plenty of countryside left to inhabit is that the population to landmass ratio allows it. If all the kiwis living abroad came back the whole place would be concreted over within a couple of years.

You think the UK is grim - well look at the centres of large NZ cities... Auckland, Wellington, ChCh, grey, americanised and killed of any lifeblood by the out of town malls, with none of the soul, energy and vitality of european cities...

everyones entitled to there opinion and i hope things will work out for you guys eventually! i guess its horses for courses, for me nz would be ideal,but for another maybe england. your ab right that our pop/land mass ratio is wot keeps the country pretty pristine, and urban centres do lack that vitality of bigger cities, but the smaller size is appealing to us too. traffic in all fairness is pretty light compared to big countries, chch's smog problem is not the amount of polution, but rather the port hills which unfortunality trap any air waste instead of been blown to sea. no country in the world has all positives and no downsides, but on balance i reckon nz is a pretty neat place to exist, i also grew up in chch and as a poor student was still able to snowboard through winter, surf most the year and head out with the family for water skiing on many of the lakes, not a lifestlye just for the weathly! the poor(overcast everyday!) weather and congestion, lack of access to natural resouurces and general dirty feel of england is what i meant by grim..not trying to be personal here though, you are our long and very lost cuzes!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:17 am
turkeytickler

[QUOTE=benultimate]
Originally Posted by turkeytickler
Its far from just about money for me.

everyones entitled to there opinion and i hope things will work out for you guys eventually! i guess its horses for courses, for me nz would be ideal,but for another maybe england. your ab right that our pop/land mass ratio is wot keeps the country pretty pristine, and urban centres do lack that vitality of bigger cities, but the smaller size is appealing to us too. traffic in all fairness is pretty light compared to big countries, chch's smog problem is not the amount of polution, but rather the port hills which unfortunality trap any air waste instead of been blown to sea. no country in the world has all positives and no downsides, but on balance i reckon nz is a pretty neat place to exist, i also grew up in chch and as a poor student was still able to snowboard through winter, surf most the year and head out with the family for water skiing on many of the lakes, not a lifestlye just for the weathly! the poor(overcast everyday!) weather and congestion, lack of access to natural resouurces and general dirty feel of england is what i meant by grim..not trying to be personal here though, you are our long and very lost cuzes!

i dont think there is a _massive_ difference between the uk and nz in terms of weather - certainly not in the south island anyway.....granted it is better but not by much and its not like you can rely on it....

as your rightly say horses for courses - but for me (a) judging by some of the posts on here i would argue that waterskiiing _is_ a lifestyle for the wealthy - they cant make ends meet without a second income.... and (b)if you participate in a lifestyle that involves ripping up and down lakes or rivers in a motor vehicle you do that at the expense of the lifestyle choice of someone who might want some tranquility - hardly "100% pure" is it.... although i accept there is plenty to go around for everyone :-). Also in the UK we do have cities that are delightful and not in the least grim - Edinbugh, Bath, Norwich, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol even the big ones still have soul.... I cant name a single city in NZ that isnt grim - although i have not visited them all so am happy to be correted...and ok our moutains arent as high but our best scenery has its own character - and we have far less restricted access to it thanks to the National Trust and centuries of public footpaths....

i guess i have a bit of a chip on my shoulder from all the ribbing i had to take from my (kiwi) wife's friends about the uk when we lived in london..... :-) - my wife however who can hardly be accused of being biased has come to similar conclusions to myself....

In all fairness NZ is a beautiful place and if its where you were brought up you are obviously likely to connect with it better that i have.... i guess the main thing for me is the lack "europeanness" about it and in fairness if thats what i want I really should bugger off back to Europe and stop moaning!! :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.