Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

[QUOTE=kelvynd]I found the British to be very rude and inconsiderate when I was there. But perhaps because you're form there you found otherwise.

I couldn't agree more! When we came to the UK we couldn't believe how unfriendly people were here. Nobody spoke to me at all in the school playground. I had to go and introduce myself to my neighbour, who I used to see at school and around the place, after I introduced myself by HI! I'm your new neighbour. She was friendly enough. The last time we moved in NZ one neighbour came over with a card and flowers, another brought over home made biscuits and another a home made cake. They all came over to introduce themselves and welcome us to the neighbourhood.
Now I do have some lovely friends but believe me it was hard bloody work to get to this point.
I used to take my son to school and get back into bed and cry. I hated being here for the first year. It is not easy to move countries, you don't have your friends, family or even know where the local library is. Is does take a long time and huge effort to settle and realise that a lot of people don't need any new friends so you need to make a lot effort.

Now this comment is not going to make me any friends, but if you don't have a great salary in the UK you are not magically going to get one in NZ now are you!
KAZ
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion, but I think kiwis are friendlier than Brits. I came from the NE of the UK, renound for its friendliness and hospitality and have found kiwis to be lovely. I think the transition from UK to NZ is easier than NZ to UK, as everyone speaks to you here, where as stangers are often viewed with suspision in the UK.

Gill
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:01 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Just my opinion, but I think kiwis are friendlier than Brits. I came from the NE of the UK, renound for its friendliness and hospitality and have found kiwis to be lovely. I think the transition from UK to NZ is easier than NZ to UK, as everyone speaks to you here, where as stangers are often viewed with suspision in the UK.

Gill
I agree. In general I would say kiwis are more friendly and sociable as a nation.

And I have also experienced similar behaviour to KAZ in the UK, unfriendly Brits, BUT also the last time we moved within the UK our neighbours did exactly that - one put a card through the post as we went out on our first evening, several came to introduce themselves, some brought flowers and another some nice biscuits to help with the unpacking. It was very very welcoming and I was very pleasantly surprised. We had only moved 17 miles from one village in Surrey to another. Much friendlier here and since I am originally from the Lake District I am much happier here!

I also think those who have made the move to NZ and spend time posting their reality make valid points which should help some to settle better when they make the move. All the positive experiences are great but only really help to validate peoples decisions, ie help before the move is made, whereas the more 'negative' experiences (if I may call them that, although that's not how I read them) should help people once they arrive in their new homeland, so are actually quite useful also. Although people often only hear and see what they want to. Its part of human nature I suspect. And anyhow everyone's situations are different, but that's what makes life exciting.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Tech21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Negative Vibes.

I have read this thread with interest as a prospective immigrant from the UK to NZ.

Just some observations : -

1) It appears (to me at any rate) that people who want to return to the UK all mainly have the same reasons for wanting to do so, highest is missing friends and family, next is people who expected to find a UK without all the problems and next is too much month left over at the end of the money. No one wants to return ‘cause they think the crime rate is a problem and fear for how their children will turn out being exposed to and brought up in escalating crime levels like the UK has at present. But most people who want to leave the UK have their children’s safety as a first priority and ARE worried about the rising crime rate in the UK.

2) I have tried to get a balanced view of the cost of specific items in NZ and have only really had a few instances when this information has been given, most times it has been people telling me that direct price comparisons are meaningless (yes I am well aware of this fact but I need the prices to try and work out what my monthly spending will be).

3) People living in, or in suburbs of, cities are the ones who appear to be struggling the most.

4) A lot of the “Doom and Gloomers” appear not to live in NZ although claim to have once lived there.

5) The D&G-ers that do live in NZ mainly appear to live on North Island.

6) If it is so hard to live in NZ and survive on the wages why are so many people still there? Up to now I have heard so much conjecture and very little hard fact. I read somewhere (on this forum I think) that 50% of migrants end up leaving NZ to go back home or on to Australia, anyone have a factual account of this? Why anyone would want to go to Australia where a trip to the toilet could result in getting bitten on the knob by a poisonous spider is totally beyond me!!

7) On a light hearted level. Here’s one for the conspiracy theorists, is the doom and gloom just propaganda spread about to keep people out of NZ so it won’t fill up with UK immigrants??..or is that notion really just way too paranoid???

8) The only place in the UK where I have found people who are friendly towards strangers is Scotland. The UK's population is like its beer, the farer north you go the nicer it is.

If I have spat in anyones holy water I apologise.

If any of this is wrong, please let me know.

Last edited by Tech21; Oct 26th 2005 at 10:11 am.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:14 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Negative Vibes.

Originally Posted by Tech21
I have read this thread with interest as a prospective immigrant from the UK to NZ.

Just some observations : -

1) It appears (to me at any rate) that people who want to return to the UK all mainly have the same reasons for wanting to do so, highest is missing friends and family, next is people who expected to find a UK without all the problems and next is too much month left over at the end of the money. No one wants to return ‘cause they think the crime rate is a problem and fear for how their children will turn out being exposed to and brought up in escalating crime levels like the UK has at present. But most people who want to leave the UK have their children’s safety as a first priority and ARE worried about the rising crime rate in the UK.

2) I have tried to get a balanced view of the cost of specific items in NZ and have only really had a few instances when this information has been given, most times it has been people telling me that direct price comparisons are meaningless (yes I am well aware of this fact but I need the prices to try and work out what my monthly spending will be).

3) People living in, or in suburbs of, cities are the ones who appear to be struggling the most.

4) A lot of the “Doom and Gloomers” appear not to live in NZ although claim to have once lived there.

5) The D&G-ers that do live in NZ mainly appear to live on North Island.

6) If it is so hard to live in NZ and survive on the wages why are so many people still there? Up to now I have heard so much conjecture and very little hard fact. I read somewhere (on this forum I think) that 50% of migrants end up leaving NZ to go back home or on to Australia, anyone have a factual account of this? Why anyone would want to go to Australia where a trip to the toilet could result in getting bitten on the knob by a poisonous spider is totally beyond me!!

7) On a light hearted level. Here’s one for the conspiracy theorists, is the doom and gloom just propaganda spread about to keep people out of NZ so it won’t fill up with UK immigrants??..or is that notion really just way too paranoid???

8) The only place in the UK where I have found people who are friendly towards strangers is Scotland. The UK's population is like its beer, the farer north you go the nicer it is.

If I have spat in anyones holy water I apologise.

If any of this is wrong, please let me know.
6) If it is so hard to live in NZ and survive on the wages why are so many people still there?

What other choice have they?.........if they are struggling a flight home and finding somewhere in the UK to live can be a massive ask!

Waaaayyyyyy toooo many generaliastions in this post ...
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:16 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why prople have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Paul,
I agree that they have valid points to make, and it's good that we are made aware of the potential pitfalls of our move. It's the way some of them do it that bothers me.
Cheers,
Mark
It could be a reflection on how desperate they find the situation that they are in......heres hoping it works out for them and that we can all avoid the same pitfalls.....gotta be hard 12k from home and struggling
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:18 am
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by Rascal
Pompey_Paul and others, thanks for your kind coments about us 'doom & gloom" merchants, I am sure all of us out here going through hard times, are not deliberately trying to be doom & gloom merchants but to actually post life what it is really like.
We have sat on that side of the world, looked at the glossy pictures, visited NZ, fell in love with its mountains, beaches and scenery etc and dreamed that life in NZ would be as idylic as its pictures. I for one, would love to say, yes, its brilliant out here, the wages go a long way, we have money left over, it isn't cold in winter, it isn't cold inside the houses and all the other rosy thing so many want to hear..but I prefer to say things as it really is.
Uk house prices shot through the roof, NZ followed. What hasn't increased however in NZ much is the salaries. Food shopping is the same as the Uk here or in some cases you pay more here, power bills are expensive too. In winter the houses ARE cold believe me, in order to be warm, expect HIGH monthly power bills..families coming out here with little capital and one salary will probably struggle financially, its ok sitting 12k miles away and saying thta it doesn't matter as quality fo life in NZ will be better..becuase when you get here and finding it hard to even buy the very basic of things for your children, you wonder where the quality of life is. It is heartbreaking watching the kids go without all the time and forever having to say NO to them when they want ice cream, sweets, treats etc...its times like that when you really sit down and ask yourself....have you really done the right thing in bringing them here?
I know the answer for myself, but only you lot coming out can and will decide that for yourself, a few years into living here and see your debts increase in order to survive, life is not as easy as you may think.
But good luck to you all anyway and I do hope NZ fulfills all of your dreams and you are able to survive and be comfortable with your ingoings and outgoings.
All the best to everyone.
"You can't eat a view" hope it all works out
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:20 am
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Exactly - do the homework - you'll find cost of living is high in proportion to wages.
Either accept it and go or don't accept it and don't go.
Please don't go and then whinge about it.
By all means post it for others to learn from but 'keep it real' and lets get rid of this whinging tone. "oh I flew 12,000miles to be here and left my family blah blah blah and the kiwis should be nicer to me for it."
CRY ME A RIVER!
A Bit harsh mate....have a heart
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
6) If it is so hard to live in NZ and survive on the wages why are so many people still there?

What other choice have they?.........if they are struggling a flight home and finding somewhere in the UK to live can be a massive ask!

Waaaayyyy too mny generalisations and also waaaay too many exaggerations.

It ain't that bloo.dy hard to live in NZ. alot of people do very well in NZ.

At the end of the day a lot of Kiwi's leave NZ for higher wages elsewhere.(as well as other reasons like life experience etc etc etc blah blah blah)
But by and large most return eventually as the lifestyle is better than say UK.
Personally I think australia beats everyone hands down...but i won't go into that.

Here's a generalisation

UK = good money, crap lifestlyle
NZ = good lifestyle, crap money.

We kiwi's....go overseas for a few years - make some dosh...then come back and enjoy it. (another generalisation).

I'll stop now.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:25 am
Just Joined

6)
Like what?

Just in case you missed it I did write : - If any of this is wrong, please let me know.
So don't just give me the puerile one line put down, be constructive if you can.
This is just the response I have come to expect from this forum giving no help at all just some vague attempt at criticism.
I honestly don't know why I bother to post here.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:34 am
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by Tech21
Like what?

Just in case you missed it I did write : - If any of this is wrong, please let me know.
So don't just give me the puerile one line put down, be constructive if you can.
This is just the response I have come to expect from this forum giving no help at all just some vague attempt at criticism.
I honestly don't know why I bother to post here.

Theres one for a start....i could not live further from Scotland and am surrounded by friendly people and good beer

The tone of your post caused me offence...and if you need to apologise for a post at the end...dont post it :scared:
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:36 am
Nice Tats

Waaaayyyy too mny generalisations and also waaaay too many exaggerations.

It ain't that bloo.dy hard to live in NZ. alot of people do very well in NZ.

At the end of the day a lot of Kiwi's leave NZ for higher wages elsewhere.(as well as other reasons like life experience etc etc etc blah blah blah)
But by and large most return eventually as the lifestyle is better than say UK.
Personally I think australia beats everyone hands down...but i won't go into that.

Here's a generalisation

UK = good money, crap lifestlyle
NZ = good lifestyle, crap money.

We kiwi's....go overseas for a few years - make some dosh...then come back and enjoy it. (another generalisation).

I'll stop now.
I would agree with your generalisation .....but i know a lot of people (inc Kiwis) that do find it a struggle...and thats a shame
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:38 am
Just Joined

8)The tone of your post caused me offence
How???
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

A Bit harsh mate....have a heart
Harsh or blunt?
either way the points there although i could have suger-coated it a little.

I realise it can be hard for people on the other side of the planet from their home and even tougher for those who've taken wife and rugrats with them as well.
For me I left NZ for UK 3 years ago.....but i'm travelling alone so don't have half the hassles people here seem to have and I understand that.

What I was trying to get at though was rather than people say it's expensive, the jobs are cr.ap, the people are mean etc etc etc it would be better to give some credibility to those statements with some data, facts, links whatever.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:40 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

What I was trying to get at though was rather than people say it's expensive, the jobs are cr.ap, the people are mean etc etc etc it would be better to give some credibility to those statements with some data, facts, links whatever.
I agree. Good point. The blatant tone has been a bit frustrating to read lately. Carmen.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Oct 26th 2005 at 10:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.