Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:24 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why prople have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by jrsuk73
We haven't got any suggestions but what i can say is after being really positive about moving to NZ my wife had a bad case of shall we shall we not last night due to all the negative feed back on this forum.

It all started off reading a very positive thread then the doom and gloomers came on with there if we don't like it or we haven't been able to make it work bad attitude then no body should be able to.

Don't get me wrong it is always good to hear both sides but when there is a positive thread to help people see through the doom and gloom leave it that way.If need be start a new thread and moan as much as you want,that way you have a choice whether to read it or not.

I had to call my future employer at midnight to put my wife's mind at rest, what he told me was you cant judge the cost of living in NZ on Auckland alone he is in Christchurch and the comparison he gave was Auckland is like London over priced rat race and Christchurch is more affordable. I was concerned that the wages i would be earning would not be enough to survive with a family of five and he assured me it was by also giving me websites of local supermarkets to research along with property just to see what we could get for our money.

At the end of the day life is what you make it, from what i have learnt on this forum if your going out there thinking with the exchange rate being good your going to be mega rich forget it.NZ is very much a family country,some where you can bring your kids up safe and that is priceless.

Jon
Well said Jon! Karma to you if I can.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Not quite re "Life is what you make it" that IMO is total bull.
I have met lots of British migrants who have come to NZ (and left) and their stories bare very similar resemblence to ours.
In the Uk, we had good jobs, good employers, good salaries and was well thought of. The decision to emigrate was tough. Not only had we to give all that up, but our families and friends too.
Now if you think that we and all the people I know of who have had it rough in NZ with work situations amongst other things, came out here with the attitude "Oh well we shall just sit back, expect a huge salary, good job, decent boss and hope it all falls into our laps" Well, let me tell you, we didn't!
We have worked SO hard to make a go of it here and fit in, but the truth of the matter is...some Kiwis DO NOT want migrants here, full stop, end of story. Its no secret that over 50% of migrants return or go to OZ later.
Its no secret either that 1 in 3 children in Auckland live in poverty.
The salary and cost of living may be deemed as 'doom & gloom" to some, but its fact, whether you choose to believe it or ignore it, is up to you. But its there all the same.
And besides, isn't this forum about ALL people in NZ not just the happy rich ones?
Sorry if it disappoints anyone, but I would rather tell things as they are, I am not a tour operator selling holidays with glossy dreamy pictures.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:22 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ghanghro
Hi everyone,

Me and my wife started to explore about NZ last year and finally came up with an idea to move there. Our EOI was selected from the very first selection in March-05. Since our case was handled in Bangkok Branch, it took us 6 months to receive our ITA. Anyways, just today we're ready to send our formal application along with all the required documents.

During all these times, we've been exploring forums / other sites and etc to judge what should we expect once we'll arive in NZ. One thing that we've never been to able understand is why most of the people send NEGATIVE SIGNALS about life in NZ. Specially when someone tries to compare it with Australia then the situation becomes worst. OK, I agree that Australia is a bigger country with of course huge economy which will result in more chances to work but still why people are always trying to justify that if Australi is good then the NZ must be bad.

I'm an experienced IT Professional and have been in touch with some recruitment agencies there in NZ since last couple of weeks or so. The picture looks good at the moment for IT Guys and I'm hopeful that we'll be OK there. So overall we are planning to come there with a positive attitude but what I think is that NZ seriously needs an Awareness Campaign to clear the doubts that people have about the life there.

Just a last point: We've been reading a lot about the Expenses in NZ. Though we havnt been there but what we've seen on the web sites (cost of livings sections) and through some of the friens who are living there, beleive me its nothing there if you compare it with the expenses here in DUBAI. If you really want to see an expensive city to live in, just give Duabi a try for few months. Just to give you an idea, people are forced to pay 60% of there monthly income for House Rent only and in many cases, people nowadays cant even afford to rent a house here and they live in shared accomodations.

Any suggestions, views will be welcome to clear our doubts

Ghanghro
It certainly isn't entirely hopeless here as the doom and gloomers would have it (or maybe it is for them).

Expenses here depend very much on where you live - the bigger the city the more money it will cost to live. And it is becoming more expensive to own your own home in NZ unless you have big bucks. But guess what - about 4 mill of us do manage to live succesful and happy lives - forget the posts about 'kiwis are all moving to Oz" - it's rubbish - a certain amount of NZers have always crossed the Tasman (my eldest son for one) in search of a better life. Some find it , some don't. Horses for courses I expect).

I also suspect Britishers (I hope that's an ok term) tend to spend more on processed food (apparantly cheap in Britain?) than in NZ . Here it is probably cheaper to buy seasonal veg and fruit (cheaper and tastes better in my opinion). I guess it's a matter of learning the best ways to budget in what ever country you live.

Obviously moving to a new country is fraught with difficulties and I admire those who make the move. Good luck to you and next time you read something negatve - go fish! The fish is great, you can catch it for free (although I confess to losing more lures than I should to the dreaded baracutta) and in a hotish buttery pan with garlic.... yum!

And who am I - well, just one of those ordinary NZ'ers who live off an ordinary NZ wage.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
It certainly isn't entirely hopeless here as the doom and gloomers would have it (or maybe it is for them).

And who am I - well, just one of those ordinary NZ'ers who live off an ordinary NZ wage.
Doom & Gloom?? Reality more like it!
Ordinary NZ'r..yeh, one who hasn't had the expense of upping sticks 12k miles, the expense that goes with and the experience that gets dished out by SOME Kiwi employers. Not nice, family to feed and a 12k mile journey only to be treated like a nobody in the workplace and inferior.
Dont worry always another plane load of migrants to take the place of those that leave.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Rascal
Ordinary NZ'r..yeh, one who hasn't had the expense of upping sticks 12k miles, the expense that goes with and the experience that gets dished out by SOME Kiwi employers. Not nice, family to feed and a 12k mile journey only to be treated like a nobody in the workplace and inferior.
Dont worry always another plane load of migrants to take the place of those that leave.
My point exactly.

I'm an ordinary NZ'er. Never "upped sticks" - you did! Not my fault. Having said that, I have sympathy for you Rascal _ I know your situation ls hard and I'm happy to help if I can - please feel free to email if you think I can help.

Elizabeth
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

I also suspect Britishers (I hope that's an ok term) tend to spend more on processed food (apparently cheap in Britain?) than in NZ . Here it is probably cheaper to buy seasonal veg and fruit (cheaper and tastes better in my opinion). I guess it's a matter of learning the best ways to budget in what ever country you live.

When I came here I was told what healthy eating people the Kiwis are..WE have alot of fresh produce every day,and the cost of this by comparison to the UK is alot dearer....you name a product...here it costs more.

As for processed food...I have yet to see where you can buy a good choice of cooked meats....and not the macerated,processed shaved stuff that seems to be passed off for food, there is more pies/Quiche culture here than I have ever known in the UK...and recipes still encourage to cook with Butter....yes we do all have to adapt ...but a $ can only stretch so far

We all came to NZ to fulfill ambitions...what ever they might be are for each person. As said before many of us are coming here with young children to support, given up family, friends, jobs.....and Home...in pursuit of a better quality of life ...this as I am sure for everyone is founded on financial security..Just want to pay the bills at least....why does that seem so difficult to understand...it is a heart wrenching time for people...We too had all the excitement and anticipation of what many are still to embark upon...I am not trying to stop people making there decisions...so why should I be invalidated with mine. I can only express this opinion as it is what I am living with
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by melting pot
I also suspect Britishers (I hope that's an ok term) tend to spend more on processed food (apparently cheap in Britain?) than in NZ . Here it is probably cheaper to buy seasonal veg and fruit (cheaper and tastes better in my opinion). I guess it's a matter of learning the best ways to budget in what ever country you live.

When I came here I was told what healthy eating people the Kiwis are..WE have alot of fresh produce every day,and the cost of this by comparison to the UK is alot dearer....you name a product...here it costs more.

As for processed food...I have yet to see where you can buy a good choice of cooked meats....and not the macerated,processed shaved stuff that seems to be passed off for food, there is more pies/Quiche culture here than I have ever known in the UK...and recipes still encourage to cook with Butter....yes we do all have to adapt ...but a $ can only stretch so far

We all came to NZ to fulfill ambitions...what ever they might be are for each person. As said before many of us are coming here with young children to support, given up family, friends, jobs.....and Home...in pursuit of a better quality of life ...this as I am sure for everyone is founded on financial security..Just want to pay the bills at least....why does that seem so difficult to understand...it is a heart wrenching time for people...We too had all the excitement and anticipation of what many are still to embark upon...I am not trying to stop people making there decisions...so why should I be invalidated with mine. I can only express this opinion as it is what I am living with
I notice you are talking shaved meats and quiches - processed food don't you think?

I'm not attacking anyone here, I have already said I admire people prepared to make such a huge move. My point is - it's not MY fault it doesn't work out for some people - heck it's not NZ's fault. You ask why it's so difficult for people to understand you. Don't know sorry.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
I notice you are talking shaved meats and quiches - processed food don't you think?

I'm not attacking anyone here, I have already said I admire people prepared to make such a huge move. My point is - it's not MY fault it doesn't work out for some people - heck it's not NZ's fault. You ask why it's so difficult for people to understand you. Don't know sorry.

Not NZ's fault....Well I think so...certainly in the UK, New Zealand isn't portrayed in the way I have found,or why else would so many people be discussing the same issues on this Forum....Why would I think its YOUR fault...are you Helen Clarke in disguise ?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice

Not quite re "Life is what you make it" that IMO is total bull.
I have met lots of British migrants who have come to NZ (and left) and their stories bare very similar resemblence to ours.
In the Uk, we had good jobs, good employers, good salaries and was well thought of. The decision to emigrate was tough. Not only had we to give all that up, but our families and friends too.
Now if you think that we and all the people I know of who have had it rough in NZ with work situations amongst other things, came out here with the attitude "Oh well we shall just sit back, expect a huge salary, good job, decent boss and hope it all falls into our laps" Well, let me tell you, we didn't!
We have worked SO hard to make a go of it here and fit in, but the truth of the matter is...some Kiwis DO NOT want migrants here, full stop, end of story. Its no secret that over 50% of migrants return or go to OZ later.

Its no secret either that 1 in 3 children in Auckland live in poverty.
The salary and cost of living may be deemed as 'doom & gloom" to some, but its fact, whether you choose to believe it or ignore it, is up to you. But its there all the same.
And besides, isn't this forum about ALL people in NZ not just the happy rich ones?
Sorry if it disappoints anyone, but I would rather tell things as they are, I am not a tour operator selling holidays with glossy dreamy pictures.
Quite a grim picture you keep painting Rascal.
Maybe the problem is the area that you are in (where do you live?) or have you experienced anti migrant vibes elsewhere?
Did you have any idea of the cost of living or how you would be accepted before you made the big decision? I dont belive that anyone could make such a life changing decision and not do a certain amount of homework. How long have you been there? Have you changed location? Had you visited NZ before.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:26 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I DID travel 12k miles but I'm married to a Kiwi and we have no young children. So, apologies on that front because I really have no idea what it is like to live as a family in New Zealand. I've also only been here 4 months so I can't possibly know what it's like to live here. I have to have been here at least a couple of years before I really know what it's like. So now that I've got the objections out of the way....

We're not rich but we're very happy here. My hubby had lived out of NZ for 12 years before coming home and if anything it has been more difficult for him to settle than it was for me. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that he's felt 'at home'.

I appreciated every bit of advice given to me by Debs and Sky and used it to my advantage when we got here. But there were times when I really got the heebie jeebies reading some posts. I'm not saying that these scenarios don't exist. They do. But, not for us and not for an awful lot of people. If that sounds like "I'm allright Jack" well I'm sorry but I came here for a better life and I'm not going to apologise for having it.

On the money front, we've only been in our house for 6 weeks, just long enough to get the first run of bills. Exactly what I expected them to be and we can afford to pay them. We have a large mortgage and although we're both working, we're not in high paying jobs. I'm a PA and hubby sells cars.

Hubby was telling me that nearly every day a new immigrant from the UK walks onto the yard. Every time he asks them if they're on one of the forums and he has yet to get an affirmative answer. There are thousands of emigrants who leave their countries every year to come here. Thousands go back over the years for one reason or another but what about the others? the ones you stay? There will be a small percentage who would like to go back but can't afford to. That can happen anywhere - I knew loads of people in London who couldn't afford to go home to Ireland to live.

We're not clones, therefore, what will work for me may not work for you and vice versa. A lot of it will be down to the type of person you are, a little bit of luck and equity in the property market And for anyone who thinks that Kiwis don't like English people - my Mother in Law came here in 1955 and she told me that in those days there were two types of people from the UK - POMS and Englishmen. We had an English couple around for a bbq and when they left she said to me "he's an Englishman". She thought he was lovely. Same as anywhere - it's very rare for a stranger to take against you for no other reason than your nationality. And as an Irish person who lived in London I know that for a fact. NZ has its problems, loads of this weekend in fact where it seemed that there was a lot of gang trouble around the country. But, I'd bet anything that next long weekend there will be steps taken to ensure it won't happen again. That's what it's like here.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:51 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loxley
Quite a grim picture you keep painting Rascal.
Maybe the problem is the area that you are in (where do you live?) or have you experienced anti migrant vibes elsewhere?
Did you have any idea of the cost of living or how you would be accepted before you made the big decision? I dont belive that anyone could make such a life changing decision and not do a certain amount of homework. How long have you been there? Have you changed location? Had you visited NZ before.
I suspect you're a troll, you seem to just pop up to have a go at a few folk and then disappear for a while. I think I know who you are as well!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:56 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I DID travel 12k miles but I'm married to a Kiwi and we have no young children. So, apologies on that front because I really have no idea what it is like to live as a family in New Zealand. I've also only been here 4 months so I can't possibly know what it's like to live here. I have to have been here at least a couple of years before I really know what it's like. So now that I've got the objections out of the way....

We're not rich but we're very happy here. My hubby had lived out of NZ for 12 years before coming home and if anything it has been more difficult for him to settle than it was for me. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that he's felt 'at home'.

I appreciated every bit of advice given to me by Debs and Sky and used it to my advantage when we got here. But there were times when I really got the heebie jeebies reading some posts. I'm not saying that these scenarios don't exist. They do. But, not for us and not for an awful lot of people. If that sounds like "I'm allright Jack" well I'm sorry but I came here for a better life and I'm not going to apologise for having it.

On the money front, we've only been in our house for 6 weeks, just long enough to get the first run of bills. Exactly what I expected them to be and we can afford to pay them. We have a large mortgage and although we're both working, we're not in high paying jobs. I'm a PA and hubby sells cars.

Hubby was telling me that nearly every day a new immigrant from the UK walks onto the yard. Every time he asks them if they're on one of the forums and he has yet to get an affirmative answer. There are thousands of emigrants who leave their countries every year to come here. Thousands go back over the years for one reason or another but what about the others? the ones you stay? There will be a small percentage who would like to go back but can't afford to. That can happen anywhere - I knew loads of people in London who couldn't afford to go home to Ireland to live.

We're not clones, therefore, what will work for me may not work for you and vice versa. A lot of it will be down to the type of person you are, a little bit of luck and equity in the property market And for anyone who thinks that Kiwis don't like English people - my Mother in Law came here in 1955 and she told me that in those days there were two types of people from the UK - POMS and Englishmen. We had an English couple around for a bbq and when they left she said to me "he's an Englishman". She thought he was lovely. Same as anywhere - it's very rare for a stranger to take against you for no other reason than your nationality. And as an Irish person who lived in London I know that for a fact. NZ has its problems, loads of this weekend in fact where it seemed that there was a lot of gang trouble around the country. But, I'd bet anything that next long weekend there will be steps taken to ensure it won't happen again. That's what it's like here.
Im glad you're settling Batty, you're house is lovely and the summer is coming on so lots of opportunities for BBQ's and socializing
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:13 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sky I've even got a tan My face has never had a hint of colour (other than out of a jar) in its life!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us Kiwi's do experience that....you'll find a lot of us doing exactly that in the UK.

Crickey.....UK sucks as a place to live....petrol might be $1.50 in NZ but it's 60% higher in UK. Wages aren't 60% higher.

What's 12K miles got to do with living standards?!?! What's is NZ supposed to do about the distance you have to travel to make life easier for you?

Don't sit there and think you're the only ones that travel and deal with the inherent hassles.

That statement was probably one of the worst i've ever read on any forum.
Utter Bollocks!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:25 am
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Stevemw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Some of us Kiwi's do experience that....you'll find a lot of us doing exactly that in the UK.
Agreed. I've worked with a lot of Kiwis in London, They were usually hired to do the boring jobs nobody else wanted, but I never, ever, heard one of them complaining about it.
Regards,
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.