Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

[QUOTE=turkeytickler]
Originally Posted by benultimate

i dont think there is a _massive_ difference between the uk and nz in terms of weather - certainly not in the south island anyway.....granted it is better but not by much and its not like you can rely on it....

as your rightly say horses for courses - but for me (a) judging by some of the posts on here i would argue that waterskiiing _is_ a lifestyle for the wealthy - they cant make ends meet without a second income.... and (b)if you participate in a lifestyle that involves ripping up and down lakes or rivers in a motor vehicle you do that at the expense of the lifestyle choice of someone who might want some tranquility - hardly "100% pure" is it.... although i accept there is plenty to go around for everyone :-). Also in the UK we do have cities that are delightful and not in the least grim - Edinbugh, Bath, Norwich, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol even the big ones still have soul.... I cant name a single city in NZ that isnt grim - although i have not visited them all so am happy to be correted...and ok our moutains arent as high but our best scenery has its own character - and we have far less restricted access to it thanks to the National Trust and centuries of public footpaths....

i guess i have a bit of a chip on my shoulder from all the ribbing i had to take from my (kiwi) wife's friends about the uk when we lived in london..... :-) - my wife however who can hardly be accused of being biased has come to similar conclusions to myself....

In all fairness NZ is a beautiful place and if its where you were brought up you are obviously likely to connect with it better that i have.... i guess the main thing for me is the lack "europeanness" about it and in fairness if thats what i want I really should bugger off back to Europe and stop moaning!! :-)
were in2 our 3rd year here in london so that is evidence enough that where reas happy on balance weve holidayed in wales and the scottish highlands it really is incred beautiful and we do rate it to our mates back home! weve only lived in london which does have a dirty and congested feel to it and almost everyday is literally grey-but london is not england! just like akl is not nz! but london is a magic place too, 7millon people cant be wrong! kiwis need to stop being so one-eyed about nz, i wonder if isolation plays a role here? i have wondered though y brits move to the s.island from the uk, it seems like swaping one coldish place for another-the east coast of the n.island has weather similar to aussie and really nice beaches..just a thought? the only other thing that makes nz worth the trouble is gettn involvedin outdoor stuff! take up surfn/skiiing/kayaking/pleasure boating/tramping/camping/hunting overnighters etc this is not expensive really-it would seem crazy to travel half way round the world to still continue the old life? but i do understand some of your gripes mate and hope it has been not too regretable for yas..take care guys. (y dont u think about smaller city aussie?)
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:57 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

to say NZ is the worst place in the world for smog is bordering on daft!
Christchurch does on occasion, when there is no wind in winter have a topographical cause of open fire polution.However, this is a situation that happens for around a month per calender year.
To put this into perspective, NZ as a whole has very little atmospheric polution.Diesel particals alone in London exceed all of NZ's ppm of diesel particals, and they are there all day, every day of all year.Inturn, London is exceeded on a list so long it falls into three figures.Now where is the logic in saying NZ is the island of smog?Utter nonsense.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deedee
Christchurch does on occasion, when there is no wind in winter have a topographical cause of open fire polution.However, this is a situation that happens for around a month per calender year.
To put this into perspective, NZ as a whole has very little atmospheric polution.Diesel particals alone in London exceed all of NZ's ppm of diesel particals, and they are there all day, every day of all year.Inturn, London is exceeded on a list so long it falls into three figures.Now where is the logic in saying NZ is the island of smog?Utter nonsense.
sort of mate, i here christchurch has smog that kills 7-8 people a year and that our air pollution is second only to L.A, the only reason nz is clean and green is the people to land ratio, kiwis pollute just as well as everyone else, for example last time i was in chch there were signs on both main beaches saying water is polluted and dont have your head under and the same in akland..water pollution that bad from a city 22 times smaller than london?..then theres the lakes in the s.island that are dying-not great bud, our uk mates were shocked
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

I am on the negative side of NZ as a place to live, vacation maybe, live no. We spent 3 yrs in NZ and are now in Australia and hand on heart Australia is a great deal more appealing and liveable. The creepy crawlies are not a problem in the urban areas and tempreture wise not everywhere is a boiling desert. I would really advise anyone looking into NZ to look into Oz as well. It is highly likely that what you are looking for in terms of migration drivers is more easily obtainable in Oz with it's larger economy and better weather. I respect those that have chosen NZ but we made the mistake in opting for NZ as the migration process was quicker and easier plus we thought it would be very similiar to Australia - it is not.

I think there are a lot of negatives posted about NZ because for many it really is very oversold and does not live up to the hype.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:10 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by deedee
it was in a WHO publication somewhere... sorry i cant recall the exact source...

Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
What tripe that website is! People wouild be mad to come back here. Maybe the nz govt should ask why 600 a week leave?
I would say that is a sign of one VERY desperate government.
It has exhausted Uk, Sth Africa, Asia, Canada, USA in its attempt to bring in migrants..now all it has left in a last ditch effort to stay afloat is to entice (and fail) its own back. Sad.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
I respect those that have chosen NZ but we made the mistake in opting for NZ as the migration process was quicker and easier plus we thought it would be very similiar to Australia - it is not.

I think there are a lot of negatives posted about NZ because for many it really is very oversold and does not live up to the hype.
You are not wrong there.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:16 am
turkeytickler

[QUOTE=benultimate]
Originally Posted by turkeytickler

were in2 our 3rd year here in london so that is evidence enough that where reas happy on balance weve holidayed in wales and the scottish highlands it really is incred beautiful and we do rate it to our mates back home! weve only lived in london which does have a dirty and congested feel to it and almost everyday is literally grey-but london is not england! just like akl is not nz! but london is a magic place too, 7millon people cant be wrong! kiwis need to stop being so one-eyed about nz, i wonder if isolation plays a role here? i have wondered though y brits move to the s.island from the uk, it seems like swaping one coldish place for another-the east coast of the n.island has weather similar to aussie and really nice beaches..just a thought? the only other thing that makes nz worth the trouble is gettn involvedin outdoor stuff! take up surfn/skiiing/kayaking/pleasure boating/tramping/camping/hunting overnighters etc this is not expensive really-it would seem crazy to travel half way round the world to still continue the old life? but i do understand some of your gripes mate and hope it has been not too regretable for yas..take care guys. (y dont u think about smaller city aussie?)

the south island was our choice mainly because we wanted to give nz a try for our baby boy (born 4 weeks ago) and wanted to be around my wife's parents who live nearby.

Hope you liking london - whereabouts are you? lived in bayswater for a while... miss the pubs, dont miss queensway!

Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=turkeytickler]
Originally Posted by benultimate

the south island was our choice mainly because we wanted to give nz a try for our baby boy (born 4 weeks ago) and wanted to be around my wife's parents who live nearby.

Hope you liking london - whereabouts are you? lived in bayswater for a while... miss the pubs, dont miss queensway!

yeah living somewhere different is great in itself, of course londons such a focal point in the world and very very busy..but great pubs(ill have one for ya ) and so much choice for variety in entertainment, and of course the one major thing nz lacks-history! a really pleasent fusion of old and new..on balance, great place for a year or three. we're somewhere in canonbury closeish to edgeware station..was here for that dark day!!poor bastards..very hard to strike up a conversation with people though always avoid eye contact..quite wired comn from nz where people keen to bowl up and hav a chat anywhere
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:04 pm
isv
Forum Regular

isv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by livewire
I used to think that this would be a good place to retire to, but then with doctors fees, prescription charges, no proper heating, high energy costs and all the rest I'm starting to think this isn't the place to be growing old and frail in.

I suppose us Brits have got most of europe to choose from so we don't necessarily have to return to the UK though.
We've been pursuing the same thoughts... definitely would prefer split our retirement between NZ (for UK Winter) and UK (or somewhere else in Europe) for the N. hemisphere summer. Just need to save up the pennies to make it happen!

So I've been looking at extending our software models to include some other European destinations (currently you can use them to work out relative benefits of moving between UK/NZ/AUS)... but boy some of the taxation/benefits systems are a nightmare compared to NZ! I reckon just adding France alone might take me a month or more.

Mind you... if I were starting a (large) family I think France is the place to be - the benefits look incredible.

Alan.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:05 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by isv
We've been pursuing the same thoughts... definitely would prefer split our retirement between NZ (for UK Winter) and UK (or somewhere else in Europe) for the N. hemisphere summer. Just need to save up the pennies to make it happen!

So I've been looking at extending our software models to include some other European destinations (currently you can use them to work out relative benefits of moving between UK/NZ/AUS)... but boy some of the taxation/benefits systems are a nightmare compared to NZ! I reckon just adding France alone might take me a month or more.

Mind you... if I were starting a (large) family I think France is the place to be - the benefits look incredible.

Alan.
Yeh the riots look great.