Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:53 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why prople have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by jrsuk73
We haven't got any suggestions but what i can say is after being really positive about moving to NZ my wife had a bad case of shall we shall we not last night due to all the negative feed back on this forum.

It all started off reading a very positive thread then the doom and gloomers came on with there if we don't like it or we haven't been able to make it work bad attitude then no body should be able to.

Don't get me wrong it is always good to hear both sides but when there is a positive thread to help people see through the doom and gloom leave it that way.If need be start a new thread and moan as much as you want,that way you have a choice whether to read it or not.

I had to call my future employer at midnight to put my wife's mind at rest, what he told me was you cant judge the cost of living in NZ on Auckland alone he is in Christchurch and the comparison he gave was Auckland is like London over priced rat race and Christchurch is more affordable. I was concerned that the wages i would be earning would not be enough to survive with a family of five and he assured me it was by also giving me websites of local supermarkets to research along with property just to see what we could get for our money.

At the end of the day life is what you make it, from what i have learnt on this forum if your going out there thinking with the exchange rate being good your going to be mega rich forget it.NZ is very much a family country,some where you can bring your kids up safe and that is priceless.

Jon
INMHO it looks like a lot of the "Doom and Gloomers" have very relevant points to make ....they dont emigrate to NZ and go to all the effort involved with that and want to to not like it......they have done their research and found its not the paradise that they thought it would be.........they really do us a favour by posting these problems, dont forget that they are actually there in NZ doing it whilst for most of us we are on considering the move or going through the process.

Myself i have accepted that the COL is much higher the wages are much lower so i will prepare myself on that basis and am grateful that people on the forum are giving me the benefit of their "hard won" experience.

keep doing your research and prepare yourself ...... i am sure you will be OK
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

come on you lot lets all stop this now.lets just say if you wanna make it work and i dont at least you have bloody tried your best and if it has then well done .my family and i are hoping to be out in NZ by July next year and we are going to give it our best and follow our dreams, to make a better life for us and our 2 boys
Kerrie and chay
Originally Posted by sky
Im glad you're settling Batty, you're house is lovely and the summer is coming on so lots of opportunities for BBQ's and socializing
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:50 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melting pot
Again its all in the interpretation isn't it,those who come here and comment on struggling,called moaners...good god..if your wife needed reassurance great..it means your checking what you are doing...something I didnt do, so why ask the advise of strangers...whats in it for us to say how it is...maybe ask yourself why do you only want to hear the good bits...or maybe the truth is too close to the knuckle...lets hope your not back on here when you arrive struggling like MANY of us,and not just in Auckland...its country wide ! If your finances pan out,great,good luck to you...if not...maybe then you will understand why some of us are on here asking the pointed questions...after all,we are living here...what would we know
Hi all, I must admit when we thought about moving to NZ I thought my life would be rosy. I am glad that people take the time to tell how it really is and now I am going over there with a different attitude and with the full knowledge that it will be hard and I wont be loaded. Better that than arriving and expecting more and being very disappointed. Just gotta work hard and earn those bucks to feed and clothe the family just as we do here. Just hope the sun shines at least thats for free...

Sue
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about

just to say when I replied to this thread, it was not meant to offend anybody. we are going to NZ with not a huge amount of money both my wife and I no that we will have to work very hard and long hours to make ends meet, but that is no different to what we do in the UK. If this is what it takes to allow our children to stay as children then it will be worth every pain staking hour.

We have never for one moment had rose tinted glasses. We are certainly not moving with any great expectations.

We can fully understand that its not easy, as we've hit rock bottom in the UK and had to build ourselves up from ashes. We feel for those of you that are missing your family, sadly for me (Helen) I will not have that luxury, I lost my Mum 11 yrs ago aged 53 and the longing never goes away to do the small things in life that are taken for granted. What keeps me going is that I know my mum would have been very proud of us as a family and would of supported us in our quest to NZ!

Jon & Helen
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
INMHO it looks like a lot of the "Doom and Gloomers" have very relevant points to make ....they dont emigrate to NZ and go to all the effort involved with that and want to to not like it......they have done their research and found its not the paradise that they thought it would be.........they really do us a favour by posting these problems, dont forget that they are actually there in NZ doing it whilst for most of us we are on considering the move or going through the process.

Myself i have accepted that the COL is much higher the wages are much lower so i will prepare myself on that basis and am grateful that people on the forum are giving me the benefit of their "hard won" experience.

Hi Paul,
I agree that they have valid points to make, and it's good that we are made aware of the potential pitfalls of our move. It's the way some of them do it that bothers me.
Cheers,
Mark
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:26 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ghanghro
Hi guys,

If I ever knew, this thread will bring a heated discussion like this, I wouldnt have started it.

Annereb! Thanks buddy for providing positives I'll look forward to more comments

Markk: well said.

My turn to turn off lights, its quite late here

Ghanghro
I'm another of the 'negative' posters. All I can say is I notice that you didn't take the so called negative views on board.
Deb is saying that it's a diff kettle of fish if you've emigrated here recently. In the last 4 years the cost of living has gone through the roof. Most people here politely ask why you're here and not in Oz as 600 peeps per week leave. Before you ask why I'm here, a) none of yours and b) each to their own and we all have our own reasons. It's not as easy as just packing a suitcase and heading off back home.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Pompey_Paul and others, thanks for your kind coments about us 'doom & gloom" merchants, I am sure all of us out here going through hard times, are not deliberately trying to be doom & gloom merchants but to actually post life what it is really like.
We have sat on that side of the world, looked at the glossy pictures, visited NZ, fell in love with its mountains, beaches and scenery etc and dreamed that life in NZ would be as idylic as its pictures. I for one, would love to say, yes, its brilliant out here, the wages go a long way, we have money left over, it isn't cold in winter, it isn't cold inside the houses and all the other rosy thing so many want to hear..but I prefer to say things as it really is.
Uk house prices shot through the roof, NZ followed. What hasn't increased however in NZ much is the salaries. Food shopping is the same as the Uk here or in some cases you pay more here, power bills are expensive too. In winter the houses ARE cold believe me, in order to be warm, expect HIGH monthly power bills..families coming out here with little capital and one salary will probably struggle financially, its ok sitting 12k miles away and saying thta it doesn't matter as quality fo life in NZ will be better..becuase when you get here and finding it hard to even buy the very basic of things for your children, you wonder where the quality of life is. It is heartbreaking watching the kids go without all the time and forever having to say NO to them when they want ice cream, sweets, treats etc...its times like that when you really sit down and ask yourself....have you really done the right thing in bringing them here?
I know the answer for myself, but only you lot coming out can and will decide that for yourself, a few years into living here and see your debts increase in order to survive, life is not as easy as you may think.
But good luck to you all anyway and I do hope NZ fulfills all of your dreams and you are able to survive and be comfortable with your ingoings and outgoings.
All the best to everyone.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:03 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE but to actually post life what it is really like.
. [/QUOTE]

For you.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
For you.
& and many other families surviving here too. lol Ones that I know of personally! Sorry I didn't make that clear in my post did I?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul

Exactly - do the homework - you'll find cost of living is high in proportion to wages.
Either accept it and go or don't accept it and don't go.
Please don't go and then whinge about it.
By all means post it for others to learn from but 'keep it real' and lets get rid of this whinging tone. "oh I flew 12,000miles to be here and left my family blah blah blah and the kiwis should be nicer to me for it."
CRY ME A RIVER!

Last edited by kelvynd; Oct 26th 2005 at 5:18 am.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:11 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Exactly - do the homework - you'll find cost of living is high in proportion to wages.
Either accept it and go or don't accept it and don't go.
Please don't go and then whinge about it.
By all means post it for others to learn from but 'keep it real' and lets get rid of this whinging tone. "oh I flew 12,000miles to be here and left my family blah blah blah and the kiwis should be nicer to me for it."
CRY ME A RIVER!
Absoluty Kel.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

No-one expects the 'kiwis to be nicer to me because I have come 12k miles etc"...
Just to 'be nice' would be a start.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody forced you all to come 12,000 miles to NZ, it was your own choice. COL might be high and salaries low, but THAT'S NZ. What did you all expect? An England down under?

Personally for us we have found NZ to be an excellent move. We did our research and came with an open mind. We knew we would have tough times here, EXACTALLY as we had tough times in the UK.

Just to make it clear, we didn't come out here with loads of money, I work a fairly ordinary job, but we have a great life and a great lifestyle. We budget as we did in the UK. Somethings here are cheaper, others more expensive. You learn to shop and eat like a kiwi, buy whats on offer, eat local produce and buy kiwi brands - rather than paying a fortune for UK brands.

Gill
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

We shop at Pak n save, NZ's Cheapest, am I missing something? Does Pak n Save HAVE UK brands?? If they have, I must have missed them or maybe, I dont buy them because UK brands (when you find them) are TOO dear!
Dont assume because we are Brits therefore our shopping bills are high because we buy Uk foods. I for one dont. I buy Pams products at Pak n save or cheapest on offer, and I still cant get my bill down either..
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
No-one expects the 'kiwis to be nicer to me because I have come 12k miles etc"...
Just to 'be nice' would be a start.
Well I don't know who you're dealing with day to day but kiwi's (and ozzies)are considered to be very friendly people. I have to say i'm suprised that you are finding otherwise.....kiwi's are so laid back it's ridiculous sometimes.

The say home is where the heart is.
I find Kiwi's to be very friendly but then i'm from NZ.
I found the biritsh to be very rude and inconsiderate when I was there. But perhaps because you're form there you found otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.